Rumor: DW in panic mode; Clowe Available (Murray and Handzus Gone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Yeah, Bruin fans think Shawn Thornton is better than Clowe. I left after I read that.

Let me find a reaction.... oh yeah
tumblr_mfgwseiol11s19sbzo1_500.jpg

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Trading/buying out Burish would save close to 2 million, and it's not a good move to trade Braun. Braun is signed for another 2 years on a great contract. He's at worst a #5, and he has the potential to develop into a very good #3/4. Plus, you can't go into the season with only 6 defensemen on your roster. The huge downgrade to someone like Petrecki isn't worth the <500k you'd save in cap.

1) Burish is not eligible for the compliance buyout
2) If he is traded, his roster spot does not disappear. The Sharks would still need to spend about 1 million on his roster spot.

Lack of clarity on the issue of # of D-men on the roster. Currently, it isn't six defensemen:
Boyle
Burns
Vlasic
Stuart
Demers
Irwin
Braun

Honestly, I wouldn't mind swapping out that 7th D-man with Petrecki. With the way Irwin is playing, who out of that group deserves to be moved? It should come down to one of Demers or Braun, and Demers simply has the higher ceiling. Of course, that is IMO. Plus, Irwin, Demers, and Braun have all earned the right to at least #6 playing time. I don't think the Sharks can continue to carry that quality of D-men next year. Honestly, injuries and Irwin not playing so well made it possible this year...

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Let me remind you that you all made proposals like Goc + 2nd for Campbell, and 4th-round-pick for Rivet, and 3rd-round pick for Curtis Brown, Ehrhoff for a 1st + 2nd, etc. etc.

Plus, no one thought that Murray or Rivet merited two second-round-picks, that Toskala could get the Sharks a first, a second, and a team to take Bell's contract off SJ's books, that the Sharks could get Heatley for Michalek and Cheechoo, that the Sharks could get ANYTHING for Heatley, etc. etc.

I remember people being surprised that Nick Bonino and Michael Sgarbossa had such low value...

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I'd actually love to see Nonis or Chiarelli trade for Clowe, giving up a 1st and a top prospect, and then the fans pull a 180 and say their GM made a steal of a trade :laugh:

If Clowe finds his game..hes a good piece on a team. I think a lot of people have forgotten that due to this year.

AJ SF4L

#GoSharks
Sep 1, 2011
San Jose
If Clowe finds his game..hes a good piece on a team. I think a lot of people have forgotten that due to this year.

Oh, I agree. Clowe is getting severely underrated due to the terrible season he's had so far, mostly thanks to constantly playing injured. I'm mostly commenting on the fact that some of these fans are acting like trading for Clowe will destroy their team. I'll love seeing the change in demeanor once a team picks up Clowe and he starts playing more towards his usual self.

Clowe to Boston for Malcom Subban. Do it DW.

Why on Earth does San Jose do that with Stalock, Sateri, Heemskerk, and Anderson all in the pipeline?

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
1) Burish is not eligible for the compliance buyout
2) If he is traded, his roster spot does not disappear. The Sharks would still need to spend about 1 million on his roster spot.

Again, for #1, we don't know that yet. It could be true, but from what I've read, the whole minimum cap-space thing was only a requirement for the accelerated buy-outs this season. If anyone wants to ask Dreger, that'd be awesome. I tweeted him like three times about the subject and haven't gotten a response.

Lack of clarity on the issue of # of D-men on the roster. Currently, it isn't six defensemen:
Boyle
Burns
Vlasic
Stuart
Demers
Irwin
Braun

Honestly, I wouldn't mind swapping out that 7th D-man with Petrecki. With the way Irwin is playing, who out of that group deserves to be moved? It should come down to one of Demers or Braun, and Demers simply has the higher ceiling. Of course, that is IMO. Plus, Irwin, Demers, and Braun have all earned the right to at least #6 playing time. I don't think the Sharks can continue to carry that quality of D-men next year. Honestly, injuries and Irwin not playing so well made it possible this year...

I never said we only had 6 defensemen right now. I said if you trade Braun, next year, they'd only have 6 NHL caliber defenseman (with Petrecki as the possible 7th).
Irwin actually hasn't played that well. No better than Braun in my opinion (who has been stuck with Murray in all the games he played except for like 2). Irwin is better offensively for now, but he's still extremely raw defensively. Plus who knows how good he'll be next season. Everyone loved Braun last season, but now he's in everyone's doghouse.
As for your point of who deserves to be moved, no one does. You keep them all. Good offensive defenseman are hard to find. If you're thinking of moving someone, Boyle should be the first one to go. He'll save you the most cap-space and he'll get you the best return.

Last edited:

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Let me remind you that you all made proposals like Goc + 2nd for Campbell, and 4th-round-pick for Rivet, and 3rd-round pick for Curtis Brown, Ehrhoff for a 1st + 2nd, etc. etc.

Plus, no one thought that Murray or Rivet merited two second-round-picks, that Toskala could get the Sharks a first, a second, and a team to take Bell's contract off SJ's books, that the Sharks could get Heatley for Michalek and Cheechoo, that the Sharks could get ANYTHING for Heatley, etc. etc.

I remember people being surprised that Nick Bonino and Michael Sgarbossa had such low value...

Just to toot my own horn, I predicted exactly that. Nailed it almost exactly at the time and you are correct, no one believed me. I said it will either Michalek + Cheechoo or Clowe + Cheechoo, purely based on math, and Michalek was more likely. Sens fans almost lost their damn minds at the suggestion heh.

murdock1116

May 27, 2010
Los Angeles
I could see DW holding onto Clowe if he doesn't get the value he wants for him.

But come trade deadline I bet there are a lot of teams calling.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Just to toot my own horn, I predicted exactly that. Nailed it almost exactly at the time and you are correct, no one believed me. I said it will either Michalek + Cheechoo or Clowe + Cheechoo, purely based on math, and Michalek was more likely. Sens fans almost lost their damn minds at the suggestion heh.

Believe it or not, I literally was going to add "except for hockeyball" to that last one, since you very vociferously predicted that, but I figured your ego was already big enough :).

Brokencow

Nov 11, 2003
Oakland
Visit site
Why on Earth does San Jose do that with Stalock, Sateri, Heemskerk, and Anderson all in the pipeline?

Pray they pan out and then test them all until one of them sticks as a full time top 10 goaltender. You want an allstar starter and a backup trying to steal his job at all times.

Niemi has been good this year but I'm still on the fence about him.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Pray they pan out and then test them all until one of them sticks as a full time top 10 goaltender. You want an allstar starter and a backup trying to steal his job at all times.

Why does he have to be a top 10 goaltender? If they don't become a top 10 did they not pan out then? Youre kinda asking for a lot wanting an allstar starter and a backup that's also nearly of allstar quality.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Niemi has been awesome but he has his warts. Hes not incredibly mobile and doesn't have good post to post push off explosion, he makes a lot of his saves through great positioning and compete level. He could improve his puck handling and communication with the D. Way too many mistakes and turnovers have been mix ups behind the net due to this. Niemi has had his best season so far and the Sharks would be in even worse shape if it weren't for him so hats off to him.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I tell you who I want from the B's

Alexander Khokhlachev

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/alexander_khokhlachev/

Slick puck carrier, creative passer and courageous goal scorer. Khokhlachev has a knack for surveying the ice, disguising his intensions and then distributing the puck to the best option. Without the puck, he’s willing to get to the dirty areas and has an explosive release, making him a dangerous finisher as well. Defensive work is spotty, as a winger he’s prone to losing his man, as a center he struggles to read the coverage. Skating is also a mixed bag, some things he does very well; he has good acceleration, crosses over well, good top-speed, he can stop on a dime, and he’s able to shake defenders by opening up his hips, putting his skates at “3” and “9” o’clock a la Jeff Skinner, but he also lacks elite top-speed, struggles with changes in direction and with skating backwards in general.

After coming over from Russia after the lockout, he put up great numbers for Windsor.

2012-13 Windsor Spitfires OHL 29 22 26 48

He is now up playing for Providence in the AHL.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Saw something this morning on TSN that the Flyers have been scouting the sharks. The writer (guy from minnisota) speculated that they are interested in getting burns from the sharks and called him a good "reclimation" project. lol

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Saw something this morning on TSN that the Flyers have been scouting the sharks. The writer (guy from minnisota) speculated that they are interested in getting burns from the sharks and called him a good "reclimation" project. lol

haha, wtf.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR

:laugh:

Some guy in the waivers thread on the trade board was predicting Burns would be on waivers by next season.

skilks

This is nightmare
Jul 14, 2009
San Francisco
www.facebook.com
I tell you who I want from the B's

Alexander Khokhlachev

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/alexander_khokhlachev/

Slick puck carrier, creative passer and courageous goal scorer. Khokhlachev has a knack for surveying the ice, disguising his intensions and then distributing the puck to the best option. Without the puck, he’s willing to get to the dirty areas and has an explosive release, making him a dangerous finisher as well. Defensive work is spotty, as a winger he’s prone to losing his man, as a center he struggles to read the coverage. Skating is also a mixed bag, some things he does very well; he has good acceleration, crosses over well, good top-speed, he can stop on a dime, and he’s able to shake defenders by opening up his hips, putting his skates at “3†and “9†o’clock a la Jeff Skinner, but he also lacks elite top-speed, struggles with changes in direction and with skating backwards in general.

After coming over from Russia after the lockout, he put up great numbers for Windsor.

2012-13 Windsor Spitfires OHL 29 22 26 48

He is now up playing for Providence in the AHL.

I think this is the best trade value we could get for Clowe, but all articles are pointing towards the B's pushing hardest for Iginla, so who knows if they have the cap space or desire for Clowe as well

SFSharkie

Jul 2, 2009
San Francisco
I think the B's are pushing hard for Iggy as many reporters are saying but I think Feaster might really mess this up if he doesn't change his demands

IMO he is asking for something like

Spooner+1st+Subban
or
Spooner+1st+Khokhlachev

either way, even if those 1sts were 2nds both are overpayment IMO considering the 35 year old Iggy they would be getting.

Assuming that is what is happening I wouldn't be surprised to see the B's call us about Clowe and end up paying significantly less. We'd take Koko + 1st :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad