GDT: Ducks @ Sharks - 7:30 PM PT - The Optimistic Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I do think it's funny how everyone is acting like they were out of control and a threat to injure people at the end of the game.

It wasn't thuggery, it was just immaturity. That game wouldn't even crack the top ten of Ducks gooning it up.
Call it what you want but it was childish and not what you would expect from "leaders". But we get the same behavior year after year.

Reactions: Yemeth

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I agree with you, they obviously both care a lot about playing and winning (anyone who says otherwise is lying) but I'd like to see them channel that passion into constructive plays on the ice instead of their 38743289th diva fit of their career.

And yes we are all having our fair share of tantrums, myself included, but I'm also not the leadership core of an NHL team. It's not necessarily wrong to expect better from them than ourselves.

I still will cheer them on, I'm more forgiving of them than I am of Carlyle right now but my hope for an attitude improvement is pretty much gone which means I've finally come to terms that we will never win with this core.
I can't agree with that last part because I don't think it has anything to do with being able to win. Our best ever team was lettered by Chris pronger and teemu selanne, a notorious cheap shot artist and a legendary whiner. That didn't mean anything then either.

Reactions: Deuce22

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Exactly. When the going gets tough, this group just starts whining and losing their cool rather than channeling that energy in a positive way. And it has been an ongoing theme since Scotty left. That's not leadership and at this point in their careers there are no acceptable excuses for their behavior. Two years ago I said this team would never win a championship with this core and it's still true.

And that's some great take? Four teams have won in the last decade. Only four. That means 27 other fanbases are playing the woe is me card like they are the only ones.

Winning is hard and just because a team doesn't win doesn't mean everyone should be traded, is useless, or didnt care enough. It's just that hard.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
I can't agree with that last part because I don't think it has anything to do with being able to win. Our best ever team was lettered by Chris pronger and teemu selanne, a notorious cheap shot artist and a legendary whiner. That didn't mean anything then either.

Be able to overcome adversity without the wheels coming off does have a lot to do with winning. Sure you can say it's just one game where Getzlaf lost his cool with the refs but that carries over to all future games. Referees and the NHL have long memories and generally aren't forgiving to insubordination.

The 2007 team did have Selanne and Pronger but they also had a leader like Scott Niedermayer to balance that out.

Reactions: Exit Dose

Sticky2

May 2, 2017

That best team ever had two Norris winners on the ice at the same time. The way they controlled the puck and play was unreal. You just KNEW the Ducks were going to win the cup that year.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Be able to overcome adversity without the wheels coming off does have a lot to do with winning. Sure you can say it's just one game where Getzlaf lost his cool with the refs but that carries over to all future games. Referees and the NHL have long memories and generally aren't forgiving to insubordination.

The 2007 team did have Selanne and Pronger but they also had a leader like Scott Niedermayer to balance that out.
What they had was a great penalty kill to bail them out. "Leaders" like Chris pronger were getting themselves suspended in cup finals games and we had guys step up.

It has nothing to do with tantrums or visual displays of emotion and everything to do with execution, talent, and adherence to a system.

The easiest thing to do is to point to what is easiest to see and make that the reason why.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
That best team ever had two Norris winners on the ice at the same time. The way they controlled the puck and play was unreal. You just KNEW the Ducks were going to win the cup that year.
And Beauch actually led the '07 team in minutes in the playoffs. This has nothing to do with what you said or the discussion taking place:laugh:. But it's a testament to how valuable he was in his first stint.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
What they had was a great penalty kill to bail them out. "Leaders" like Chris pronger were getting themselves suspended in cup finals games and we had guys step up.

It has nothing to do with tantrums or visual displays of emotion and everything to do with execution, talent, and adherence to a system.

The easiest thing to do is to point to what is easiest to see and make that the reason why.

Execution/adherence to the system and not throwing tantrums kinda go hand in hand.

2/3rds of the lettered leaders on this team are failing in that regard, the 3rd is a shell of his former self because he's recovering from hip surgery.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
And I have to say that it really pisses me off to see everyone turn on getzlaf, Perry, and Kesler at the drop of a hat. Getzlaf carried our forward group on his back and played far more minutes than he should have in the games he played. Perry continues to take more abuse than any other forward on this roster, and Kesler is living in constant treatment just to be out on the ice.

It's pretty ****ing lame.

I think a lot depends on what you mean by turning on them. Calling them out because they've been bad this series is nothing to get upset about IMO. Getzlaf has been invisible for the most part. Kesler has been disappointing, but I think most acknowledge he's a shell of himself due to the injury. Perry on the other hand deserves pretty much all the criticism he's getting IMO. Never mind the complete lack of execution or shitty play, but with 3 mins to go in a game we had to have, he takes a run at a Shark. That penalty was one of the worst I've seen in a long time.

If you're talking about moving on from them in general (?): I don't think anyone is saying to move on from Getzlaf. There's frustrations about his leadership, which I do think are a bit overblown. He got the 10 minute misconduct, but we have no idea what was said. I wanted to trade Perry years ago after Bruce's last year. Clearly his game was starting to falter, and IMO, that was the time to move him. The temptation to move one of he or Kesler is because the current core clearly isn't working. The only way you're going to majorly shake up the core is to find a way to move one of them. Obviously much easier said than done though.

Again, I'm not sure what you're referring to by "turning on them", but I don't see a problem with criticizing them for their play this series. Kesler is hurt, which everyone acknowledges. It doesn't make the lack of finishing frustrating. Getzlaf carried us to the playoffs, but that doesn't excuse him for being completely invisible. I don't think anyone is saying he didn't carry us to the post season. Perry, well, he deserves what's being said. No passion until the game is out of hand.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I think a lot depends on what you mean by turning on them. Calling them out because they've been bad this series is nothing to get upset about IMO. Getzlaf has been invisible for the most part. Kesler has been disappointing, but I think most acknowledge he's a shell of himself due to the injury. Perry on the other hand deserves pretty much all the criticism he's getting IMO. Never mind the complete lack of execution or ****ty play, but with 3 mins to go in a game we had to have, he takes a run at a Shark. That penalty was one of the worst I've seen in a long time.

If you're talking about moving on from them in general (?): I don't think anyone is saying to move on from Getzlaf. There's frustrations about his leadership, which I do think are a bit overblown. He got the 10 minute misconduct, but we have no idea what was said. I wanted to trade Perry years ago after Bruce's last year. Clearly his game was starting to falter, and IMO, that was the time to move him. The temptation to move one of he or Kesler is because the current core clearly isn't working. The only way you're going to majorly shake up the core is to find a way to move one of them. Obviously much easier said than done though.

Again, I'm not sure what you're referring to by "turning on them", but I don't see a problem with criticizing them for their play this series. Kesler is hurt, which everyone acknowledges. It doesn't make the lack of finishing frustrating. Getzlaf carried us to the playoffs, but that doesn't excuse him for being completely invisible. I don't think anyone is saying he didn't carry us to the post season. Perry, well, he deserves what's being said. No passion until the game is out of hand.
Criticizing for these three games is completely understandable, but the commentary is going well beyond that because people are losing their minds, which is funny, because they are mad that the players are losing their minds.

Nobody here wants to win more than the guys playing the game.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Criticizing for these three games is completely understandable, but the commentary is going well beyond that because people are losing their minds, which is funny, because they are mad that the players are losing their minds.

That is somewhat ironic, but I don't think most are only upset that specifically. for those that are, I agree with you though. I personally think people are reading too much into Getzlaf's misconduct. If he was screaming Shaw style in the box or something like that, than I'd agree. All I saw was him talking to the refs (looked pretty calm too) and when it came back from commercial he was gone. In games like these, refs will often give misconducts for smaller things in attempt to keep the game under control. I'm pissed at Getzlaf, but because he's been invisible when we need him most. Don't get me started on Perry though. It's one thing to be invisible. It's another to hurt your team. He's hurting more than helping. That's not okay, period.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

Then they should start playing the game. Stop taking stupid penalties when things don’t go their way. Not sure why you think fans should be held to the same standards as the players, we’re not getting paid millions of dollars to comment on the game.

BiasedDuck16

Dec 25, 2011
Canada
These couple games have me really thinking of what could have been in 05.

But who wants the best player in the planet playing on the west coast?

Reactions: Duck Off

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I have to agree, some comments here have been quite off (desperation). Not all though, as some are fair criticism.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
These couple games have me really thinking of what could have been in 05.

But who wants the best player in the planet playing on the west coast?
Getzlaf-Kopitar duo would also be great.
Ryan wasn`t a bad pick tho, nothing to complain.
But i`d be worried about Sid`s health early in the career. It certainly wouldn`t be any easier on the west coast than what he already had.

Reactions: BiasedDuck16

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Static's point is spot on. We expect Getzlaf to "lead" by keeping his cool as his team is getting blown out, and in his mind getting hosed by the refs. But we the fans are acting as silly as Getzlaf did, in reaction to a terrible loss.

I don't care if he makes millions, he's a human being who has been humiliated and is pissed. Emotions got the best of him, just like it did for some of us.

Calling out the players, coach, GM-fine. Being hypocritical, not so much.

Reactions: Kalv and Paul4587

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Ya sorry they get paid 8+ million and they have given a piss poor effort.

Kesler is injured, so i dont hold it against him hopefully he comes back strong next season.

Perry is declining fast and going to be a burden on the team.

Getzlaf is either injured or just doesnt care enough cause hes been awful.

But it all goes back to system and cosching and rc system is outdated, and bm has given away to many assets for nothing.

Plenty of things to be disgruntled about with the state of the team... luckily we have guys like lindholm montour rakell gibson kase that give some form of hope

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
No, that's just me calling BS on your version of events.
I love it. You decided to take a shot at my comment that I thought they'd respond to adversity.

I quoted their record from mid December on, after leading the league in man games lost, as a reason why I thought they would. They have responded to adversity all year, I do not know how anyone can refute this. You don't luck your way to the playoffs while leading the league in injuries. That isn't a thing.

Then you "call me out on my BS version of events". Just, what? Get that garbage out of here man, that is so weak. Go look in the mirror if you want to talk about BS.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Static's point is spot on. We expect Getzlaf to "lead" by keeping his cool as his team is getting blown out, and in his mind getting hosed by the refs. But we the fans are acting as silly as Getzlaf did, in reaction to a terrible loss.

I don't care if he makes millions, he's a human being who has been humiliated and is pissed. Emotions got the best of him, just like it did for some of us.

The immaturity our so called leaders display in blowouts is just the cherry on top of the sundae. The bigger cause of concern is that they can't be bothered to lead by example and give effort in the simplest of situations. That first goal being a prime example of the shit leadership they so often have on display. A couple of strides is all it would have taken for Getzlaf to be in position to tie up Couture, but no that was too much for him.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada

The problem is that Getzlaf isn't bringing it on the ice either. He's losing his cool AND being ineffective. He has a job to do and just isn't doing it. Us as fans don't have any responsibility to anyone but the players do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad