Confirmed with Link: Duclair, '25 7th to Tampa for D Thompson, '24 3rd

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Oh there’s plenty to complain about - it’s just this particular thing seems like complaining for the sake of giving your fingers something to do. It’s objectively good asset management and it’s pretty silly to think DUCLAIR is going to ruin the tank. This team is godawful, he didn’t change a thing about that fact.

Not my fault you see it that way and decide to not read what I said and then start lobbing insults my way.

I never said the trade was bad. I never said he ruined the tank.

I said I was not excited about a 3rd being the best we got this deadline from our best flippable/rental asset, and that I think Duclair played well enough to get us a couple points we might not have with Lorentz or whomever on the team, and that we could therefore miss out on being the worst team in the league with the best odds to get Celebrini.

After we missed out on a top 3 pick last year because we eeked out a few points we might not have if we traded players sooner, or didn't have certain players, you might take just a moment to understand why I have some uneasy feelings towards that happening again this year.

Reactions: landshark

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Not my fault you see it that way and decide to not read what I said and then start lobbing insults my way.

I never said the trade was bad. I never said he ruined the tank.

I said I was not excited about a 3rd being the best we got this deadline from our best flippable/rental asset, and that I think Duclair played well enough to get us a couple points we might not have with Lorentz or whomever on the team, and that we could therefore miss out on being the worst team in the league with the best odds to get Celebrini.

After we missed out on a top 3 pick last year because we eeked out a few points we might not have if we traded players sooner, or didn't have certain players, you might take just a moment to understand why I have some uneasy feelings towards that happening again this year.
Sure, but the worst team in the league last year who we lost out to by 2 points was the Ducks, at 58 points from 23 wins and 12 OTL's. Hawks at 26-49-7.

We iced a roster that is on track for 19-20 wins, and might not get there. And we're still second-worst, which sucks. But was Grier (or anyone) supposed to clearly predict just how bad the Hawks were going to be? Remember the hawks also tried to sign veteran leaders (even better ones than us - Perry) to be a bit more competitive and mentor their young players. So it's not like Grier messed up significantly by doing what he did in the offseason - we were universally seen as the likely 32nd best team in the league. He was doing his job.

It's a bummer that the best we got was a 3rd, I agree, but it's hard for me to rail against Grier for that.

As I've said... My opinion is that Grier hasn't proven it yet, but he also hasn't made any real major mistakes and he's had a few pretty major wins. The rest is on the margins and within noise.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Listening to Grier's press conference, he mentions targeting Thompson because our system lacked defensemen of his age group. I guess that's the nice way of saying "the previous GM's idiot son spent literally all 10 of his draft picks that year on undersized wingers."
It's sort of crazy when you think about it. The forward group he inherited (talking younger players/prospects here) was poor, but the defense and goalie positions were stunningly barren.

Who was there? 4th round pick Gannon Laroque? The uninspiring 2nd round pick Artemi Kniazev? Undrafted Nikolai Knyzhov? Oh, right...and Ryan Merkley. We tried to have hope, but even the most optimistic around here must have heard the voices whispering in their ears about this group.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
It's sort of crazy when you think about it. The forward group he inherited (talking younger players/prospects here) was poor, but the defense and goalie positions were stunningly barren.

Who was there? 4th round pick Gannon Laroque? The uninspiring 2nd round pick Artemi Kniazev? Undrafted Nikolai Knyzhov? Oh, right...and Ryan Merkley. We tried to have hope, but even the most optimistic around here must have heard the voices whispering in their ears about this group.
This. Not only did Grier inherit a bunch of terrible contracts for aging star players and subsequently a terrible cap sheet, he also inherited a full on bagel in terms of prospects outside of Eklund. Yikes...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00