Confirmed with Link: Duchene to OTT in three-team trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Loved that play by Matt on the game tying goal. The pass was slick but it was the zone entry that made it happen.

That goal was all him.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Loved that play by Matt on the game tying goal. The pass was slick but it was the zone entry that made it happen.

That goal was all him.

I liked how he waited and drew in the defender before making the pass, smart and patient play.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I liked how he waited and drew in the defender before making the pass, smart and patient play.

Had some nice sauce to boot.

It's easy to see why he is/was so highly regarded. He's got the skills to make something happen from nothing. He's going to go on a run this year where h a going to put up like 20 points in 15 games.

Too bad he's so inconsistent.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
Imagine that the Dooosh gets super hot and plays so well that he single handedly moves this team up the standings to the 11th spot in the draft. Dorions dishonour would be complete.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Imagine that the Dooosh gets super hot and plays so well that he single handedly moves this team up the standings to the 11th spot in the draft. Dorions dishonour would be complete.

This is going to happen BTW.

Karlsson, Duchene and Hoffman are too skilled to continue slumping.

It doesn't seem likely that we're gonna make the playoffs. But we won't be bad enough to be in contention for a top pick.

The Ottawa senators special.

Reactions: Icelevel

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This is going to happen BTW.

Karlsson, Duchene and Hoffman are too skilled to continue slumping.

It doesn't seem likely that we're gonna make the playoffs. But we won't be bad enough to be in contention for a top pick.

The Ottawa senators special.

Obviously snapping out of this funk and playing our way into the playoffs is the best case scenario, but failing that, if we do have to miss, I'd love for us to be the first team out of a playoff spot and then win the lottery and screw Colorado out of a decent first round pick. Won`t happen, were more likely to finish with 8 OA then get passed 3 times via lotteries, get bumped to 11th and lose our pick to Colorado, or finish 7th, and get bumped to 10th on the dot, and keep the worst possible pick.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Obviously snapping out of this funk and playing our way into the playoffs is the best case scenario, but failing that, if we do have to miss, I'd love for us to be the first team out of a playoff spot and then win the lottery and screw Colorado out of a decent first round pick. Won`t happen, were more likely to finish with 8 OA then get passed 3 times via lotteries, get bumped to 11th and lose our pick to Colorado, or finish 7th, and get bumped to 10th on the dot, and keep the worst possible pick.

And follow it up by passing on a speedy small skilled guy in favor of a guy who is a safe pick.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
And follow it up by passing on a speedy small skilled guy in favor of a guy who is a safe pick.

Was Chabot a safe pick? Karlsson? Logan Brown? I get people are down on some of our "safe picks" (notably, Lazar and Bowers, though perhaps some would include White in that group) but the team has made some more risky picks as well. I was really hoping for Kostin, so you won't hear me disagree that we've passed up on some imo obvious picks but to suggest that we should expect it doesn't seem to align with the past imo.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Trade Duchene for Simmonds. Duchene may actually play better in Philly. And Simmonds is exactly the type of player Ottawa needs. He has the sandpaper and scoring ability we need

We would have Montreal-level centre depth at that point.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Was Chabot a safe pick? Karlsson? Logan Brown? I get people are down on some of our "safe picks" (notably, Lazar and Bowers, though perhaps some would include White in that group) but the team has made some more risky picks as well. I was really hoping for Kostin, so you won't hear me disagree that we've passed up on some imo obvious picks but to suggest that we should expect it doesn't seem to align with the past imo.

Karlsson was the last "risky" first round pick we made. Look how well that paid off.

Brown carried risks but he was quite clearly a top 10 talent.

Chabot wasn't risky.

I mean it's quite clear that our weakest round is the first. Which Dorion and Randy Lee I'm assuming have the most say over. And we all know what kind of players those two like.

I wanted Tolvanen, Heppo (2.5 ppg in the whl) , Kostin and its ludicrous that an amateur like me can consistently make better picks than our GM.

Some scouts care wayyyyyy too much about how mature a 17 year old kid is. Rank them on hockey abilities for ffs.

Reactions: Cosmix

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
what exactly is a risky pick? If you mean have big potential but also could easily bust then Brown and Chabot fit that

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
One thing to remember....the players (and their wives/girlfriends) might not be totally honest with their neighbors, friends, and other sources...especially with something as intricate as trade talks. Players are told quite often not to give certain information to anyone outside of the dressing room.

Players are not obligated to do anything for a team that no longer employs them.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
what exactly is a risky pick? If you mean have big potential but also could easily bust then Brown and Chabot fit that

It's not even about risky picks. It's about high upside picks.

We pass on high upside guys for "safe" guys much too often.

We aren't going to draft the next Aho, Kucherov or Pastranak if we go for the safe option.

Reactions: Icelevel

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Karlsson was the last "risky" first round pick we made. Look how well that paid off.

Brown carried risks but he was quite clearly a top 10 talent.

Chabot wasn't risky.

I mean it's quite clear that our weakest round is the first. Which Dorion and Randy Lee I'm assuming have the most say over. And we all know what kind of players those two like.

I wanted Tolvanen, Heppo (2.5 ppg in the whl) , Kostin and its ludicrous that an amateur like me can consistently make better picks than our GM.

Some scouts care wayyyyyy too much about how mature a 17 year old kid is. Rank them on hockey abilities for ffs.

I'm no fan of the Bowers pick, but it's a wee bit early to claim all three of those guys are better picks. They are trending that way, but Heponiemi and Tolvanen still need to prove they can transition to the NHL level which was always the actual question mark, not their abilities at lower levels. Kostin hasn't lit the world on fire at this point either. Drafting players is a long game, not a sprint.

Also, Brown was seen as a very high risk, high reward pick. Some people saw franchise center while others saw Joe Colborne.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
It's not even about risky picks. It's about high upside picks.

We pass on high upside guys for "safe" guys much too often.

We aren't going to draft the next Aho, Kucherov or Pastranak if we go for the safe option.
Brown and Chabot are the definition of high upside picks though...especially Brown who there were a lot of mix reviews about

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I'm no fan of the Bowers pick, but it's a wee bit early to claim all three of those guys are better picks. They are trending that way, but Heponiemi and Tolvanen still need to prove they can transition to the NHL level which was always the actual question mark, not their abilities at lower levels. Kostin hasn't lit the world on fire at this point either. Drafting players is a long game, not a sprint.

Also, Brown was seen as a very high risk, high reward pick. Some people saw franchise center while others saw Joe Colborne.

Right now I think it's fair to say they are.

I mean Formenton and Batherson are better picks as well.

I don't see Bowers having any more potential than perhaps a complimentary 2md line player. But even that is a reach. Heck I think White tops out as complimentary 2nd liner and he's way better than bowers.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Brown and Chabot are the definition of high upside picks though...especially Brown who there were a lot of mix reviews about

Chabot was a blue chip pick. The kind who have high upside and high floors even if they don't reach it.

Brown was risky but it was obvious risk. And tbh I think the risk is overblown for Brown. Even if he doesn't make it as a top liner his package of skill/vision/ and reach is good enough to ensure him being a good middle sixer and that was obvious in the NHL games he played this year.

Brown and Chabot are the good types of picks.

Where they have high upside but even if they "bust" and don't become stars they still have enough skill to stick to an NHL roster.

The bad types of picks are the Lazar and Bowers where the buzz word about them is that they are safe and have potential to be elite 3rd liners. But if they bust they are 4th liners or worse.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Right now I think it's fair to say they are.

I mean Formenton and Batherson are better picks as well.

I don't see Bowers having any more potential than perhaps a complimentary 2md line player. But even that is a reach. Heck I think White tops out as complimentary 2nd liner and he's way better than bowers.

Again though, drafting is a long game. Teravainen looked like a great pick but hasn't panned out, Runblad and Tim Erixon certainly looked like a better pick 2 years down the road than guys drafted before and after them, but how have they turned out? If these were guys who were sure fire NHL players, fine, but they still carry the same risk factors they did when ~30 other teams passed on them. Everybody knew they could be effective players in leagues where lacking physical size and strength wasn't as big of an issue. Maybe they turn out like Gaudreau, maybe they turn out like Schremp.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Again though, drafting is a long game. Teravainen looked like a great pick but hasn't panned out, Runblad and Tim Erixon certainly looked like a better pick 2 years down the road than guys drafted before and after them, but how have they turned out? If these were guys who were sure fire NHL players, fine, but they still carry the same risk factors they did when ~30 other teams passed on them. Everybody knew they could be effective players in leagues where lacking physical size and strength wasn't as big of an issue. Maybe they turn out like Gaudreau, maybe they turn out like Schremp.

Yea any player can bust and its no different for the "safe" players. So why not go for the high upside player? Heck I'd argue that the "low upside" but safe picks are actually the most prone to busting because they never had NHL skill to begin with.

Also Teuvo isn't the best example for you. He has 22 points in 27 games.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yea any player can bust and its no different for the "safe" players. So why not go for the high upside player?

Also Teuvo isn't the best example for you. He has 22 points in 27 games.

Fair enough, I hadn't been following him this year. Appears the long game is paying off with him after all. Point remains, size is a considerable risk factor and lots of smaller players have trouble transitioning and it takes more than a couple years of development to see what you got. It's all about looking at the risk factors though. Pucks skills (or the lack there of) would be a risk, so would defensive play, and a host of other things. Either way, you need to wait and see before knowing whether those risks can be overcome.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

So he would be dishonoured by acquiring a 26 year old C who single handedly helps a team win NHL games? I would give up Shane "freaking" Bowers and a 14th overall for that every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

If Duchene plays that well and we don't make the playoffs, his trade is the least of our worries.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad