Confirmed with Link: Duchene to OTT in three-team trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It was obviously a bad trade. He's clearly a step down from Turris, but it's not *****e's fault that Andy can't stop a puck, Karlsson looks like a hollow shell of his former self, Ceci thinks he's taking swimming lessons, Brassard's hiding under the bench etc. If a one for one trade does that much damage to a team, it says more about the core than the incoming player.

I think it's a bit early to be saying that. Prior to the trade, the vast majority would have agreed to the contrary, and the only difference now is watching 12 games of him playing an unfamiliar system on a team mired in one of the worst slumps I've seen this team go through.

I'm disappointed in the trade because of the first that was included. I think Duchene will find his way though.

I feel bad for Duchene though; he wanted out of Colorado because he was tired of playing for a terrible team in perpetual rebuild, and lands here at the start of our biggest slump in quite a while, and things are looking about as bleak as they ever have. Terrible situation, and may lead to him thinking about other options come UFA time.

ffayyca

Nov 6, 2010
Duchene is a flashier player than Turris. I think it will take some time for him to find chemistry with other players. Some posters bash the Zib Brassard trade because Zib is playing better in NY, but when he's here, he didn't really have good chemistry with the others.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
So far from the sample size in Ottawa, Duchenes go to move is come down the wing, drive to the side of the net and try to bring it out front for a tap in in-close.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So far from the sample size in Ottawa, Duchenes go to move is come down the wing, drive to the side of the net and try to bring it out front for a tap in in-close.

He definitely will drive the net like that. He also has been pretty effective in creating space for himself off the cycle, but nobody ever seems to be in a position to take advantage when he does.

Imo, his linemates need to head to the net looking for rebounds when he does the outside rush thing, and get open in the slot when he's working the cycle on the boards. Sometimes he's not seeing opportunities, but from what I've seen, his linemates have been slow to take advantage of the potential opportunities his individual efforts have made.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Well then you should be a happy man since they never offered Turris a contract of any kind. Not 7 or 8 years, 5 or 6 years - Turris wanted to stay, the Sens wanted Duchene.

I don’t think you know that for sure. And even if a concrete offer was never made, there certainly would have been discussions about contract frameworks.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
He definitely will drive the net like that. He also has been pretty effective in creating space for himself off the cycle, but nobody ever seems to be in a position to take advantage when he does.

Imo, his linemates need to head to the net looking for rebounds when he does the outside rush thing, and get open in the slot when he's working the cycle on the boards. Sometimes he's not seeing opportunities, but from what I've seen, his linemates have been slow to take advantage of the potential opportunities his individual efforts have made.
Well, from what I see, he usually doesn't look for a teammate to pass it to other than on the point. Kind of like a bull in a china shop with its head down.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well, from what I see, he usually doesn't look for a teammate to pass it to other than on the point. Kind of like a bull in a china shop with its head down.

Bit of a chicken and the egg scenario. If his linemates don't get to the soft spots, he won't look to pass to them. Communication seems to be the issue. If Smith tells him when he goes into the corners, he'll set up shop at the faceoff circles, maybe he gets some chances from it.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
While I don't think Duchene is going to maintain his 14P pace as a Senator, it's pretty obvious the Duchene we got is no longer a PPG superstar. I was hoping for a 60-70P center, given what we gave up for him, but now he looks more like a 50-60P center.

Chalk this one up with the Ryan and Brassaard trades as another lateral move where we get arguably worse while giving up significant young assets.

Reactions: Sens

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
While I don't think Duchene is going to maintain his 14P pace as a Senator, it's pretty obvious the Duchene we got is no longer a PPG superstar.

Chalk this one up with the Ryan and Brassaard trades as another lateral move where we get arguably worse while giving up significant young assets.

PPG in this league is elite talent 82 pts is really high and only 7 players did it last year. You can't expect that

I still think he is a first line center though who will find his way

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
The timing was similar, but there doesn't appear to be any evidence of cause effect. Duchene's lines actually played well immediately following the trade. They created chances, but never capitalized. Unless guys soured on it weeks after the trade, and stopped playing the system because they missed Turris, I just don't see it. Lots around here complain about Duchene's lack of chemistry with his linemates, but ignore that Turris' line wasn't exactly performing great when he was hear either. Sure, Turris produced more pts, but the line wasn't winning the ES battle.

With everything you guys describe and the results seen on the ice, I think their absolutely could be a strong case that losing Turris has caused a locker room disruption which has caused the coach to lose the team.

Ottawa fans need not be defensive over the idea that trading Turris for Duchene was a mistake. Skill wise, they are similar. But you don't know what impact removing Turris would have had until it happened.

Personally I don't see this slide happening before the trade. Ottawa's trademark was hard work, and a devotion to that successful but boring system. A system doesn't suddenly stop working over night. The players just stopped working the system. There is a reason they've stopped working. And I think it's related to losing Turris.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
With everything you guys describe and the results seen on the ice, I think their absolutely could be a strong case that losing Turris has caused a locker room disruption which has caused the coach to lose the team.

Ottawa fans need not be defensive over the idea that trading Turris for Duchene was a mistake. Skill wise, they are similar. But you don't know what impact removing Turris would have had until it happened.

Personally I don't see this slide happening before the trade. Ottawa's trademark was hard work, and a devotion to that successful but boring system. A system doesn't suddenly stop working over night. The players just stopped working the system. There is a reason they've stopped working. And I think it's related to losing Turris.
If Turris is the reason that all of the sudden these guys are willing to throw away a season and maybe even some of their careers then they have bigger issues mentally to deal with

i highly doubt thats the ONLY reason though. If you watch the games you can see that

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
PPG in this league is elite talent 82 pts is really high and only 7 players did it last year. You can't expect that

I still think he is a first line center though who will find his way

I wasn't expecting a PPG player, i was expecting a 60-70P guy. Was pointing out that Duchene was a PPG player in his prime, which he looks like he has left.

Still you'd think giving up two 1sts would get us an upgrade of at least 20-30P from an established 50-60P center like Turris :dunno:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I wasn't expecting a PPG player, i was expecting a 60-70P guy. Was pointing out that Duchene was a PPG player in his prime, which he looks like he has left.

Still you'd think giving up two 1sts would get us an upgrade of at least 20-30P from an established 50-60P center like Turris :dunno:

Pretty sure scoring was higher back then

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Well they gave up a 1st and Bowers.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
If Turris is the reason that all of the sudden these guys are willing to throw away a season and maybe even some of their careers then they have bigger issues mentally to deal with

i highly doubt thats the ONLY reason though. If you watch the games you can see that

I don't care enough about this discussion to start watching Ottawa games. LOL.

I'm going by what you guys describe and the results show in highlights of some of Ottawa's games. And the fact you are just losing to teams you shouldn't be losing too.

I do believe 1 player's loss can impact a team's moral to cause this kind of a drop off though. Absolutely.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I don't care enough about this discussion to start watching Ottawa games. LOL.

I'm going by what you guys describe and the results show in highlights of some of Ottawa's games. And the fact you are just losing to teams you shouldn't be losing too.

I do believe 1 player's loss can impact a team's moral to cause this kind of a drop off though. Absolutely.
So you are basing your opinion on other peoples opinions and highlight tapes of a scoreless ottawa team? LOL.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
So you are basing your opinion on other peoples opinions and highlight tapes of a scoreless ottawa team? LOL.

And the obvious fact that the drop off has happened almost overnight (2 games against Colorado after the trade doesn't negate that)

And my belief that one player can be the cog in the wheel.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
And the obvious fact that the drop off has happened almost overnight (2 games against Colorado after the trade doesn't negate that)

And my belief that one player can be the cog in the wheel.

I understand your position, but I don’t necessarily agree.

Most of what we know about the situation indicates that this trade was not unexpected. The writing was supposedly on the wall. I’d have to imagine that many of the guys knew that Turris wasn’t long for Ottawa. Shouldn’t the drop off in morale have preceded the actual trade, which everyone seemed to see coming?

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I understand your position, but I don’t necessarily agree.

Most of what we know about the situation indicates that this trade was not unexpected. The writing was supposedly on the wall. I’d have to imagine that many of the guys knew that Turris wasn’t long for Ottawa. Shouldn’t the drop off in morale have preceded the actual trade, which everyone seemed to see coming?

Maybe they all still hoped that some miracle deal would have happened at the 1th hour?

The only other explanation here is that several elements all went sour at roughly the exact same time as the trade.

Which seems a bit far fetched too me.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
How can people already be saying that Turris is better than Duchene lol... It's like saying after 4 months last season that JT Miller is better than Brassard, or something to that effect.

So far I realized that Duchene is a better possession player, better skater, better passer, and much stronger on the puck. I'm not sure about the rest yet. What Turris had on him is integration in Boucher's system.

Many plays died on Turris' stick on our PP on the left side, and down low in the offensive zone in general. It's been the polar opposite for Duchene for those two specific things. Too bad the whole team has sucked in sync though.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How can people already be saying that Turris is better than Duchene lol... It's like saying after 4 months last season that JT Miller is better than Brassard, or something to that effect.

So far I realized that Duchene is a better possession player, better skater, better passer, and much stronger on the puck. I'm not sure about the rest yet. What Turris had on him is integration in Boucher's system.

Many plays died on Turris' stick on our PP on the left side, and down low in the offensive zone in general. It's been the polar opposite for Duchene for those two specific things. Too bad the whole team has sucked in sync though.
No way duchene is a better passer lol. Turris had great distribution. Especially in the offensive zone.

What turris has over him is simply smarts

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
No way duchene is a better passer lol. Turris had great distribution. Especially in the offensive zone.

What turris has over him is simply smarts

That's the one thing I'm leaning towards Duchene for, but that's still a bit unclear for me.

Duchene is better for in-close passes in tight areas imo. Makes nifty little backhand and forehand plays in and around the net to create chances for his linemates. Turris would make some nice cross-ice passes over longer distances.

I'll leave more time to decide on smarts, because when a player is learning a difficult system he can get brain farts. It's only natural. I've seen a couple from Duchene for sure.

Athletique_Canadien

Dec 13, 2005
Halifax, NS
....I think their absolutely could be a strong case that losing Turris has caused a locker room disruption which has caused the coach to lose the team.....

I come in peace not to troll but I think BVG might be on to something here. All of my friends who are fans of other teams including Sens friends wonder if it's not Duchene being an issue but instead the room was negatively affected by the departure of Turris.

It's s theory but it might hold water. Take the Habs, during our super slump many wondered if Markov loss hurt the room. I've worked as a trainer in pro and I've witnessed 1st hand the problems that stem from the room rear their ugly head on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad