Confirmed with Link: Duchene to OTT in three-team trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I keep hearing people say he'll go on a tear. Originally it was after 5-10 games, then 15 games, and now it's 20?

I feel it just won't happen. For all the excuses people make about him getting in his own head and overthinking, I think he just needs to take his career a little more seriously and understand that his style of play is not productive.

What about his style of play isn’t productive?

Reactions: LeProspector

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What about his style of play isn’t productive?

Well, during his time with the Sens, and last year with the Avs, he just wasn't producing. So that's what, 95 games of not being productive. The rest of his career, including his fist 14 games this year with the Avs, he's typically produced between a 55-70 pts pace. There was one other time he didn't produce, back in 11-12. I believe he had some sort of nagging injury that year though.

He does a lot of little things right. Gets to the dirty area's, is great at creating space on the cycle. His underlying numbers are good. He gets lots of scoring chances. Hard to point to anything in particular to explain his lack of production.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Well, during his time with the Sens, and last year with the Avs, he just wasn't producing. So that's what, 95 games of not being productive. The rest of his career, including his fist 14 games this year with the Avs, he's typically produced between a 55-70 pts pace. There was one other time he didn't produce, back in 11-12. I believe he had some sort of nagging injury that year though.

He does a lot of little things right. Gets to the dirty area's, is great at creating space on the cycle. His underlying numbers are good. He gets lots of scoring chances. Hard to point to anything in particular to explain his lack of production.

Can’t really comment on his play in Colorado but his time here in Ottawa he has done the things you would expect to make him a productive player. At the start here in Ottawa maybe he was a little guilty of always putting his head down and trying to drive the net but lately he has started pulling up and looking for the trailer. Personally I agree with the belief that it’s only a matter of time that the pucks go in. I get the disappointment in the lack of production but writing him off all together is the same line of thinking that lead to so many being surprised by Bobby Ryan’s production in the playoffs.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Agreed.

But it is hard for me to be very critical of him when he's mostly doing everything we brought him to do.

The trade has not worked out but I can't say I am disappointed in Duchene.

I am disappointed in Duchene’s performance to date. I expected better. I was interested in acquiring Duchene but not at the price paid (Turris, Bowers and 2018 1st round pick). To be in “win now” mode, the team needed to add NHL level players for prospects and futures, not let Turris go. I do not see Duchene as an upgrade on Turris.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Thing I don't get when people mention that Duchene hasn't played well but it's normal because the entire team is playing poorly is that Duchene was acquired to be a difference maker and not only a guy that goes with the flow of his teammates.

A guy like Stone for example or Karlsson (when not injured) play well in any circumstance and find a way to produce even when the time get rough. Admitedly, these players are extremely hard to find, but judging by the trade that was made the team really though they were acquiring a difference maker or a clear upgrade on Turris which Duchene is simply not.

I don't get how you trade assets like that (2nd, Zibby, Turris, Bowers, 1rst, Dahlen) and not end up with a single piece that can actually be a true difference maker. To me that's absolutely unacceptable and we basically downgraded two of our players and added prospects and pics on top of it just because??? Mind boggling decision making by Dorion here. If you don't have the cash capacity to make a Turris signing happen, then you need to prevent facing this situation and trade/not sign guys like Burrows and Thompson. The options we'd have right now with all of those prospects and picks we gave away would be endless.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
A guy like Stone for example or Karlsson (when not injured) play well in any circumstance and find a way to produce even when the time get rough. Admitedly, these players are extremely hard to find, but judging by the trade that was made the team really though they were acquiring a difference maker or a clear upgrade on Turris which Duchene is simply not.

Is that why Karlsson was held pointless for 10 games during our big slump? Meanwhile Stone was held pointless for 4 games (the entire team was shut out for 3 of those games).

It's hard to evaluate Duchene after such a (still) small sample size, especially considering how epically bad the team was that Erik ****ing Karlsson was held pointless for 10 games for the first time in his career.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. Not saying I disagree with your general point. Duchene doesn't seem like a good finisher from the little I've seen so far. He doesn't have the patience that Turris did in close to make a goal of a good opportunity. So far it looks like he grips his stick too hard, on quite a few occasions I've seen, and just shovels it on net instead of taking that extra half a second to execute. Maybe those are nerves because of how bad the team was and wanting to procude,mMaybe he's snakebitten and will break out, maybe he's still adjusting to the system, maybe we'll see him take off like Ryan and Brassard did at the end of the season... I don't know. At least he's creating chances though. If he wasn't doing that I would be very worried.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I can’t quite explain what’s up with Duchene. I keep hoping some Ottawa fans will have some insights because that trade should be working out better for the Sens than it has.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I can't believe all the assets we gave up to get this guy. This is going to go down as one of the worst trades ever.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
That
I can't believe all the assets we gave up to get this guy. This is going to go down as one of the worst trades ever.
combined with brassard trade yes it's terrible
Don't try combining it with spezza and Ryan trades though, you'll lose will to live.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Duchene and Hoffman are very similar, in that folks tend to be blinded by the razzle dazzle. Both have elite elements in their game, but both are missing something.

Reactions: aragorn

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Duchene and Hoffman are very similar, in that folks tend to be blinded by the razzle dazzle. Both have elite elements in their game, but both are missing something.

Very similar and very different at the same time, imo.

Duchene is missing some finish, and a better attitude/mentality.

Hoffman is missing some drive. From all my viewings, I've come to the conclusion that Hoff seems to play 'not to get injured', a lot. Stays away from certain plays and areas and doesn't make certain plays that he can make. If he was willing to sacrifice more, he would be a lock for 30 goals and 65+ points every season. For now, he remains simply on the cusp of that type of production.

I can’t quite explain what’s up with Duchene. I keep hoping some Ottawa fans will have some insights because that trade should be working out better for the Sens than it has.

From what I've seen, his main problem is his lack of finish. Secondary to that is his attitude. He seems WAY too hard on himself and is affected way too much when he misses a chance or when something doesn't go his way. I find that very surprising for a 3rd overall pick and for someone who already put up PPG in the NHL. He's playing with too much on his shoulders, imo. And it shows in his body language and interviews. Fixing that alone would go a long way.

He's been handed a couple of very good opportunities on a golden platter and either got robbed, hit a post or a crossbar, or gripped his stick too tight and didn't take the extra half second to create a goal of it.

On the other hand, he's set up his linemates a good number of times and they haven't executed much. All in all he has 5 points in 19 games with us, but he could have easily have double that, so 10 points in 19 games. The problem is that still wouldn't be enough. We'll see what happens if the Sens manage to rebound and take off a bit in the remaining 49 games...

Reactions: AvsGuy

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Which is "fine". When your team is properly constructed.

Thing is, it's pretty damned difficult to find a player that isn't missing something. You can count the complete players in this league on one hand.

That is why coaches are paid big bucks...to see the strengths and weaknesses in his players, and pair/trio them up to make the best defensive/offensive lines possible with the talent available. Duchene needs a pure playmaker. Hoff needs a strong outlet passer.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
It's going to be interesting to see what happens when his contract is up. A lot can happen between now and then, but unless he improves there could be a wide gap between what he's actually worth and what he thinks he's worth. Can you imagine the uproar if he walks? It will be tough for PD to spin that.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
It's going to be interesting to see what happens when his contract is up. A lot can happen between now and then, but unless he improves there could be a wide gap between what he's actually worth and what he thinks he's worth. Can you imagine the uproar if he walks? It will be tough for PD to spin that.

Given his major struggles with consistency, I'd have a hard time giving him anything more than 6. He could get back to being the player that he was a few seasons ago, but he could also turn into a player like Ryan - vastly overpaid for what he brings. Hopefully Brown can become the true #1 and Duchene can slot in as a #2.

Last edited:

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
2 out of 3 GMs were very smart and won their end of the trade by filling their needs so their team is better for it now and in the future.

And the big loser of the day is...........

Reactions: Icelevel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad