Duchene

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
He has to come down on his demands. I still think we should give up girard/fabbro jarnkrok smith cap dump because i really dont see him impoving that much and 4.5 millon is way to much 2018 1st

I still wouldn't give up that prospect wise. I'd rather wait for UFA in 2 seasons at this point.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I still wouldn't give up that prospect wise. I'd rather wait for UFA in 2 seasons at this point.

Well, keep in mind that our window is open now. Who knows how long. I'm not saying we should grossly overpay (I wouldn't want to give up any of our top-4 since they were the main reason we made the finals), but the time is now. Adding Duchene, especially after losing Fish and Neal may be what it takes to get back to the finals again.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Well, keep in mind that our window is open now. Who knows how long. I'm not saying we should grossly overpay (I wouldn't want to give up any of our top-4 since they were the main reason we made the finals), but the time is now. Adding Duchene, especially after losing Fish and Neal may be what it takes to get back to the finals again.
Yep, we had the top 4 on paper pretty much for 2 seasons before this one and we didn't have any real success. Now it's our window to get the SC but I don't think it will come with Bonino as our 2nd C.
Duchene should be available for other pieces than our top-4.
It's just a question of Poile wanting to move futures for Duchene.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro

I dont understand this thinking. Lets wait in 2 year when our defensemen our 2 years older and ellis will need a new contract as well. Our window is now, our chance for a stanley freaking cup is better than its even been. Lets not sit around and let it dwindle away because we dont want to give up on some of our futures. Because in tbe future id rather want talk about the cup or 2 that we won than our futures that we didnt want to give up still trying to give us that first cup. Id give up fabbro smith jarnkrok 2018 1st 2019 1st for Tavares right now lol

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I dont understand this thinking. Lets wait in 2 year when our defensemen our 2 years older and ellis will need a new contract as well. Our window is now, our chance for a stanley freaking cup is better than its even been. Lets not sit around and let it dwindle away because we dont want to give up on some of our futures. Because in tbe future id rather want talk about the cup or 2 that we won than our futures that we didnt want to give up still trying to give us that first cup. Id give up fabbro smith jarnkrok 2018 1st 2019 1st for Tavares right now lol

In 2 years we will likely need an Ellis replacement anyways as he will likely command a huge raise that we can't afford. Keeping Fabbro fills that role at this time. Trading him means we have no one to come in and fill the gap. It's essentially putting all our eggs in one basket.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
In 2 years we will likely need an Ellis replacement anyways as he will likely command a huge raise that we can't afford. Keeping Fabbro fills that role at this time. Trading him means we have no one to come in and fill the gap. It's essentially putting all our eggs in one basket.

We have Allard, Dougherty, and Carrier coming up on the right side still. I'm pretty high on Carrier tbh. I'd really like to see one of them up in Nashville this season getting used to NHL speed that way if it looks like for certain we can't financially keep Ellis we can trade him in the offseason next year. Beyond that with Josi on the other side of the pairing it should make the transition a little bit smoother.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Don't really see Ellis' next contract as an issue. Cap will go up, Rinne will be off the books and only Fiala will be looking at a significant raise in the near future. Ellis probably only looking at a $2-$3M increase, which should be absorbable, even if other pieces are added.

Always interesting to see the differences in player valuations around here. Don't see how a PPG Tavares goes for 2 30-point players (with a combined cap hit of over $6M, a top-4 D prospect the Islanders don't need and a likely late 1st. Lot of proposals lately where people seem to just throw a whole lot of pieces out there.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Don't really see Ellis' next contract as an issue. Cap will go up, Rinne will be off the books and only Fiala will be looking at a significant raise in the near future. Ellis probably only looking at a $2-$3M increase, which should be absorbable, even if other pieces are added.

Always interesting to see the differences in player valuations around here. Don't see how a PPG Tavares goes for 2 30-point players (with a combined cap hit of over $6M, a top-4 D prospect the Islanders don't need and a likely late 1st. Lot of proposals lately where people seem to just throw a whole lot of pieces out there.

I think if the isles see Tavares isnt gonna sign they might dump him for pieces . No one is gonna give up a ton because of his upcoming ufa. Another thing if ellis keeps his pace hes gonna want at least 6 and dont forget josi's contract is up the after ellis

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

That would be the equivalent of getting Josi on his current contract with his current play. If Poile pulls that off, this team should be investigated for price fixing or some other sort of financial misconduct because that's just ****ing insane. Ellis is worth MUCH more than that.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
That would be the equivalent of getting Josi on his current contract with his current play. If Poile pulls that off, this team should be investigated for price fixing or some other sort of financial misconduct because that's just ****ing insane. Ellis is worth MUCH more than that.

his cap hit is at 2.5 million currently. 2 million increase may be a little low but i would say 5.5 million AAV is about his worth on the open market. i don't see him getting much more regardless how the next few seasons go.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
his cap hit is at 2.5 million currently. 2 million increase may be a little low but i would say 5.5 million AAV is about his worth on the open market. i don't see him getting much more regardless how the next few seasons go.

With the cap going up the way it is? I can see him getting offers for 6-6.5. At that point what is 5-5.5 now will be 6 then.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
With the cap going up the way it is? I can see him getting offers for 6-6.5. At that point what is 5-5.5 now will be 6 then.

i personally think he had his best statistical season this past year. i could be wrong. but yes you are correct, there are always plentiful of GMs willing to throw money around. i don't see him getting over 6 million regardless.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
It wouldn't surprise me if he was offered more than $5.5, but that would be a poor deal and I'm a resident member of the Human Rocketship fan club. Not sure if the fancy stats hold up for him as more than a great second pairing guy.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I honestly believe $7m/yr is not entirely out of the question for him. $5.5m is admittedly not quite subject to the level of hyperbole I was using there (that's more in "hell of a good deal" territory instead of "the NHL needs to launch an investigation" territory ;) ), but I stand by it w/r/t $4.5m/yr for him.

* * *​
It wouldn't surprise me if he was offered more than $5.5, but that would be a poor deal and I'm a resident member of the Human Rocketship fan club. Not sure if the fancy stats hold up for him as more than a great second pairing guy.

As the president and founder of said fanclub, I think he's easily top-pairing capable - that's why I kept suggesting Wennberg-for-Ellis proposals before the Joey-Jones trade happened.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

:biglaugh:
rotflmao.gif

:facepalm:
:shakehead

Imagine if a Jackets blogger had suggested earlier this summer that we cease all pursuit of Duchene in favor of getting Joey back via offer sheet. That's about the level of overkill this would be, as well as a good representation of the player's (non-)availability. In addition, the Jackets have twice the available cap space of the Preds; any offer sheet signed that the Preds can afford would be immediately matched.

Somebody's buying a little too hard into the "the Jackets can't keep their players" fantasy. I rather imagine this is the same class of writer who thought "we can just offersheet Jones back."

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
If we were going to offer sheet some one the Wings Andreas Athanasiou is who I'd go after and dump Smiths salary

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I agree with an upgrade down the middle. We were pretty soft there last year as well but we were able to hide it due to our great wing depth. Now we've lost a bunch of wing depth or at least gotten worse there and although we are kinda better at center this year I see it becoming a bigger problem than last year. An upgrade is needed but we can't keep sacrificing our wing depth and our top-4 D is off the table. That leaves us with Jarny, prospects and picks as our trading chips which might not get it done. Choices are 1) hope Kamenev becomes a factor or add wing depth which has carried us before.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

Hon no income tax.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
And how much does that really help us? I can’t really think of more than a couple of instances where it MAY have swayed someone. Winning is the real draw.

Which just further justifies why he'd likely stay with us. How many teams are there in the tier above us with a spare $6M to throw at Ryan Ellis?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
And how much does that really help us? I can’t really think of more than a couple of instances where it MAY have swayed someone. Winning is the real draw.

Oh I agree. Winning at 4 million is WAY more fun than losing at 6. But for some, salary is the ultimate sign of respect and value. The Ellis discussion is moot because that's 2 yrs away. I also see a bunch of Ads who could be Preds in 2 yrs reducing the salary load.

As for the topic, Duchene...I'm in the camp of wait and see. A lot of Ads prospects this year will make the jump to viable NHLers and become even more worthy trade candidates making a trade deadline deal for Dutch cheaper.

I'm more concerned about RW. My second concern is overall LD depth. I have honest faith in Bonino as a #2 and getting Dutch would be overkill.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I'm more concerned about RW. My second concern is overall LD depth. I have honest faith in Bonino as a #2 and getting Dutch would be overkill.

A quick note about RW depth - Forsberg shoots right, and didn't he swap to LW in the NHL originally to try him on a line with Neal? To tie that into the Duchene conversation, Duchene also plays a lot of left wing. So you could see something like this...

Duchene - Johansen - Forsberg
Fiala - Bonino - Arvidsson

or if you want to keep the top line together, you try Fiala or Duchene on right wing. Whatever.

Not that I think we're that likely to trade for him. But if Nashville gets him he'll improve the overall depth immensely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad