Confirmed with Link: Duclair, '25 7th to Tampa for D Thompson, '24 3rd

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
He makes $2.5M. Hardly would have crippled a team having the extra year.
Wouldn't cripple them, that's for sure--but I think we've seen in recent years with the mostly-stagnant cap that managers are being very careful to retain as much flexibility as possible going forward into the coming season.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Fans of both teams seem to be generally good with this trade, with those on the bad side being TBL fans. Time will tell be early returns seem like good work by GMMG.

The feel makes the current TBL seem like the 2019 Sharks.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Thompson has the same AHL points per game as Bordeleau this season despite being younger and a defenseman.

OTOH it's not a great sign that the Bolts were willing to move him in such a low leverage trade given their perpetual need for cheap right shot dmen.

Reactions: landshark

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Hurray, a 3rd for a 5th, 7th, and maybe a couple wins lead by Duclair to help us not finish last.

What an absolute waste this season is turning out to be if the our “best” flippable asset nets us a measly 3rd while also contributing to us missing on Celebrini.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Thompson was the Crunch Assistant Captain and most consistent Defenseman at 21 years old. As other have mentioned, he was selected to the AHL All Star Game this season.
Tampa believes they have plenty of RHD talent, and some "knowledgeable" posters ranked Thompson at number five in the overall depth for RHD. Watching Thompson play since he came to the AHL, San Jose is getting a fine young defenseman with leadership skill who is still developing his game and should be at least a bottom pair/NHL depth defenseman.
What he lacks in size he more than makes up for in heart and something you cannot train younger players; hockey sense.
Good move by Sharks Management that could easily come back around to bite Tampa Bay where they sit.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Hurray, a 3rd for a 5th, 7th, and maybe a couple wins lead by Duclair to help us not finish last.

What an absolute waste this season is turning out to be if the our “best” flippable asset nets us a measly 3rd while also contributing to us missing on Celebrini.

What were your expectations exactly?

Thompson was the Crunch Assistant Captain and most consistent Defenseman at 21 years old. As other have mentioned, he was selected to the AHL All Star Game this season.
Tampa believes they have plenty of RHD talent, and some "knowledgeable" posters ranked Thompson at number five in the overall depth for RHD. Watching Thompson play since he came to the AHL, San Jose is getting a fine young defenseman with leadership skill who is still developing his game and should be at least a bottom pair/NHL depth defenseman.
What he lacks in size he more than makes up for in heart and something you cannot train younger players; hockey sense.
Good move by Sharks Management that could easily come back around to bite Tampa Bay where they sit.

Everything I’ve read of him is actually quite positive. Curious to see what he can do. What’s his “everything goes right” ceiling?

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Fans of both teams seem to be generally good with this trade, with those on the bad side being TBL fans. Time will tell be early returns seem like good work by GMMG.

The feel makes the current TBL seem like the 2019 Sharks.

The Pens and the TBL are both due for painful rebuilds in the coming years, the obvious and horrific difference being that they were dynasties whilst we all suffered through many humiliations and no cups. Laugh/cry!

• Wow
Reactions: Chinaski89

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA

Everything I’ve read of him is actually quite positive. Curious to see what he can do. What’s his “everything goes right” ceiling?
Seems to me another Ty Emberson or Henry Thrun caliber D. It’s fine having multiple of them to see who blossoms into a top 4 D. Especially if we may lose Ferraro eventually.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA

That is an interesting question. He does not have the size to move opponents from the front of his net, instead relying on his stickwork and positioning. His offensive upside is where he will make or break his NHL career.

I do not see him progressing to a top pairing defenseman, even going second pairing would mean either continued improvement in his game or a lot of injuries/lack of talent ahead of him.

I am comfortable with him developing into a solid third pairing/second PP player at this point. With an organization that has a lot of depth at the NHL level, he would be a first AHL Call Up option and provide leadership while playing a steady game to the farm team.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
The Pens and the TBL are both due for painful rebuilds in the coming years, the obvious and horrific difference being that they were dynasties whilst we all suffered through many humiliations and no cups. Laugh/cry!
Do not try and tell many of the posters on the Tampa Bay board this. They will call you a liar and tell you they stand with their high priced underperforming core six even when they are using wheelchairs to get to and from the ice surface.

Fans of some organizations fail to see the obvious when it is right in front of them. Tampa Bay is going to have some serious Cap issues this offseason if they opt to resign Stamkos, as his contract will take up most of the available space they have, leaving them with what amounts to pennies to fill out a roster to support the "Big Six" and the 2/3rds of Tampa Bay's Cap space that they take up.

Wheeling and dealing in the offseason might help, except for the trade clauses built into those same contracts.

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
That is an interesting question. He does not have the size to move opponents from the front of his net, instead relying on his stickwork and positioning. His offensive upside is where he will make or break his NHL career.

I do not see him progressing to a top pairing defenseman, even going second pairing would mean either continued improvement in his game or a lot of injuries/lack of talent ahead of him.

I am comfortable with him developing into a solid third pairing/second PP player at this point. With an organization that has a lot of depth at the NHL level, he would be a first AHL Call Up option and provide leadership while playing a steady game to the farm team.
So a better Caleb Addison then. Interesting!

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I was sad to see DW Jr go at first. Now, not so much.

Same. I think once I saw Grier hire like 30 more people than we had in our scouting department I was like… wait a minute, why did we barely have anyone working here? It started to seem a little bit like the last group was a clown show.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
Everywhere I read, people say Jack Thompson is quite a good young defencemen, under the radar to a degree. Very nice catch by MG, I love these moves where a need is addressed and acquired at a low cost. In this case we even got a 3rd round pick and only gave up a rental player (that has good chance of coming back)

MG, you are the mvp!

Reactions: Jargon

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Everywhere I read, people say Jack Thompson is quite a good young defencemen, under the radar to a degree. Very nice catch by MG, I love these moves where a need is addressed and acquired at a low cost. In this case we even got a 3rd round pick and only gave up a rental player (that has good chance of coming back)

MG, you are the mvp!

Especially when most people were saying Duclair was worth just a 3rd WITH retention. Thompson can be nothing or he can end up a good 3rd pairing/2nd PP guy which would be a huge win.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
DW would have gotten a 2nd round pick and then traded that pick at the draft for an older and worse player than Duclair.

• Haha
Reactions: NiWa

Chinaski89

May 17, 2019
Thompson has the same AHL points per game as Bordeleau this season despite being younger and a defenseman.

OTOH it's not a great sign that the Bolts were willing to move him in such a low leverage trade given their perpetual need for cheap right shot dmen.
Their fans are pissed in the thread on the mainboard.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad