Confirmed with Link: Duclair, '25 7th to Tampa for D Thompson, '24 3rd

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Everywhere I read, people say Jack Thompson is quite a good young defencemen, under the radar to a degree. Very nice catch by MG, I love these moves where a need is addressed and acquired at a low cost. In this case we even got a 3rd round pick and only gave up a rental player (that has good chance of coming back)

MG, you are the mvp!
MikeGrier.jpg

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
What were your expectations exactly?

Everything I’ve read of him is actually quite positive. Curious to see what he can do. What’s his “everything goes right” ceiling?

That was right around what I expected which is why I never liked us picking him up.

He is not good enough to produce well on a shit team like ours, which meant that all the people pretending we’d flip him at the deadline for anything meaningful were always dreaming, and he is just good enough to help the team win a couple games hurting the actual point of this year, draft 1st.

Would much rather have just kept the pick and Lorentz and played someone like Bords all year.

• Haha
Reactions: CaptainShark

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
That was right around what I expected which is why I never liked us picking him up.

He is not good enough to produce well on a shit team like ours, which meant that all the people pretending we’d flip him at the deadline for anything meaningful were always dreaming, and he is just good enough to help the team win a couple games hurting the actual point of this year, draft 1st.

Would much rather have just kept the pick and Lorentz and played someone like Bords all year.

I think the 3rd rd pick and a good D prospect (of which we barely have any) is a pretty great pickup and better than Lorentz and a 5th was it? Duke won a couple of games for us probably but we’re also still very horrible and tied for last place - I won’t be surprised if the Hawks win more games than us from here on.

Eggdoh

Aug 25, 2022
Sounds like Duclair was a really good locker room presence for the young guys. If he wants to come back on a reasonable deal, I'd be glad to welcome him back. But this seems like a pretty good return, especially considering he struggled at points this season.

On the other hand, and I'm not knocking Thompson at all, but how many 3rd pairing defensemen can we ice in the coming years? Seems like we've got about 10 of them.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
DW Jr was a disaster for the future of the Sharks
He was nothing but a terrible nepotism hire
i have little doubt he was being groomed to be anointed Sr's heir to the GM's throne

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
I'm relieved Duke got traded for a good return. He was a little too productive for a team that needs to be dead last. But I hope this isn't it and we'll ship out more productive older players.

Another important note, I'm also glad that Chicago isn't trading away any notable player. The season might be on the line as a single point separates us and Chicago. I say we trade away Kahkonen.

Chrona looks real good.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I think the 3rd rd pick and a good D prospect (of which we barely have any) is a pretty great pickup and better than Lorentz and a 5th was it? Duke won a couple of games for us probably but we’re also still very horrible and tied for last place - I won’t be surprised if the Hawks win more games than us from here on.

Oh now he’s already a good D prospect lol.

I agree this trade in a vacuum is fine, never said otherwise, but in the bigger picture picking up Duclair and making this trade, did almost nothing to help our rebuild, and if we don’t get Celebrini because we miss out on being the worst team by a couple points, it may have been a negative thing.

We’ll see, I just never liked picking Duclair up when we are trying to tank, but if it all works out in the end great.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020

I agree this trade in a vacuum is fine, never said otherwise, but in the bigger picture picking up Duclair and making this trade, did almost nothing to help our rebuild, and if we don’t get Celebrini because we miss out on being the worst team by a couple points, it may have been a negative thing.

We’ll see, I just never liked picking Duclair up when we are trying to tank, but if it all works out in the end great.
I get that it was probably the wrong player type for tanking, but it worked out fine in the end.
Anthony Duclair had an important role this year for us, it was more of a veteran locker room guy that helps the young players but also knows how to score and help them that way.
I feel like there is as many stories as there is players in the roster about how Duclair affected the locker room in such a positive way. In the end I see Duclair visit as a net positive experience + the 3rd and Thompson coming back.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

This feels like complaining for the sake of complaining. Several young guys have directly credited Duclair with helping them this season. He was a good leader for the team and this is a pretty good return for him. I feel like there’s a subset of this board that needs to find something to complain about every time the Sharks do anything.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
If they hadn't picked up Duclair, there would have been someone else playing in his place. So it's a moot point.

Yep. And no one at his level or higher who would’ve been worth more in a trade would’ve signed here nor was anyone at his level available for that cheap of a trade that I’m aware of.

Also, I love Duclair but come on, he’s not Karlsson, I’m not going to blame him for ruining the rebuild, heh, we’re a historically bad team, there’s really not much further to fall.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
I am a big fan of this deal. I think it is smart to trade for players who are being blocked by guys at their position in the organization. It seems like Thompson was blocked by the Tampa depth at RHD so he seems like a player who we got at a discounted price on what he should cost. If I have to choose between Lorentz a 5th and a 7th or Thompson and a 3rd I am taking Thompson and a third every day of the week.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yep. And no one at his level or higher who would’ve been worth more in a trade would’ve signed here nor was anyone at his level available for that cheap of a trade that I’m aware of.

Also, I love Duclair but come on, he’s not Karlsson, I’m not going to blame him for ruining the rebuild, heh, we’re a historically bad team, there’s really not much further to fall.
For me, the only logical reason to not have acquired Duclair is because the Karlsson trade was going to produce a few dumps that could've been used in his place where he wasn't necessary. But I also don't think his impact is really a determining factor for where we place in the standings. Being around a half a point per game on a bad team doesn't move the needle all that much when he scored a whopping 11 points in four wins and two OTL's.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I get that it was probably the wrong player type for tanking, but it worked out fine in the end.
Anthony Duclair had an important role this year for us, it was more of a veteran locker room guy that helps the young players but also knows how to score and help them that way.
I feel like there is as many stories as there is players in the roster about how Duclair affected the locker room in such a positive way. In the end I see Duclair visit as a net positive experience + the 3rd and Thompson coming back.

I’m glad Duclair was a good dude and people like him, but forgive me for not really putting any value on that when this team, and locker room, will/should be completely gutted and/or changed within about 2-4 years.

His contributions to the locker room are ultimately fleeting and useless to the future of this team. Simply because this roster just won’t be there in the future, and outside of Eklund, none of our more important prospects actually got to benefit at all from his contributions.

My opinion would differ if we do sign him again this offseason to be a leader for the future, but for this season I simply don’t care how swell of a dude he was or how good this locker room is feeling.

This feels like complaining for the sake of complaining. Several young guys have directly credited Duclair with helping them this season. He was a good leader for the team and this is a pretty good return for him. I feel like there’s a subset of this board that needs to find something to complain about every time the Sharks do anything.

Yeah yeah yeah, trot out the good ol line that anyone who isn’t blowing bubbles and sunshine out their ass about this team must only be complaining to complain. There is simply no chance that anyone could find reason to legitimately find faults or complaints about this wonderful team and the direction it’s going in.
I’m so sorry that not everyone can only focus on the teeny silver linings of this terrible season, and dares to voice a mildly negative opinion about something instead.

I’m so glad he was a leader to our team full of vets and mid 20s barely nhl caliber players, I’m sure that will pay dividends to our actual prospects that are currently in the minors, overseas, or that we haven’t even drafted yet.

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
For me, the only logical reason to not have acquired Duclair is because the Karlsson trade was going to produce a few dumps that could've been used in his place where he wasn't necessary. But I also don't think his impact is really a determining factor for where we place in the standings. Being around a half a point per game on a bad team doesn't move the needle all that much when he scored a whopping 11 points in four wins and two OTL's.
Hoffman was a dump. Rutta and Granland will probably get a return next deadline. They'll be UFAs end of next season. The EK65 trade tree keeps growing.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Hoffman was a dump. Rutta and Granland will probably get a return next deadline. They'll be UFAs end of next season. The EK65 trade tree keeps growing.
Rutta and Granlund were dumps from Pittsburgh to make the money work. We're just lucky enough to be able to salvage some value out of them.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Cas

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I’m glad Duclair was a good dude and people like him, but forgive me for not really putting any value on that when this team, and locker room, will/should be completely gutted and/or changed within about 2-4 years.

His contributions to the locker room are ultimately fleeting and useless to the future of this team. Simply because this roster just won’t be there in the future, and outside of Eklund, none of our more important prospects actually got to benefit at all from his contributions.

My opinion would differ if we do sign him again this offseason to be a leader for the future, but for this season I simply don’t care how swell of a dude he was or how good this locker room is feeling.

Yeah yeah yeah, trot out the good ol line that anyone who isn’t blowing bubbles and sunshine out their ass about this team must only be complaining to complain. There is simply no chance that anyone could find reason to legitimately find faults or complaints about this wonderful team and the direction it’s going in.
I’m so sorry that not everyone can only focus on the teeny silver linings of this terrible season, and dares to voice a mildly negative opinion about something instead.

I’m so glad he was a leader to our team full of vets and mid 20s barely nhl caliber players, I’m sure that will pay dividends to our actual prospects that are currently in the minors, overseas, or that we haven’t even drafted yet.

Oh there’s plenty to complain about - it’s just this particular thing seems like complaining for the sake of giving your fingers something to do. It’s objectively good asset management and it’s pretty silly to think DUCLAIR is going to ruin the tank. This team is godawful, he didn’t change a thing about that fact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad