Prospect Info: Ducks Prospect Discussion 2017/18 - part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Kiefer Sherwood sounds very interesting. We will see. On the Jackets board they seemed to be quite high on him.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Sounds nice and after reading your article I want Véronneau and Kuffner as well :D

The only caution i give is that these guys are basically the equivalent of a 4th round NHL pick in terms of success rate. There are skills there, but translating them to the pro game does not always happen.... and even when it does, its usually more of a third or fourth line role.

Ducks have some reference points thought. There are very few Andy McDonald types who become legit top six forwards. J.T. Brown was recently one of the biggest, most sought-after college free agents, and he's considered a success.

Outside the Ducks, a Tyler Bozak is considered one of the best college Free Agents of the last decade.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I'd like to think that on top of Terry's post Olympic feelings of being able to play with bigger guys, that he will see Donato's transition to the Bs and perhaps get excited enough to want to give it a try himself. :crossfing

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
I'd like to think that on top of Terry's post Olympic feelings of being able to play with bigger guys, that he will see Donato's transition to the Bs and perhaps get excited enough to want to give it a try himself. :crossfing
He got nearly 20 mins of ice time. Not sure what planet we’d have to be on to see Terry get that kind of ice time - especially with Randy

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Maybe not your point, but I think part of the big picture they could see themselves in. I should’ve been more clear- wasn’t going after your comment in that way
So you think if he fears he won't get 20 minutes here, he'll just pass on signing? If he chooses not to sign, IMO, it won't be because he thinks the coach won't use him properly. That would be a kid with one hell of an attitude, which I don't see.

Hopefully he will be excited to sign, get into some games and get a feel for how the NHL is played. Put the cherry on top of his season.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
So you think if he fears he won't get 20 minutes here, he'll just pass on signing? If he chooses not to sign, IMO, it won't be because he thinks the coach won't use him properly. That would be a kid with one hell of an attitude, which I don't see.

Hopefully he will be excited to sign, get into some games and get a feel for how the NHL is played. Put the cherry on top of his season.

If he looks at Donato, he’ll see someone with a good first game that was given a fair shake on Boston’s second line. If that’s the bar, time on ice is a factor. All I’m saying

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
it's all about the money with these kids. I'm not saying that's a bad thing either.

All this discussion about what team Terry wants to be on, and who his coach will be, etc is overblown IMO. He can either make money instantly and burn a year off his ELC by signing or he can go spin his wheels in college for another year. The Ducks can make this kid richer in the short and long term than any other team. That's why I'm 90% sure he signs.

Even if he did hypothetically get stashed in the AHL for a year, he still gets an AHL salary and will likely get a cup of coffee at the NHL so he gets NHL money for those games. He still burns a year off his ELC. That's worst case scenario for him, and I'd still rather do that than go back to College for a year that I don't need.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
it's all about the money with these kids. I'm not saying that's a bad thing either.

All this discussion about what team Terry wants to be on, and who his coach will be, etc is overblown IMO. He can either make money instantly and burn a year off his ELC by signing or he can go spin his wheels in college for another year. The Ducks can make this kid richer in the short and long term than any other team. That's why I'm 90% sure he signs.

Even if he did hypothetically get stashed in the AHL for a year, he still gets an AHL salary and will likely get a cup of coffee at the NHL so he gets NHL money for those games. He still burns a year off his ELC. That's worst case scenario for him, and I'd still rather do that than go back to College for a year that I don't need.

That's exactly my point. The idea of advancing his career, as well as making a few bucks, is the motivating factor. Seeing his Olympic teammate do it should just be a little additional encouragment for him to want to go for it himself.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
The only caution i give is that these guys are basically the equivalent of a 4th round NHL pick in terms of success rate. There are skills there, but translating them to the pro game does not always happen.... and even when it does, its usually more of a third or fourth line role.

Ducks have some reference points thought. There are very few Andy McDonald types who become legit top six forwards. J.T. Brown was recently one of the biggest, most sought-after college free agents, and he's considered a success.

Outside the Ducks, a Tyler Bozak is considered one of the best college Free Agents of the last decade.

I know but it is a free shot you have and we need players for two teams. Even if they just end up as Gulls players it would be nice to try them.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Pretty good hockey name.
A lot of goalies are his fans I guess.

PS
What if we signed Kelly to help our pitch for Terry signing this year? (If they had a good relationship in tournament)
mind_blown.gif

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
A lot of goalies are his fans I guess.

PS
What if we signed Kelly to help our pitch for Terry signing this year? (If they had a good relationship in tournament)
mind_blown.gif

Which prized prospect FA is Chimera friends with? :naughty:

Oct 18, 2011

I think Mitch Hults has a future with us but I REALLY want Kossila to get a fair opportunity first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad