Confirmed with Link: Duclair, '25 7th to Tampa for D Thompson, '24 3rd

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
From a more unbiased source (The Hockey News):
Jack Thompson and Roman Schmidt are their best prospects on the back end. Thompson is a two-way defender with a very good shot, and he can get into dangerous shooting positions. His defensive game took big steps over the last couple of years as well. He lacks the dynamism to be a true impact player at the next level, but after a solid AHL rookie season, he should be a name to watch for the Lightning moving forward.
And from a month ago in The Athletic, Scott Wheeler ranked him #3 in the Lightning system:
Offensively, he’s a shoot-first defender who likes to attack off the line, can beat goalies cleanly with his shot, and does a good job getting hard shots through traffic from the point. That aggression that he plays with in the offensive zone has also become a part of his game defensively, where he doesn’t search out hits but plays physically, using his timing to close gaps. He has upside as a solid third-pairing defenseman and a floor, at the very least, as an AHL call-up option. He’s not a super creative offensive playmaker, nor does he have the size that teams covet in their staunch defensive types, but he has a little bit of both along with a pro build and makeup and desirable handedness.
2024 NHL prospect pool rankings: No. 29 Tampa Bay Lightning

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Wheeler ranked him as the third best Tampa prospect recently. Tampa itself was 29th in his ranking. sees his upside as a solid 3rd pair D, worst case „call-up option“.

Invisible piece in this trade: Sharks get rid of the very real risk that the red hot Duke will win them some games down the stretch.
Genuinely, we have at least a couple points in the standings because of Duclair that we otherwise wouldn’t have.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Good job Grier, solid trade maybe even came out a little ahead given that Duclair isn’t very good without the puck or in the D zone. It’ll be interesting to see the impact this has on zetterlund as it seemed like they had pretty good chemistry

Reactions: cheechoo

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Good job Grier, solid trade maybe even came out a little ahead given that Duclair isn’t very good without the puck or in the D zone. It’ll be interesting to see the impact this has on zetterlund as it seemed like they had pretty good chemistry
Just load up Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlund so I have something to enjoy. F*** the other three lines.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
The Sharks are a Granlund trade away from rolling out a top line of Hoffman-Eklund-Zetterlund. Let's go get Macklin!!
mild-headache-headache.gif

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Another very young right shot defenseman? He’ll get a chance here. Good work MGGM. A third round pick and no retention?? Even better.
The lack of retention is pretty great if there's hope of trading Barabanov (or a couple others--but I haven't really had hope of Hoffman being desirable to anyone else for some time now).

And I know people are mad that Barabanov wasn't dealt last year at this time, but I do think his extra year under contract mattered and would've made a deal more difficult. Would other GMs have predicted his struggles this year? Maybe not to this level, but that's not to say there weren't reasons for concern. So I think some of the negativity toward Grier on that front might be somewhat overblown.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
The lack of retention is pretty great if there's hope of trading Barabanov (or a couple others--but I haven't really had hope of Hoffman being desirable to anyone else for some time now).

And I know people are mad that Barabanov wasn't dealt last year at this time, but I do think his extra year under contract mattered and would've made a deal more difficult. Would other GMs have predicted his struggles this year? Maybe not to this level, but that's not to say there weren't reasons for concern. So I think some of the negativity toward Grier on that front might be somewhat overblown.
Good point on Barbie.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

He makes $2.5M. Hardly would have crippled a team having the extra year.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
That checks out. Hope Duke wins a Cup and then comes back to the Sharks this summer. I’ve never liked a guy who played 75% of one season for the Sharks as much as I like Duclair.

SAME! What a likable dude. I like watching him and he’s frankly adorable with Zetts and Eklund. I think he genuinely loved it here and I hope next year he comes back to a slightly better team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad