GDT: Ducks @ Sharks - 7:30 PM PT - The Optimistic Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
The immaturity our so called leaders display in blowouts is just the cherry on top of the sundae. The bigger cause of concern is that they can't be bothered to lead by example and give effort in the simplest of situations. That first goal being a prime example of the **** leadership they so often have on display. A couple of strides is all it would have taken for Getzlaf to be in position to tie up Couture, but no that was too much for him.

My point had nothing to do with Getzlaf's play. He has not been good in the series.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Static's point is spot on. We expect Getzlaf to "lead" by keeping his cool as his team is getting blown out, and in his mind getting hosed by the refs. But we the fans are acting as silly as Getzlaf did, in reaction to a terrible loss.

I don't care if he makes millions, he's a human being who has been humiliated and is pissed. Emotions got the best of him, just like it did for some of us.

Calling out the players, coach, GM-fine. Being hypocritical, not so much.
I dont buy it and it sets a bad example for the young players and it likely why we have the rep we do and why the refs call everything on is... look no further than getz perry and kesler

Reactions: Johnny Caravella

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
My point had nothing to do with Getzlaf's play. He has not been good in the series.
Ya so why throw a fit, and take dumb penalties.. your a beast of a player that can control a series if he wants... you want to light a fire under the team score a goal, make effort plays... you dont have to take a dumb penalty... that just hurts the team and fires them up in the wrong way.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The immaturity our so called leaders display in blowouts is just the cherry on top of the sundae. The bigger cause of concern is that they can't be bothered to lead by example and give effort in the simplest of situations. That first goal being a prime example of the **** leadership they so often have on display. A couple of strides is all it would have taken for Getzlaf to be in position to tie up Couture, but no that was too much for him.
Aren't you the guy/girl who wants to bury both getzlaf and Perry down the lineup so they will waive their NMC? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I dont buy it and it sets a bad example for the young players and it likely why we have the rep we do and why the refs call everything on is... look no further than getz perry and kesler

So if our leaders kissed some ref ***, we'd get more calls. Doubt it. Did you watch the Blackhawks in their title runs?? Pens whine constantly. If refs are making calls based on who they like, they are not good officials.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Static's point is spot on. We expect Getzlaf to "lead" by keeping his cool as his team is getting blown out, and in his mind getting hosed by the refs. But we the fans are acting as silly as Getzlaf did, in reaction to a terrible loss.

I don't care if he makes millions, he's a human being who has been humiliated and is pissed. Emotions got the best of him, just like it did for some of us.

Calling out the players, coach, GM-fine. Being hypocritical, not so much.

Fans letting emotions get the better of them during/after a terrible loss has no impact on the game or future games (unless people are throwing shit on the ice), it just causes the fan(s) more stress. Getzlaf losing control of his emotions on the ice during/after a terrible loss has ramifications for the next game, for next season and for the rest of his career. He hasn't been able to figure that out and goes right back out there and does it again whenever the going gets tough and bounces/calls aren't going his way. That is the difference in my eyes and why he is more accountable.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
So if our leaders kissed some ref ***, we'd get more calls. Doubt it. Did you watch the Blackhawks in their title runs?? Pens whine constantly. If refs are making calls based on who they like, they are not good officials.

Taking dumb penalties... because your upset that your losing has nothing to do with kissing ass... that is just dumb immature play by the people that are supoosed to lead our locker.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Fans letting emotions get the better of them during/after a terrible loss has no impact on the game or future games (unless people are throwing **** on the ice), it just causes the fan(s) more stress. Getzlaf losing control of his emotions on the ice during/after a terrible loss has ramifications for the next game, for next season and for the rest of his career. He hasn't been able to figure that out and goes right back out there and does it again whenever the going gets tough and bounces/calls aren't going his way. That is the difference in my eyes and why he is more accountable.

His actions obviously have greater impact than any of ours. But the way we felt last night should make us more able to understand the way he did.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Meh. I want the coach gone. His system doesn’t work well with the players we have, he underutilizes the talents of the players we do have, and he has a GM who can’t/won’t find the types of players he needs for his system.

The GM can stay, unless he keeps the coach.

The leadership...are mental midgets. They’re bullies who respond like bullies always do, they fold when they get punched back harder. The issues are in the support players disappearing because the coach iced a pointless 4th line and crushed the skill out of the 3rd line.

I don’t think we CAN’T win with this group. I think next year is probably it though. And they need a coach who will get the strengths from the team. I’m not sure I trust BM to find that guy.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
His actions obviously have greater impact than any of ours. But the way we felt last night should make us more able to understand the way he did.

I do agree with you, and I 100% get it. We all feel that way, I believe my exact phrase last night was that I felt like I wanted to punch a baby. But it's not hypocrisy because Getzlaf and Perry should be held to a higher standard than the average fan and like I mentioned if this was 1 time or only on occasion then I'd be more forgiving but its been repeatedly over their career.

evomacky

we heff no effor
Jan 7, 2014
Anaheim, CA
as much as a lot of us want a new coach, you all know very well that isn't happening. BM must have been beyond drunk or RC must have a lot of dirt on him to have him back on a 2nd stint knowing full well he lost the same guys that were supposed to be the leaders before. by the looks of things he likely has lost them again (surprise surprise).

the closest we've been to the SCF and losing was due to a coaching issue. BB simply got out-coached by JQ and the hawks eventually won the cup. that team imo was as good as we could have that was worthy of getting the Stanley Cup. that was the best possible path with the best possible current roster. heck we took chicago to 7 games, they took out tampa in what, 5?

now we're a few years slower and older and again its a coaching issue mismanaging the players that we have. we've already lost key players and the coach behind the bench still thinks its 2007 with his dump and chase strategy. he's lost the confidence of the team and thats why they're all scatterbrained out there on the ice.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I do agree with you, and I 100% get it. We all feel that way, I believe my exact phrase last night was that I felt like I wanted to punch a baby. But it's not hypocrisy because Getzlaf and Perry should be held to a higher standard than the average fan and like I mentioned if this was 1 time or only on occasion then I'd be more forgiving but its been repeatedly over their career.

As a fan, I actually prefer players that lose their mind when embarrassed. I don't want guys that just take it and walk calmly into the locker room. It shows caring, if some immaturity. When our team wins, we like the chippiness and anger. When they lose, they should be able to control themselves.

Perry and Kesler would not have evolved into NHL stars without that (edge, chippiness, grit, anger, immaturity). As fans, I think we have to take the good with the bad.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The bully stuff is a double edged sword. We all love it when it's accompanied by good results on the ice, but when it's not it's suddenly reprehensible.

The guys need to be better on the ice, and I still feel they will show some pride in game four. The rest is window dressing and I could care less.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
I love it. You decided to take a shot at my comment that I thought they'd respond to adversity.

I quoted their record from mid December on, after leading the league in man games lost, as a reason why I thought they would. They have responded to adversity all year, I do not know how anyone can refute this. You don't luck your way to the playoffs while leading the league in injuries. That isn't a thing.

Then you "call me out on my BS version of events". Just, what? Get that garbage out of here man, that is so weak. Go look in the mirror if you want to talk about BS.
No, I didn't take a shot. At my comment of the less than inspiring play through the entire season you quoted me the record, and finished it up with "come on". Rest of the back and forth then followed. I think you need to use that mirror please.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
And that's some great take? Four teams have won in the last decade. Only four. That means 27 other fanbases are playing the woe is me card like they are the only ones.

Winning is hard and just because a team doesn't win doesn't mean everyone should be traded, is useless, or didnt care enough. It's just that hard.
Yeah, it is a great take. I never complained because they didn't win a cup. Let's not move the goal posts here. I've complained because when things go wrong they can't handle adversity and resort to childish behavior. We've seen it time and time again. They aren't leading by their play or their demeanor. Their behavior is totally childish. There is nothing professional about their behavior. It's not what you expect from leaders.

I also never said everyone should be traded. I can accept losing when you give your all and try your best. I've said that numerous times in the past. I can't defend or be proud of a team that acts like spoiled brats that didn't get their way when they have nobody but themselves to blame for their failures. They need to act like professionals, suck it up and learn something from the experience. But we've seen year after year that they don't. That's a huge lack of leadership and not the kind of examples you want young players to learn.

Reactions: Yemeth

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
No, I didn't take a shot. At my comment of the less than inspiring play through the entire season you quoted me the record, and finished it up with "come on". Rest of the back and forth then followed. I think you need to use that mirror please.
You took a shot when you said my opinion wasn't based in reality.

I shouldn't even engage you, its never a satisfying exchange because it's never an honest conversation.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Yeah, it is a great take. I never complained because they didn't win a cup. Let's not move the goal posts here. I've complained because when things go wrong they can't handle adversity and resort to childish behavior. We've seen it time and time again. They aren't leading by their play or their demeanor. Their behavior is totally childish. There is nothing professional about their behavior. It's not what you expect from leaders.

I also never said everyone should be traded. I can accept losing when you give your all and try your best. I've said that numerous times in the past. I can't defend or be proud of a team that acts like spoiled brats that didn't get their way when they have nobody but themselves to blame for their failures. They need to act like professionals, suck it up and learn something from the experience. But we've seen year after year that they don't. That's a huge lack of leadership and not the kind of examples you want young players to learn.

I think there is a fundamental disconnect between me and most people on here about the emotional displays. Obviously most care about it more than me, and that's fine, but our opinions differ there.

And I'm sure I lumped you into the entirety of the group with the bombastic comments. The "never win anything" is just irritating and is something that 30 teams will go through every year, that 27 have gone over for the last decade. There isn't anything else to say about that really.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I think there is a fundamental disconnect between me and most people on here about the emotional displays. Obviously most care about it more than me, and that's fine, but our opinions differ there.

And I'm sure I lumped you into the entirety of the group with the bombastic comments. The "never win anything" is just irritating and is something that 30 teams will go through every year, that 27 have gone over for the last decade. There isn't anything else to say about that really.

Despite my extreme irritation with the leadership group I would still say the Ducks as a whole have been one of the most successful teams in the league the past 5-10 years, despite the lack of cups.

Reactions: Deuce22

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Despite my extreme irritation with the leadership group I would still say the Ducks as a whole have been one of the most successful teams in the league the past 5-10 years, despite the lack of cups.
They are top three in playoff wins and this roster leads the league in playoff games played.

When I first started following this franchise over 20 years ago I would have killed for this. It's important to have that perspective or else it'll be taken for granted.

After Getz is done it could be some really rough times around here, and if many of you are still around I think you'll look back on this era a little differently.

Reactions: Bee

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Aren't you the guy/girl who wants to bury both getzlaf and Perry down the lineup so they will waive their NMC? Or am I thinking of someone else?

That is me and I 100% stand by it. This franchise needs to start over with a total culture change and it likely isn't going to be possible with those 2 around. All we have to look forward to for the next 3 years is a team that's pretty good, but not good enough when it counts. That might be good enough for you, but it's not for me. I want to see them win a Cup and IMO the quickest path to that is rebuilding.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
That is me and I 100% stand by it. This franchise needs to start over with a total culture change and it likely isn't going to be possible with those 2 around. All we have to look forward to for the next 3 years is a team that's pretty good, but not good enough when it counts. That might be good enough for you, but it's not for me. I want to see them win a Cup and IMO the quickest path to that is rebuilding.
If this franchise bottoms out in terms of performance, then it will bottom out in attendance, and then in money. We will become the coyotes.

I understand your sentiment, but I also believe it's a huge overreaction and takes getzlaf and Perry for granted, not only for what they have been, but for the players they still are today. Getzlaf especially.

Three bad playoff games shouldn't elicit a response that extreme.

Reactions: Bee

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
If this franchise bottoms out in terms of performance, then it will bottom out in attendance, and then in money. We will become the coyotes.

I understand your sentiment, but I also believe it's a huge overreaction and takes getzlaf and Perry for granted, not only for what they have been, but for the players they still are today. Getzlaf especially.

Three bad playoff games shouldn't elicit a response that extreme.

It's not just 3 playoff games. There is a direct correlation between when Getzlaf disappears each Spring and when the Ducks season comes to an end. This year it just so happens it came a little early than usual. Last year it was after G5 against Edmonton.

And rebuilding doesn't mean we'll be the Coyotes. The Coyotes have had terrible management and ownership for pretty much their entire existence. With a new GM/coach with modern philosophies on how the game should be played we could be back in contention in 2 or 3 years.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
It's not just 3 playoff games. There is a direct correlation between when Getzlaf disappears each Spring and when the Ducks season comes to and end. This year it just so happens it came a little early than usual. Last year it was after G5 against Edmonton.
Seems pretty harsh. 120 points in 124 playoff games. The playoff disappearing act is a tired narrative for an underappreciated player.

He has been bad the last three games and I hope he plays better, but trying to get rid of him would be a really bad move for the franchise.

Reactions: Paul4587

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
It's not just 3 playoff games. There is a direct correlation between when Getzlaf disappears each Spring and when the Ducks season comes to an end. This year it just so happens it came a little early than usual. Last year it was after G5 against Edmonton.

And rebuilding doesn't mean we'll be the Coyotes. The Coyotes have had terrible management and ownership for pretty much their entire existence. With a new GM/coach with modern philosophies on how the game should be played we could be back in contention in 2 or 3 years.

Getz is almost PPG in the playoffs - you can’t put the failures of 20 guys plus a coaching staff on Getz. That’s stupid.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Seems pretty harsh. 120 points in 124 playoff games. The playoff disappearing act is a tired narrative for an underappreciated player.

He has been bad the last three games and I hope he plays better, but trying to get rid of him would be a really bad move for the franchise.

You can bring up his total stats all you want, but how about you take a look specifically at his stats after G5 against EDM last year. For a larger view look at all of the G6/7's dating back to 2011. I'll see if I can dig up my post from last year with the totals because it's not pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad