Rumor: DW in panic mode; Clowe Available (Murray and Handzus Gone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Why do people like Perron so much? I don't have a problem with him but I'd rather bring a few different pieces from Thornton than just one winger for Couture.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Anyone listening to KNBR right now? Ratto apparently has a regular gig with Tolbert now and I just turned it on and they're talking about the Sharks right now. Don't know when they started talking Sharks but Ratto basically said Burns is an overpaid sub-par defensemen and the Sharks moved him to forward because he sucks as a defensemen and they shouldn't have traded for and given Burns all that money if he's gonna be a permanent forward because top 6 forward is easier to get than a top 4 d-man.

Ratto also said that this is Marleau's best year as a Shark and they should trade him for as much as they can.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Why do people like Perron so much? I don't have a problem with him but I'd rather bring a few different pieces from Thornton than just one winger for Couture.

Yea, I'm with you on this one. I just don't feel like Perron is a good enough piece of the return.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Anyone listening to KNBR right now? Ratto apparently has a regular gig with Tolbert now and I just turned it on and they're talking about the Sharks right now. Don't know when they started talking Sharks but Ratto basically said Burns is an overpaid sub-par defensemen and the Sharks moved him to forward because he sucks as a defensemen and they shouldn't have traded for and given Burns all that money if he's gonna be a permanent forward because top 6 forward is easier to get than a top 4 d-man.

Ratto also said that this is Marleau's best year as a Shark and they should trade him for as much as they can.

That's Ratto for you. :laugh:

vatali

Life Long Slacker
May 27, 2005
Middle of nowhere
Lets not forget that DW likes to make splashy trades. This is what I see next

Boyle, Hertl, Petrecki ,1st, 2nd for Ovy.

DW sheds enough cap, trades his first that hasn't played, more draft picks and anotehr random (replace petrecki with anyone, maybe even another salary dump) for a guy that "will perform" with JT and can score. Then Ovy will come enjoy the sun, stop scoring and occasionally hit the post in the playoffs.....

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Lets not forget that DW likes to make splashy trades. This is what I see next

Boyle, Hertl, Petrecki ,1st, 2nd for Ovy.

DW sheds enough cap, trades his first that hasn't played, more draft picks and anotehr random (replace petrecki with anyone, maybe even another salary dump) for a guy that "will perform" with JT and can score. Then Ovy will come enjoy the sun, stop scoring and occasionally hit the post in the playoffs.....

I hope he does this and then Thornton and Ovy have 120+ pt seasons each while the rest of the team combines for only 100 pts total. Just because that'd be hilarious.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
You know who has speed, sniping ability, and goes to the net?

Marleau, of course.:)

Marleau is, in a way, versatile. Exceptional defensively, and for most of his career. He's always providing great defensive play and PK-play...

I wish he were more physical, but that's clearly not him. Regardless, while he isn't going to rub elbows along the boards, he can bear down on the net.

With Marleau...while he brings a good set of skills, he stylistically is a bit one-dimensional offensively. Offensively, he lacks the ability to play a more East-West game...he simply isn't a great possession player...the puck needs to get off his stick quickly. In that cycling setup, he works mostly as a trigger-man, and in that role he's good, but not great. Moreover, he isn't a great passer (though improved), he isn't a great dangler, and his skating strength lies in pure speed more than in cutting or edgework. Plus, he can't handle being the guy in front of the net. Personally, I'd say his hockey sense is a shade below elite...

Compare him to a player like Heatley in his first year here. He didn't have Marleau's legs, but he could play both styles, much thanks in part to his hockey sense and ability to pass the puck well (plus, of course, his great shot).

The reason I don't harp on Marleau, though, is that he is giving what he's got. It isn't like he has shown he can be a great playmaker in the past. He's not Datsyukian with the dekes or with the legs. Plus, he has never been a physical player. I'll take his ability to be tremendously successful in a transition game, a good complementary player in an east-west game, and his really good defensive abilities, and call it a win.

Comparatively, Thornton leaves you wanting more. With his frame, he could be driving to the net with authority. He could be the guy standing in front, taking the punishment. We've seen a shot that scored over 30 goals in the DPE NHL. Yet, he hardly does any of that.

Since 2008, I'd say that Thornton has been the slightly more valuable player of the two compared to Marleau, though Marleau has closed that gap tremendously with a few great years. That shouldn't be happening; Thornton could be the team's hands-down MVP...he has that ability to win the game on his stick.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
We've seen a shot that scored over 30 goals in the DPE NHL. Yet, he hardly does any of that.

That version of Thornton was basically a faster, more skilled and more mentally unhinged version of Clowe. Sure that'd be fun to have but then everyone would ***** about all the fights and penalties.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
David Pollak ‏@PollakOnSharks 3m
Since you asked: In addition to two from NYRs, scouts from MON, NYI, CAR, BUF, BOS, STL, TOR, WIN, NSH and PHX for #SJSharks vs. ANA.

Lotta scouts in the house.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands

Ratto is my hero

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Ratto is my hero

ratto.jpg

"You have good taste. I'll email you a pizzaroll!"

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Schwartz is a pretty damn good young player man.

The problem with this is that Schwartz is slightly more proven than Coyle and I know there's been a lot of talk about how Wilds' fans are going on about how they won that trade. Anyways, Schwartz has a lot of good potential but he's played less than 30 games, it's not much at this point.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
That version of Thornton was basically a faster, more skilled and more mentally unhinged version of Clowe. Sure that'd be fun to have but then everyone would ***** about all the fights and penalties.

Well at this point, there's no one like Eric Lindros to beat Thornton's face in so it probably would've been pretty okay.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

How many times over the past 5 years have the fans said that the team needed someone like Owen Nolan? Heck, Iginla had often been talked about as the ideal player.

Plus, I'd want Thornton to tone down the fighting and bad penalties while keeping up the aggressive play.

skilks

This is nightmare
Jul 14, 2009
San Francisco
www.facebook.com
I don't think Clowe moves until Iginla does. We will likely get the best value for Clowe once Iggy is claimed. That will leave the people who lost out on him battling for the next best thing on the market.

BadVooDoo

May 3, 2010
If DW can con someone into taking Handzus and Clowe I'd be laughing to my way to the bank if I were him. Trading Murray for potentially two 2nd rounders was just robbery, talk about addition by subtraction.

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007

Good god

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad