Confirmed with Link: Duchene to OTT in three-team trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It's going to be interesting to see what happens when his contract is up. A lot can happen between now and then, but unless he improves there could be a wide gap between what he's actually worth and what he thinks he's worth. Can you imagine the uproar if he walks? It will be tough for PD to spin that.

I would predict he probably extends for something like 6.5M x 5 or 6 years. He is making 6.5M in real money next season, and I think would be opposed to taking a pay cut. He'll be about 28.5 years of age when his extension kicks in.

If Duchene has a third straight 40 point season in 18-19, he's not getting 6.5Mx5-6 years on the open market, but at the same point, it makes no sense for him to take a contract appropriate for a 40 point center from Ottawa because if he plays out the season and actually plays like a 1C, he'll get 7M+ as a UFA on the open market. So it's not like Ottawa can just pay him 4.5M and call it a day because that's what he's been producing like, they have to pay him something close to what he should be worth if he was producing near his previous career average or else he just won't re-sign.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We traded a good top 6 center for a LW that can play some center......This trade never should have involved Turris,Duchene should have been Macarther,s replacement....But again money is what drove this.... So not sure as to why everybody here is so surprised it has failed

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
We traded a good top 6 center for a LW that can play some center......This trade never should have involved Turris,Duchene should have been Macarther,s replacement....But again money is what drove this.... So not sure as to why everybody here is so surprised it has failed

Team is 3–11–3 since they got back from Sweden.

This trade will be regarded as the worst GM move of the 2018 season for Dorion and the best GM move of the season for Preds.

We got fleeced in this deal.

Reactions: SensFactor

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015

It could have involved Turris, if we would have kept a piece of the player coming back from the trade with Nashville.
Let's say we would have kept Girard or the 2nd (?) Then at least the trade doesnt look less bad.

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
I would predict he probably extends for something like 6.5M x 5 or 6 years. He is making 6.5M in real money next season, and I think would be opposed to taking a pay cut. He'll be about 28.5 years of age when his extension kicks in.

If Duchene has a third straight 40 point season in 18-19, he's not getting 6.5Mx5-6 years on the open market, but at the same point, it makes no sense for him to take a contract appropriate for a 40 point center from Ottawa because if he plays out the season and actually plays like a 1C, he'll get 7M+ as a UFA on the open market. So it's not like Ottawa can just pay him 4.5M and call it a day because that's what he's been producing like, they have to pay him something close to what he should be worth if he was producing near his previous career average or else he just won't re-sign.

You know for once it would be nice to actually sign a player to a contract based on what he's doing rather than what he's done in the past...

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
Even if the Sens were sitting in a playoff spot and Duchesne was playing well it was still a moronic trade.

When you trade basically even players but you throw in a whole lot extra...you got fleeced.

When you trade even players except the one you are getting is 6 years older and you give up a second...you got fleeced.

When you give up a steaming pile of crap signed for 2-3 years for a steaming pile signed for 6...you got fleeced.

When you trade a 2nd for a useless old 4th liner...you get the picture.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
After the trade the claim from Boucher was that we now had two number 1 lines. :eyeroll: These are the people in charge of the team we cheer for. Wouldn't be surprised if Dorion asked Boucher "would you rather have Turris or Duchene" and responded with the latter. Really have to wonder what they didn't like with Turris and if its even legitimate.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Player Evaluation on the Duchesne trade was bad, so was Burrows, Phaneuf and Ryan. Those are 3 bigger trades we got worse or declining assets in return.

Those trades with contract obligations are killer on a franchise. They limit your movement ability and you need more from lower paid players to compensate for the overpayment of the veterans.
Coversly you see a big trade . Move can turn team into an elite team (Jeff Carter to L.A., Kessel to Pitt, Hossa to Chicago, Chara to Boston)

You see how a draft like Kucherov/ Namestekov, Getzlaf/Perry, drafting Bergeron/ Krejci in the 2nd round in back to back drafts — can turn a franchise around. If Ottawa has a high pick this year they need a draft that turns the franchise around

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
After the trade the claim from Boucher was that we now had two number 1 lines. :eyeroll: These are the people in charge of the team we cheer for. Wouldn't be surprised if Dorion asked Boucher "would you rather have Turris or Duchene" and responded with the latter. Really have to wonder what they didn't like with Turris and if its even legitimate.

It's pretty obvious something happened between Turris and the management. Whether it was on Turris' side, or the managements. But it's obvious the relationship went sour this summer.

From the start I thought we overpaid for Duchene.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It's pretty obvious something happened between Turris and the management. Whether it was on Turris' side, or the managements. But it's obvious the relationship went sour this summer.

From the start I thought we overpaid for Duchene.

Well yah, pretty much everyone thought we over paid for Duchene... to me the argument was did we end up with the better player ... Duchene vs Turris.. I would say at the time of the trade most people thought we ended up with the better player. Now that tune has changed

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

You’re conveniently ignoring the part that Turris may not have wanted to re-sign. Why wasn’t there more of a priority to re-sign him in July? That should have been our most important issue or one of the most important.

Who knows how contract nevgotiations we’re going? Who knows what Turris was thinking? Did he have a problem with ownership? Management? Coach? All of the above? Did Ottawa not want him at 6 plus years? I’m guessing we’ll never know.

Reactions: AvsGuy

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Well yah, pretty much everyone thought we over paid for Duchene... to me the argument was did we end up with the better player ... Duchene vs Turris.. I would say at the time of the trade most people thought we ended up with the better player. Now that tune has changed

Yeah, I thought we got the marginally better player. But I didn't think it was worth the gamble to get that marginal improvement at the risk of Duchene not fitting in or creating chemistry issues. (which ended up becoming reality)

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You’re conveniently ignoring the part that Turris may not have wanted to re-sign. Why wasn’t there more of a priority to re-sign him in July? That should have been our most important issue or one of the most important.

Who knows how contract nevgotiations we’re going? Who knows what Turris was thinking? Did he have a problem with ownership? Management? Coach? All of the above? Did Ottawa not want him at 6 plus years? I’m guessing we’ll never know.
So giving him up, only to have to deal with the exact same issue in less than 2 years,and also adding 2 first rounders seems like the thing to do?????

I dont for a minute believe that Turris didnt want to stay,he just wanted his money.....Our owner didnt want to pay him ,so again we burn more assets getting back a simmerular player ..But with a contract that the owner wanted,and he still made PD dump Hammond burning another asset for 1 more season at 1.2 million....Sorry man I have followed this team since day 1 .I am sick of budgets and OWNERSHIP cheaping out on our team .We deserve far better

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
So giving him up, only to have to deal with the exact same issue in less than 2 years,and also adding 2 first rounders seems like the thing to do?????

I dont for a minute believe that Turris didnt want to stay,he just wanted his money.....Our owner didnt want to pay him ,so again we burn more assets getting back a simmerular player ..But with a contract that the owner wanted,and he still made PD dump Hammond burning another asset for 1 more season at 1.2 million....Sorry man I have followed this team since day 1 .I am sick of budgets and OWNERSHIP cheaping out on our team .We deserve far better

A lot of speculation in your post. Why would Melnyk not wanted to pay Turris? Don’t you think Duchene will cost just as much if not more when he needs a new deal? If we can re-sign Ryan, why wouldn’t he pay for Turris? We’ve given big extensions to lots of players in the past. Heatley got a huge extension. Spezza, Alfie etc. We were able to put up the money to get lots of guys to stick around. Why would it change with Turris?

We don’t know what happened between Turris and Ottawa.
Lots of rumours, but we can’t say for sure we know what went down. You seem to want to put it all on Melnyk without having all the facts. Maybe it was Melnyk, maybe it wasn’t. Maybe there’s more to it, I don’t know.

Reactions: JD1

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
A lot of speculation in your post. Why would Melnyk not wanted to pay Turris? Don’t you think Duchene will cost just as much if not more when he needs a new deal? If we can re-sign Ryan, why wouldn’t he pay for Turris? We’ve given big extensions to lots of players in the past. Heatley got a huge extension. Spezza, Alfie etc. We were able to put up the money to get lots of guys to stick around. Why would it change with Turris?

We don’t know what happened between Turris and Ottawa.
Lots of rumours, but we can’t say for sure we know what went down. You seem to want to put it all on Melnyk without having all the facts. Maybe it was Melnyk, maybe it wasn’t. Maybe there’s more to it, I don’t know.
Did we not include a 3rd rounder for COL to take Hammond???How about the 2nd we tossed in so NY would pay Brasard,s bonus???Having to take a contract like Phanuef,just to remove guys like Greening and Cowen ,both of whom had less than 2 seasons remaining.And we had like 10 mil in cap space ....Come on if you dont think ownership has its hand in everything when it come to player decisions ,then i think you may be being a bit naive .

Look I for one understand the resigning Turris was unlikely to turn out pretty in the long run .But sometimes you have to make moves to win now .Getting rid of Turris for Duchene wasnt a win now move at all,it was a remain status quo move.To really make a serious move ,we resigned Turris and then traded for Duchene ,to fill the gapping hole on LW that still as yet to be filled when Macrther went down

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Did we not include a 3rd rounder for COL to take Hammond???How about the 2nd we tossed in so NY would pay Brasard,s bonus???Having to take a contract like Phanuef,just to remove guys like Greening and Cowen ,both of whom had less than 2 seasons remaining.And we had like 10 mil in cap space ....Come on if you dont think ownership has its hand in everything when it come to player decisions ,then i think you may be being a bit naive .

Look I for one understand the resigning Turris was unlikely to turn out pretty in the long run .But sometimes you have to make moves to win now .Getting rid of Turris for Duchene wasnt a win now move at all,it was a remain status quo move.To really make a serious move ,we resigned Turris and then traded for Duchene ,to fill the gapping hole on LW that still as yet to be filled when Macrther went down

Who signed Greening and Cowen to those contracts? The GM not the owner. Why do you never put any blame on the GM? You can’t just ask the owner to bail you out everytime you make a mistake. I’d like to be able to buy guys out too, but if you make the mess by signing guys to bad contracts why is that the owners fault?

I agree with you on the 2nd rounder in the Brassard trade.

Also, why all the question marks????

Lol

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

did we really give up a 3rd for Colorado to take Hammond's contract? or is that board speculation?

We got Phaneuf to help solidify our top 4. He did that. He has a bad contract though. The contracts that went out make the real money out on Phaneuf an ok deal. We had a decent run with Phaneuf in our top 4. If you view that negatively fill your boots but that kind of deal, take a contract get rid of a contract(s), happens all the time. you hear the pundits and GMs talk about it regularly. Money in money out. I think it's pretty hard to view that deal negatively. The guy is not worth the contract but the trade worked out well for us.

Keeping Turris AND getting Duchene really wasn't possible. Lots of guys have suggested it but we didn't really have the assets to do that. It's easy to sit in your armchair and play GM but in the real world that particular trade was not possible without say Ceci + Chabot in the deal and I'm thrilled we didn't do that.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You know for once it would be nice to actually sign a player to a contract based on what he's doing rather than what he's done in the past...

I agree...that's just the way the league / CBA is structured

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
did we really give up a 3rd for Colorado to take Hammond's contract? or is that board speculation?

We got Phaneuf to help solidify our top 4. He did that. He has a bad contract though. The contracts that went out make the real money out on Phaneuf an ok deal. We had a decent run with Phaneuf in our top 4. If you view that negatively fill your boots but that kind of deal, take a contract get rid of a contract(s), happens all the time. you hear the pundits and GMs talk about it regularly. Money in money out. I think it's pretty hard to view that deal negatively. The guy is not worth the contract but the trade worked out well for us.

Keeping Turris AND getting Duchene really wasn't possible. Lots of guys have suggested it but we didn't really have the assets to do that. It's easy to sit in your armchair and play GM but in the real world that particular trade was not possible without say Ceci + Chabot in the deal and I'm thrilled we didn't do that.
There was nobody offering up close to that ...As for Hammond are you telling me we the deal would have come apart without that 3rd rounder???Come on get real

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Who signed Greening and Cowen to those contracts? The GM not the owner. Why do you never put any blame on the GM? You can’t just ask the owner to bail you out everytime you make a mistake. I’d like to be able to buy guys out too, but if you make the mess by signing guys to bad contracts why is that the owners fault?

I agree with you on the 2nd rounder in the Brassard trade.

Also, why all the question marks????

Lol
Greening was resigned much to this boards delight.....Including me ,a big fast winger that looked like a surefire top 9 winger.His contract was not some sort of albatross it was cheap and easily moved or bought out if a trade could not be facilitated...The latter was never an option as we have seen now ,but i guess having him play for nothing while we waited to see if he could maintain his level of play was a third option to you??

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
There was nobody offering up close to that ...As for Hammond are you telling me we the deal would have come apart without that 3rd rounder???Come on get real
the ONLY thing I'm telling you is that your statement that we had to include a 3rd for Colorado to take Hammond is negative speculation on your end.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
the ONLY thing I'm telling you is that your statement that we had to include a 3rd for Colorado to take Hammond is negative speculation on your end.
So why was he included then??Col didnt need him neither did we .....So why give up a 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad