Duchene

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
A quick note about RW depth - Forsberg shoots right, and didn't he swap to LW in the NHL originally to try him on a line with Neal? To tie that into the Duchene conversation, Duchene also plays a lot of left wing. So you could see something like this...

Duchene - Johansen - Forsberg
Fiala - Bonino - Arvidsson

or if you want to keep the top line together, you try Fiala or Duchene on right wing. Whatever.

Not that I think we're that likely to trade for him. But if Nashville gets him he'll improve the overall depth immensely.

Not playing Duchene at center neuters one of his best qualities. He's an excellent face-off man. Much better than Bonino.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
A quick note about RW depth - Forsberg shoots right, and didn't he swap to LW in the NHL originally to try him on a line with Neal? To tie that into the Duchene conversation, Duchene also plays a lot of left wing. So you could see something like this...

Duchene - Johansen - Forsberg
Fiala - Bonino - Arvidsson

or if you want to keep the top line together, you try Fiala or Duchene on right wing. Whatever.

Not that I think we're that likely to trade for him. But if Nashville gets him he'll improve the overall depth immensely.

I keep thinking guiding the lily

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Not playing Duchene at center neuters one of his best qualities. He's an excellent face-off man. Much better than Bonino.

I would love to see this team next season ice Joey-Duchene-Bonino down the middle. That is a potential Cup-winning center depth right there.

Joey-Bonino-'pick a name out of a hat' does not feel like any kind of upgrade over last season - and once again we go into the mode of hoping Bonino can magically play above the level he actually plays at.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I would love to see this team next season ice Joey-Duchene-Bonino down the middle. That is a potential Cup-winning center depth right there.

Joey-Bonino-'pick a name out of a hat' does not feel like any kind of upgrade over last season - and once again we go into the mode of hoping Bonino can magically play above the level he actually plays at.

Man right on... I like bonino, i like the signing but he would make excellent 3c not a 2c.

Forsberg ryjo arvi
Fiala duchene smith/aberg
Hartnell bones aberg/smith
Watson sissons jarnkrok

Looks really good

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Man right on... I like bonino, i like the signing but he would make excellent 3c not a 2c.

Forsberg ryjo arvi
Fiala duchene smith/aberg
Hartnell bones aberg/smith
Watson sissons jarnkrok

Looks really good
We need to get Duchene just so we don't have to keep hearing this narrative anymore. For years, Legwand was "a 2C who would be a great 3C" and then we kept hearing it for a long time about Fisher as well. Now I guess it's Bonino.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Look, I'd like to have Duchene as much as anybody, but if the cost is one of the top 4 D men, you cannot make that deal now. At the very least you see how the season goes early on, and if things are sputtering then maybe that's the shake up trade you need. But you do not break up that top 4 unless you are forced to.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
We need to get Duchene just so we don't have to keep hearing this narrative anymore. For years, Legwand was "a 2C who would be a great 3C" and then we kept hearing it for a long time about Fisher as well. Now I guess it's Bonino.

I believe legwand would of been a great 2c-1b. I dont think it was legwands fault he never became that. More defensive mind trotz fault

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Look, I'd like to have Duchene as much as anybody, but if the cost is one of the top 4 D men, you cannot make that deal now. At the very least you see how the season goes early on, and if things are sputtering then maybe that's the shake up trade you need. But you do not break up that top 4 unless you are forced to.

I dont think it will take a top 4 now. Maybe a little over payment but fans wouldnt want that either. Duchene is a special talent and you have to pay some to get that. Fabbro kamenev/ aberg 2018 1st 2019 1st

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I don't think Duchene is a special talent. He'd be nice to have but he's not a guy you overpay in assets for just because you want him or there's a perceived hole on the team.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Part of the allure of Duchene is because he's openly made it known he wants to come here while being on another team and in the history of our franchise, that has never happened. True story.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN

Right this moment I agree with you BUT, what if one of the kids comes to camp is ready to step in? Could you move one of the top 4? On the flip side, if a kid was ready to step in, you could say his trade value increased which makes him more attractive to Colorado.

None of our top 4 meet their needs so it's pointless to discuss. They want a top 4 under the age of 24 that is left handed from everything I remember. We don't have any of those. If Sakic can make a deal with us without asking for a defenseman, we may be able to make a deal using prospects and picks.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I don't think Duchene is a special talent. He'd be nice to have but he's not a guy you overpay in assets for just because you want him or there's a perceived hole on the team.

So do we have any forwards that is a special talent on our team in your opinion?

I say this is the time to overpay. We just made our 1st stanley cup final and in my opinion we need to be shooting for it all. If it cost some assets and future players then so be it. You play the game to win the cup. Ive never heard anybody say im just glad we made the playoffs. Our top 4 defenseman need help they aint getting any younger. Were in prime position to go all in. Say what ypu may but i think we have tons of potential in Milwaukee and losing a few top prospects will suck but well be fine. duchene will help our team out tons. I get it stand pat but this team isnt better than the team we lost last year. We lost goal scorers in neal fisher and wilson true but most importantly we lost 2 leaders we lost 2 very physical players.

I understand you have faith in bonino and i might too if we still had neal but we dont. We dont have a kessel that will boast bones up to 40 points. Hdk was a good line for a minute. Bonino has smith and fiala. Hopefully the fbs line can be good.

Duchene would instantly make the line better. Hes a proven scorer and playmaker and leader. Bonino was never called on to be a leader. What if bonino slows down the development of fiala? Then well have 2 problems.

Im just saying i think this is the time to make a push and make a huge splash and duchene would be that splash. Alot of people looks at duchene last years stats and says hes not worth it but i say everyone on Colorado had a down year because of bad coaching and duchene has proved that hes a skilled player so i dont let 1 down year change my mind of that

OriginalName

Aug 22, 2016
Imabari, Japan
Ive never heard anybody say im just glad we made the playoffs.

I generally agree with the points you made, but you don't even have to go a full decade back in our history to see a time when "I'm just glad we made the playoffs" was a VERY common sentiment in our fanbase. I mean, you gotta bear in mind that we were a team that made a playoff pledge and missed it not too terribly long ago in the grand scheme'a things.

I think it's important to note that two of our own coach's former teams, both of which went roughly as far or further than we did, are now in a position where their fans would be very likely to say those very words after a one-and-done playoff berth.

So 100% agreed, as an organization let's not wishy-wash our way out of another serious Cup run, but as a fanbase, let's keep it all in perspective and not spoil it for ourselves if we can help it.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I generally agree with the points you made, but you don't even have to go a full decade back in our history to see a time when "I'm just glad we made the playoffs" was a VERY common sentiment in our fanbase. I mean, you gotta bear in mind that we were a team that made a playoff pledge and missed it not too terribly long ago in the grand scheme'a things.

I think it's important to note that two of our own coach's former teams, both of which went roughly as far or further than we did, are now in a position where their fans would be very likely to say those very words after a one-and-done playoff berth.

So 100% agreed, as an organization let's not wishy-wash our way out of another serious Cup run, but as a fanbase, let's keep it all in perspective and not spoil it for ourselves if we can help it.

I wasnt talking about our fanbase i was talking about players playing. I just think right now is the time to go for it all. I think our team is young enough to take a loss of a few prospects and draft picks even a roster player.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

I really don't see anything wrong with fans holding that perspective. What you view as the priority and goal for the team is going to have far more of an effect on your own enjoyment of the team and its season than it will on the success or operations of the team.

I also see the goal of making the playoffs being one that is far more in the control of an organization when it comes to roster building and transactions than "making a Cup run." The playoffs are often a crapshoot and can be a very fickle beast. Who would have predicted Chicago, with all that talent in place, getting bounced in the first round last year? In retrospect, we were probably the worst matchup for them when considering our speed, defense and ability to attack in transition...not to mention the X factor of a hot goalie. If they draw St. Louis, Minnesota or even Anaheim in the first round instead, do they wind up in another Cup final? If we draw a bruising Anaheim or St. Louis team in the first round, and still manage to win the series, do we have enough in the tank to get through the second and third round?

That said, the more talent you can put in place, the better chance you'll have to make the post-season AND do well in it. But it's far from a sure thing. And overpaying in assets that can keep you competitive long-term for a talent injection coming off the worst season of his career carries no guarantee of a repeat post-season performance.

I love your last line though. Let's definitely keep it in perspective. Hope for the best, reasonable expectations, and another set of thrills when this team passes them again.

OriginalName

Aug 22, 2016
Imabari, Japan
I wasnt talking about our fanbase i was talking about players playing. I just think right now is the time to go for it all. I think our team is young enough to take a loss of a few prospects and draft picks even a roster player.

Oooh, got'cha. My bad, I didn't connect the dots to read the sentence in its full context. Rock on, then! :yo:

And to Iron Duke,

Oh, no, I definitely don't think there's anything wrong with fans having that perspective whatsoever -- I'm still tickled to death every time we make it to the playoffs period, just because I still remember how LONG it took to get there. I just misread Geaux's sentence as meaning literally no one is content with just a playoff berth, as opposed to specifically the hockey players as he intended, which of course made me go "Uhhh... I definitely remember saying exactly the sentence you said no one says multiple times," haha.

And you're totally right, I phrased the possible results of some trade or another as though there's such a thing as a sure bet in hockey -- it's a game played on ice, and the odds are always slippery. I am putting myself in the camp that says taking a chance and adding a big piece feels like it would be the right move to raise the odds, but that's just a feeling and hockey odds are still just hockey odds.

Last edited:

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I really don't see anything wrong with fans holding that perspective. What you view as the priority and goal for the team is going to have far more of an effect on your own enjoyment of the team and its season than it will on the success or operations of the team.

I also see the goal of making the playoffs being one that is far more in the control of an organization when it comes to roster building and transactions than "making a Cup run." The playoffs are often a crapshoot and can be a very fickle beast. Who would have predicted Chicago, with all that talent in place, getting bounced in the first round last year? In retrospect, we were probably the worst matchup for them when considering our speed, defense and ability to attack in transition...not to mention the X factor of a hot goalie. If they draw St. Louis, Minnesota or even Anaheim in the first round instead, do they wind up in another Cup final? If we draw a bruising Anaheim or St. Louis team in the first round, and still manage to win the series, do we have enough in the tank to get through the second and third round?

That said, the more talent you can put in place, the better chance you'll have to make the post-season AND do well in it. But it's far from a sure thing. And overpaying in assets that can keep you competitive long-term for a talent injection coming off the worst season of his career carries no guarantee of a repeat post-season performance.

I love your last line though. Let's definitely keep it in perspective. Hope for the best, reasonable expectations, and another set of thrills when this team passes them again.

Well no nothing is guaranteed in sports. But getting a better player increases the odds. We got peter forsberg and i was so hyped and we lost in the 1st round so i get it. But we cant make any improvement to our team and expect to be better. Yea the jofa line will be good and our defenseman will be better as well but i think you help them with going and getting a scorer and top 6 forwards. And if you can give up futures and picks you do it no matter how good the prospects are. Its just my opinion. Its what i think we should do. Im not even saying just or only duchene. Id be on the phone with Toronto too for jvr and or bozak. Or Edmonton for RNH. Hell the islanders for jt lol

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad