Duchene

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
(This is a figment of my imagination. I don't want to see anyone quoting this later like it was some actual conversation, you wacky kids, you.)

*ring ring*

DP: Hello, David Poile speaking.

JS: Hi David, this is Joe Sakic.

DP: What can I do for you today, Joe?

JS: Well, I'm calling about Matt Duchene. I don't want to move him, but we need defensive help and it looks like he's going to end up being the odd man out.

DP: I'm certainly interested in adding a quality center like Matt Duchene. I could probably put together a package around a blue-chip defense prospect and some draft picks if that would interest you.

JS: No, I was thinking more of one of your top-four defenders.

DP: Ouch, Joe, that's the strength of our team right there. I know I moved Shea Weber, but that was in return for a younger, Norris-winning defender of similar caliber. It would need to be a very compelling package to get me to move one of my existing top four.

JS: Actually, I was thinking you'd be the one putting together the package. Maybe a top four guy, plus a blue-chip defense prospect, a couple of first-round draft picks ... that sort of thing.

DP: I'm sorry; I think one of us has a bad connection. You want an established top four defender, plus

JS, interrupting: Sorry, he has to be a left-handed defender, too. Did I mention that? Yeah, we're good on the right side. We need a lefty.

DP, after a brief pause: So you're wanting a package including either Roman Josi or Mattias Ekholm.

JS: Right. Unless ... can they do handedness reassignment surgery yet? If you can swap PK's hands around surgically, we'd take him as part of the deal, too.

DP: ...what?

JS: I mean I was just asking. Forget it. So who would you add to Josi to get Duchene? That Forsberg kid looks pretty good. I like Forsbergs.

JS: Right, so, do we have a deal? I'll go ahead and start the paperwork.

DP: ... WHAT?

JS: I mean you weren't saying anything. I figured you were agreeing. No? What's wrong with it?

DP: Everything! I might trade you Ekholm straight up for Duchene, maybe even as part of a package. But that package wouldn't include any other roster players, definitely, and probably not any blue-chip prospects. Maybe a first-round pick. MAYBE.

JS: Well if you're going to be unreasonable I don't see what we have to discuss.

*click*

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
(This is a figment of my imagination. I don't want to see anyone quoting this later like it was some actual conversation, you wacky kids, you.)

*ring ring*

DP: Hello, David Poile speaking.

JS: Hi David, this is Joe Sakic.

DP: What can I do for you today, Joe?

JS: Well, I'm calling about Matt Duchene. I don't want to move him, but we need defensive help and it looks like he's going to end up being the odd man out.

DP: I'm certainly interested in adding a quality center like Matt Duchene. I could probably put together a package around a blue-chip defense prospect and some draft picks if that would interest you.

JS: No, I was thinking more of one of your top-four defenders.

DP: Ouch, Joe, that's the strength of our team right there. I know I moved Shea Weber, but that was in return for a younger, Norris-winning defender of similar caliber. It would need to be a very compelling package to get me to move one of my existing top four.

JS: Actually, I was thinking you'd be the one putting together the package. Maybe a top four guy, plus a blue-chip defense prospect, a couple of first-round draft picks ... that sort of thing.

DP: I'm sorry; I think one of us has a bad connection. You want an established top four defender, plus

JS, interrupting: Sorry, he has to be a left-handed defender, too. Did I mention that? Yeah, we're good on the right side. We need a lefty.

DP, after a brief pause: So you're wanting a package including either Roman Josi or Mattias Ekholm.

JS: Right. Unless ... can they do handedness reassignment surgery yet? If you can swap PK's hands around surgically, we'd take him as part of the deal, too.

JS: I mean I was just asking. Forget it. So who would you add to Josi to get Duchene? That Forsberg kid looks pretty good. I like Forsbergs.

JS: Right, so, do we have a deal? I'll go ahead and start the paperwork.

DP: ... WHAT?

JS: I mean you weren't saying anything. I figured you were agreeing. No? What's wrong with it?

DP: Everything! I might trade you Ekholm straight up for Duchene, maybe even as part of a package. But that package wouldn't include any other roster players, definitely, and probably not any blue-chip prospects. Maybe a first-round pick. MAYBE.

JS: Well if you're going to be unreasonable I don't see what we have to discuss.

*click*

I think you are giving Sakic to much credit tbh.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
I really do feel for Avs fans honestly. They have an unchecked GM that is destroying anything that resembles chemistry on this team and their ownership simply doesn't care. A good friend of mine is an Avs fan and he is livid at Sakic for what he is doing. That's saying a lot as Sakic was his favorite player of all time...

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
lo no further than Wayne Gretzky for proof that being a great player on the ice doesn't necessarily mean that translates to greatness in the front office or coaching.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
lo no further than Wayne Gretzky for proof that being a great player on the ice doesn't necessarily mean that translates to greatness in the front office or coaching.

It's the same concept as what a high school teacher told us one time which was "If you struggle to make B's in high school, you will excel in college and if you breeze through high school with A's, you will struggle in college." I found that to be true. His theory was if you breeze through without much challenge you don't learn the fundamentals of studying. I would say the same compares to being a player/coach.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Duchene on an interview at the camp: "Only here out of respect for fans, teammates"

Something is really brewing in Colorado.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Duchene on an interview at the camp: "Only here out of respect for fans, teammates"

Something is really brewing in Colorado.

preds management told dreger that we haven't spoke with colorado in a very long time. so something may be brewing but it's not with us.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
preds management told dreger that we haven't spoke with colorado in a very long time. so something may be brewing but it's not with us.

I have accepted that if he is traded it won't be here. That said, it continues to astound me how poorly Sakic is handling it. Duchene's value does nothing but drop the closer he gets to UFA. And if his numbers continue to suffer due to the combination of playing on a bad team coupled with the constant distraction of trade talk, Sakic will end up getting peanuts compared to what he could have had already.

Then the Preds can sign him anyway in a couple of seasons ;)

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Lol if Subban is traded, our best RHD to start the season would be Yannick Weber? We'd go from having the best RHD in early 2016 (Weber, Ellis, Jones) to the league worst in late 2017...

Losing Subban and Ellis drops us from having the best top 4 and arguable best blueline (Minnesota, St. Louis, and Winnipeg have more depth) in the Central to the worst, Colorado would be above us and Chicago....

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
the Subban talk is ridiculous. Poile doesn't trade the face of our franchise for a guy who helps take us to the SC Finals then trade that guy away for a player who at best is a 2C on this team

I feel certain Poile, unless he was too stunned for words, laughed in Sakics face if Sakic asked for Subban, and probably looked at Sakic with the same kind of bemused pity that you look on an addled old man if Sakic asked for Subban plus

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
They stripped the "A" from him?

If they did, it's reasonable. Wouldn't read too much into it. I mean, you can't really have anyone in your named leadership group after saying they only show up for fans and teammates.

It must be frustrating and probably a little uncomfortable in Avs locker room right now.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If they did, it's reasonable. Wouldn't read too much into it. I mean, you can't really have anyone in your named leadership group after saying they only show up for fans and teammates.

It must be frustrating and probably a little uncomfortable in Avs locker room right now.

Thing is if I'm a player I would completely understand the way Duchene is feeling and would be supporting him. I mean the way I would look at it is who is going to be next to be done that way.

" Being professional " is only going to last so long.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

After all this headache that Sakic has put him through (not knowing if you will be moving today), him showing up is showing leadership.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
After all this headache that Sakic has put him through (not knowing if you will be moving today), him showing up is showing leadership.

Yes, he is, I agree. It just doesn't surprise me that he isn't on the team's named leadership group under these circumstances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad