Confirmed with Link: Duchene to OTT in three-team trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I thought we gave up a bit too much to get him. Obviously if he continues to play like his last ~40 games, I'd be wrong. Always liked the player, just didn't see him in that tier of top 20 or so centers in the league. If he can cement his place in that tier, the trade was worth it and then some. I liked Turris, but he was a tweener. Duchene might not be in that upper echelon of a guy like Tavares, but he's been playing like a legit top line center.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
As an Avalanche fan let me offer up a preliminary apology for how hard I will be rooting for the Senators to crater next year.

You're a good bunch of fans, deserve a better owner and if a team breaks the Canadian Stanley Cup drought I hope it's you guys.

However the Sens failure next year is the Avs success.

Your team should be #1 reason why you shouldn't bank on that to happen. What a stupid idea to come in here and post this.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
How so? Duchene actually produces. Of the things to complain about this year, I feel like this is not at the top of the list.
Gave up way too much futures for a player who will cost us a huge amount of money to retain because we for whatever reason wanted another player with only 2 years left until UFA.

This is definitely the worst thing Dorion did. That first round pick is more valuable to us than Duchene. We're going to begin a rebuild without a first. 7 guaranteed years of a top player vs 2 years of Duchene. Best case scenario is we get Duchene signed to around 9M per season but can't surround him with talent or we deal him for a good return at the deadline next year but less than what we gave up. Worst case is we gave up Jack Hughes + for 1.5 years of Duchene.

I can't believe Dorion has control of hockey ops for 3 more years. Imagine the damage he'll do in this time. Its scary.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Gave up way too much futures for a player who will cost us a huge amount of money to retain because we for whatever reason wanted another player with only 2 years left until UFA.

This is definitely the worst thing Dorion did. That first round pick is more valuable to us than Duchene. We're going to begin a rebuild without a first. 7 guaranteed years of a top player vs 2 years of Duchene. Best case scenario is we get Duchene signed to around 9M per season but can't surround him with talent or we deal him for a good return at the deadline next year but less than what we gave up. Worst case is we gave up Jack Hughes + for 1.5 years of Duchene.

I can't believe Dorion has control of hockey ops for 3 more years. Imagine the damage he'll do in this time. Its scary.

We're going to begin a rebuild with (at least) 2 first round picks this year, including a pick in the top 5. If Ottawa tanks again next season then losing the 2019 first could hurt, but it's not like there's nothing in the pipeline.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009

I feel like you're trying a bit too hard to hate on everything Sens right now. Let's wait for the lottery, see where we pick and go from there. It's not all bad...it really isn't.

Reactions: IWantMyParade

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I feel like you're trying a bit too hard to hate on everything Sens right now. Let's wait for the lottery, see where we pick and go from there. It's not all bad...it really isn't.
Its really bad. I dunno what else has to happen for anyone to admit that. The team just finished 30th overall, has long term commitments financially to some really awful hockey players, we traded away a first round pick for a guy who we only have signed for one more year, our 3 best players all need new contracts and it does not appear we will be able to financially compensate all of them. Again, we're the 30th overall team and we won't even be able to keep the actual good players on our team.

We signed one of the worst general managers in the league to a three year extension and he's working on trading the best player who's ever suited up for the team to save the owner money. That terrible manager seems set on bringing back one of the worst coaches in the NHL.

Like, how could it honestly be any worse than this? This team is on track to suck for a very very long time.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011

You make a lot of assumptions.

-Duchene had a 0.72 point production, 52.3% F/O with the Sens after a slow 20 first games with us. He's good and a very good fit for the Sens.

-He could end up costing 7-7.5 mil per yr and not 9+ as you're suggesting. He's worth that.

-We have 2 first this year, 1 in the top 5. Add Dahlin/Svech/Zadina/other and Thomas/Bokk/Olofsson etc. to Brown, White, Batherson, Formenton, Chlapik, Jaros, Wolanin.

- We already have a good core of Stone, Duchene, Hoffman, Dzingel, Pageau and Karlsson, Chabot on D and Gus in net. We're in pretty good shape to not be bottom 5 team next year. Look at the Avs? Look at where Dallas and Calgary placed compared to where they expected? What about Vegas? We can rebound next year and tbh I wouldn't lose any sleep over a 15-31st pick in 2019. Jack Hughes isn't guaranteed to be an Avalanche.

Last edited:

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Really love that interview. How many players are that aware of their team's prospect pool or even give a **** about the draft?

This. He recognized having the 2nd-5th overall pick is a chance to add a superstar player to an already pretty good core and the team is going in the right direction. He has a hockey fan mind set but as a player, it's a good resource to have.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
As long as we re-sign this guy, we have won this trade. Clearly better than all of the forwards we already had. I know stone is arguably just as good but is way too injury prone.

Here is one thing I would like the Dorion haters to consider. A lotofem said this trade was stupid when it happened and that it was Dorion's worst mistake. Well that was clearly wrong, so maybe, just maybe, he isn't as wrong about other decisions that you would have made differently.

Would you have drafted Batherson? Traded up for Brown? Signed Luchuk? Got Chabot at 18, White 21,? I don't know if I would have haha.

We have arguably the best player right now in the OHL playoffs, Brown is a 6 foot 6 centre who is dominating other teams. He is going to be captivating in the NHL.

We are loaded with talent like Toronto was a couple of years ago. I personally think we already have a strong core with Duchene, Stone, Dzingel, Pageau and White alone, if we keep Hoffman then gravy, that's two top lines. If we keep Karl we are definitely right back into the playoffs on his healthy back alone (optimistic). And of course the top 5 pick is tantalising just to think about the potential.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
Its really bad. I dunno what else has to happen for anyone to admit that. The team just finished 30th overall, has long term commitments financially to some really awful hockey players, we traded away a first round pick for a guy who we only have signed for one more year, our 3 best players all need new contracts and it does not appear we will be able to financially compensate all of them. Again, we're the 30th overall team and we won't even be able to keep the actual good players on our team.

We signed one of the worst general managers in the league to a three year extension and he's working on trading the best player who's ever suited up for the team to save the owner money. That terrible manager seems set on bringing back one of the worst coaches in the NHL.

Like, how could it honestly be any worse than this? This team is on track to suck for a very very long time.
See my above post s'il te plait.

Reactions: coladin

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
We are loaded with talent like Toronto was a couple of years ago. I personally think we already have a strong core with Duchene, Stone, Dzingel, Pageau and White alone, if we keep Hoffman then gravy, that's two top lines. If we keep Karl we are definitely right back into the playoffs on his healthy back alone (optimistic). And of course the top 5 pick is tantalising just to think about the potential.

It's funny, I was just thinking our team resembles a very different Toronto Maple Leafs. The Leafs from about a decade ago, just after the Kessel trade.

Last off-season, our management vastly overestimated the roster's ability and decided to make a big move for a 1st line forward.

In doing so, they traded a potential top 10 pick and other valuable pieces for a talented offensive player. A skilled and useful piece but not coveted as your typical 'building block/franchise forward.'

Where have I seen this before...

Our goaltending is questionable, and if Karlsson walks the defence will be ugly.

The Sens' situation is less dire, but I'd hardly compare our team to the rebuilding Leafs.

Aside from Brown (a high-risk, high-reward prospect) and Chabot, we don't have many prospects/rookies that stand out as terribly enticing. Nothing compares to Matthews, Marner, and Nylander. I'll be very optimistic if we land a top 3 pick in this draft and keep Karlsson, but otherwise it's looking like a bleak couple years are ahead.

At least Stone, Duchene, and Hoffman are reasonably young. If they can be better versions of Kadri, JVR, etc. we could come out on the other side of this rebuild with a pretty nice squad.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
It's funny, I was just thinking our team resembles a very different Toronto Maple Leafs. The Leafs from about a decade ago, just after the Kessel trade.

Last off-season, our management vastly overestimated the roster's ability and decided to make a big move for a 1st line forward.

In doing so, they traded a potential top 10 pick and other valuable pieces for a talented offensive player. A skilled and useful piece but not coveted as your typical 'building block/franchise forward.'

Where have I seen this before...

Our goaltending is questionable, and if Karlsson walks the defence will be ugly.

The Sens' situation is less dire, but I'd hardly compare our team to the rebuilding Leafs.

Aside from Brown (a high-risk, high-reward prospect) and Chabot, we don't have many prospects/rookies that stand out as terribly enticing. Nothing compares to Matthews, Marner, and Nylander. I'll be very optimistic if we land a top 3 pick in this draft and keep Karlsson, but otherwise it's looking like a bleak couple years are ahead.

At least Stone, Duchene, and Hoffman are reasonably young. If they can be better versions of Kadri, JVR, etc. we could come out on the other side of this rebuild with a pretty nice squad.
1) Kessel is really good, Toronto was bad. Remember pittsburgh? Do you member?

2) Bobby Ryan is not even close to Matt Duchene. Duchene is an iron man, Ryan "lacks intensity" and has no fingers left because of it haha. So ya one is a great hockey nerd and player and the other gets injured like a little baby duckling would, if a baby duckling played in the NHL. Bad comparison

3) Ya same goaltenders last year when we almost won the cup. Goalies are a funny thing, we never fully blame them on bad years but herald them on good years. And hopefully next year is another good one, either way Gus will eventually drive the bus. and sooner rather than later the way he is playing in Belleville.

4) Ya actually they do compare to Matthews Marner and Nylander. White, Batherson and Chabot all had similar or arguably better World Junior Championships. Chabot was MVP, amazing now scoring goals. White had 7 goals leading team USA to a championahip and Batherson had 7 goals, 1 sweet assist and best Canadian Forward on a WJC winning squad. If Brown had played this year he would have dominated as he is doing now in the OHL, like Marner did..... Btrown already has his Memorial cup too. Ummm so we are just a bit younger and we have no obvious Matthews, seulment difference. We are all clutch.

5) We already have a guaranteed top5 pick and like 50 % chance of a top 3 pick, so you have reason to be optimistic. Karlsson says he wants to stay and he might not be lying, so there is that too.

Yo, how about watch the Sens, follow the team, know the prospects before coming out swinging with negativity.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
My favourite part of that interview, and I loved the whole thing, was hearing him say that after talking with PD in his exit interview he felt that management and he were on the same page with regards to the direction of the franchise.

In my opinion that's big, and quite likely means that it's in line with what we all want. To have him come on the radio right after and be as stoked as he is should tell us something.

I like being positive and hopeful obviously, but I get the strong feeling that we're going to extend Duchene, EK, and Stone this summer. Hearing him be so excited has made me excited!

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
My favourite part of that interview, and I loved the whole thing, was hearing him say that after talking with PD in his exit interview he felt that management and he were on the same page with regards to the direction of the franchise.

In my opinion that's big, and quite likely means that it's in line with what we all want. To have him come on the radio right after and be as stoked as he is should tell us something.

I like being positive and hopeful obviously, but I get the strong feeling that we're going to extend Duchene, EK, and Stone this summer. Hearing him be so excited has made me excited!
I was pretty sure he was gone at the TDL, but I feel better the last few weeks. Karlsson can be pretty brutally honest, he may not have outwardly said he wanted out today, but he definitely would have dropped some hints and been less positive. Not saying he isn't getting traded now, but I think it's realistic to think he might be here for the long term.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
You make a lot of assumptions.

-Duchene had a 0.72 point production, 52.3% F/O with the Sens after a slow 20 first games with us. He's good and a very good fit for the Sens.

-He could end up costing 7-7.5 mil per yr and not 9+ as you're suggesting. He's worth that.

-We have 2 first this year, 1 in the top 5. Add Dahlin/Svech/Zadina/other and Thomas/Bokk/Olofsson etc. to Brown, White, Batherson, Formenton, Chlapik, Jaros, Wolanin.

- We already have a good core of Stone, Duchene, Hoffman, Dzingel, Pageau and Karlsson, Chabot on D and Gus in net. We're in pretty good shape to not be bottom 5 team next year. Look at the Avs? Look at where Dallas and Calgary placed compared to where they expected? What about Vegas? We can rebound next year and tbh I wouldn't lose any sleep over a 15-31st pick in 2019. Jack Hughes isn't guaranteed to be an Avalanche.

Why do you think Duchene will settle for 7-7.5M? This isn't 2008. Anze Kopitar signed an 8 year 80M contract last year. Stamkos 8 year 68M (8.5 AAV)Getzlaf's contract signed in 2013 was 8 years 66M (8.25M AAV). Ryan Johansen's new deal is 8 years 64M (8M AAV), that deal has a RFA year. Giroux in 2014 was 8 years 66M. Draisaitl 8 years 68M, that's with 4 RFA years! David Backes 5 years 30M (6M AAV).

Watch whatever Stastny and Tavares get this summer, then pick a number in between their AAVs. It won't be 7M. It will be between 8 and 13M.

Really don't get what's complicated about this for people here. 7M isn't the going rate for #1Cs and hasn't been for nearly a decade. 7M is closer to 2nd C money.
As long as we re-sign this guy, we have won this trade. Clearly better than all of the forwards we already had. I know stone is arguably just as good but is way too injury prone. G

Here is one thing I would like the Dorion haters to consider. A lotofem said this trade was stupid when it happened and that it was Dorion's worst mistake. Well that was clearly wrong, so maybe, just maybe, he isn't as wrong about other decisions that you would have made differently.

Would you have drafted Batherson? Traded up for Brown? Signed Luchuk? Got Chabot at 18, White 21,? I don't know if I would have haha.

We have arguably the best player right now in the OHL playoffs, Brown is a 6 foot 6 centre who is dominating other teams. He is going to be captivating in the NHL.

Yikes. You are really blinded by your homerism. LOADED WITH TALENT? That's just... not close to accurate. This team just finished 30th. Our farm team finished 28th. I like our prospects, but its not special when compared to other teams. Tampa has as good, if not better prospects and they're already a top team. Same with Nashville, Vegas, Boston etc. The fact that you bring up Luchuk tells me how familiar you are with prospects and the lower levels of hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad