Confirmed with Link: Duchene to OTT in three-team trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
WELL, he may have gone over board calling Duchene a 40 point player from here on out... but I think its also crazy to look at Duchenes hottest streak ( I think ever?) and be like "this is the real Duchene and the one we will always get" in what is a throwaway season.

He's been playing at around a point per game lately, and has a couple seasons he finished around a point per game (one was lockout shortened mind you). If you think this is his hottest streak ever, you haven't paid much attention to his career. 49 pts in the last 45 in 2013-14, for example, or he had a 35 points in 33 games stretch in 2015-16. Heck, even in a disastrous 2016-17 season, he had a 26 game stretch where he was flirting with a point per game.

The important thing to note though is that he's passing the eye test while putting up points; it's obvious this isn't a case of getting some lucky bounces, he's creating chances game in game out. He was passing the eye test during his cold stretch too, though lacked the chemistry with his line mates to maximize on it.

Sure, he might not continue to be a point per game player, but this is a heck of a lot closer to the production you should expect than the cold streak he started off his tenure with.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
Whether or not you take issue with me calling Ryan dead money, ultimately doesn't change the point of my post you quoted. We cannot compete with Karlsson at 12.5M and (whatever you want to call) the combination of Ryan+Gaborik+Phaneuf+Non-Insured Mac at 12M-13M under a 68M self imposed salary cap, which is why we're probably on the road to a rebuild.
I started by saying it was a good post. I agree that your point still stands.

I just think it's unfair to label Ryan's entire contract dead money and your "12-13 million" number is more like 8-9 million. That's still a big number but there is a top 4 d-man in the difference.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
WELL, he may have gone over board calling Duchene a 40 point player from here on out... but I think its also crazy to look at Duchenes hottest streak ( I think ever?) and be like "this is the real Duchene and the one we will always get" in what is a throwaway season.

Me too.

I'm very wary of giving Duchene a big UFA contract before seeing a full season of strong play. Obviously he won't be amazing 82 games in a row, no player is. I'm just having a hard time getting over the complete collapse in Colorado, along with the feeling this could turn into another Ryan-esque contract that kills us a little ways down the road. It may not be fair to Duchene to feel this way, but a budget team that has already been burned, it's hard to have that trust again for another guy in a similar situation.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He's been playing at around a point per game lately, and has a couple seasons he finished around a point per game (one was lockout shortened mind you). If you think this is his hottest streak ever, you haven't paid much attention to his career. 49 pts in the last 45 in 2013-14, for example, or he had a 35 points in 33 games stretch in 2015-16. Heck, even in a disastrous 2016-17 season, he had a 26 game stretch where he was flirting with a point per game.

The important thing to note though is that he's passing the eye test while putting up points; it's obvious this isn't a case of getting some lucky bounces, he's creating chances game in game out. He was passing the eye test during his cold stretch too, though lacked the chemistry with his line mates to maximize on it.

Sure, he might not continue to be a point per game player, but this is a heck of a lot closer to the production you should expect than the cold streak he started off his tenure with.
lol so its one of his hottest streak ever... when he hovers around a point per game that's his best... which we would be foolish to think that THAT might be what we get over 82 games... which is my point.

hes played awesome no doubt.. but I think its early for the "I told you so's to come raining down". lets have him drive us to the playoffs first.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Me too.

I'm very wary of giving Duchene a big UFA contract before seeing a full season of strong play. Obviously he won't be amazing 82 games in a row, no player is. I'm just having a hard time getting over the complete collapse in Colorado, along with the feeling this could turn into another Ryan-esque contract that kills us a little ways down the road. It may not be fair to Duchene to feel this way, but a budget team that has already been burned, it's hard to have that trust again for another guy in a similar situation.
his natural skating ability will more than likely keep him competitive into his mid 30s. just hope for no injuries ala gaborik but yeah.. I wanna see what happens next year.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
his natural skating ability will more than likely keep him competitive into his mid 30s. just hope for no injuries ala gaborik but yeah.. I wanna see what happens next year.

Oh, I'm not worried about his skating. I'm worried about what's happening between the ears. Colorado ended very badly.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
lol so its one of his hottest streak ever... when he hovers around a point per game that's his best... which we would be foolish to think that THAT might be what we get over 82 games... which is my point.

hes played awesome no doubt.. but I think its early for the "I told you so's to come raining down". lets have him drive us to the playoffs first.
Well, he did finish a season 1 point shy of a point per game in 13-14 so how foolish is it to think he could do that again? Duchene was 22 that year, and 26 this year. Karlsson was 21 when he put up near a pt per game, and didn't hit a point per game or close to it again until he was 25. Kessel hit a point per game at 26 and and didn't come close again until this year at 30. Situations dictate a lot when it comes to point production. Health, line mates, team system, ect. What's important is that Duchene's production right now appears to be the result of good fundamentals. There's more reason to be optimistic about his future production than pessimistic, which is frankly the overall point, not that we should expect a point per game forever going forward, but that we should expect a solid player going forward.

Reactions: Mr Hat and DrEasy

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
why is there even a need for 'i told you so'

Anyone who has followed hockey since karlsson has come in to the league know how good duchene is and has been. Dude was on team canada lol

He is very good

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
why is there even a need for 'i told you so'

Anyone who has followed hockey since karlsson has come in to the league know how good duchene is and has been. Dude was on team canada lol

He is very good
the question has never been is he good

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
ill take a PPG Matt Duchene anyday over Turris.

Question is, can he sustain?

Im still a huge fan of the trade, and have been steadfast in my ****posting reminding the community of that. lol

Haven't regretted the trade for a second to date personally, the guy is fun to watch play and is noticeable everytime hes on the ice. His edgework and strength in the corners is something we haven't really seen here since the Hoss days.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I'm a pretty firm believer in the theory that whoever gets the best player in the trade usually wins the trade.

Now, we will have to wait to see what the 1st overall pick in 2019 is that Colorado will get because you just know that's going to happen, but for the time being, Duchene is better than Turris and Bowers and an unknown prospect, so I'm ok with the trade.

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
The one aspect of Duchesne's game that I never really noticed/appreciated is his strength in the corners and down low. He is very similar to Crosby with how he can maintain control and keep his balance while fighting off checks.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
The one aspect of Duchesne's game that I never really noticed/appreciated is his strength in the corners and down low. He is very similar to Crosby with how he can maintain control and keep his balance while fighting off checks.
Haha! I have thought the exact same thing on several occasions. His lower body strength is off the charts, even by NHL standards.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I'm a pretty firm believer in the theory that whoever gets the best player in the trade usually wins the trade.

Now, we will have to wait to see what the 1st overall pick in 2019 is that Colorado will get because you just know that's going to happen, but for the time being, Duchene is better than Turris and Bowers and an unknown prospect, so I'm ok with the trade.

I have a hard time seeing Ottawa finish last next season even if they do trade Karlsson.

Reactions: pzeeman

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
As I said at the time of the trade, as long as Duchene is only as productive as Turris we break even. What we gave up in addition to Turris basically amounts to one year's worth of Duchene (or Turris). For a while things looked bleak, but I think so far the trade has looked fair. The only (BIG) issue is the bad stretch of games we went through right after the trade, and it probably did have something to do with the trade.

Now if we do manage to re-sign Duchene to a deal similar to Turris' (a BIG if), I think we're good.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
one of the biggest weaknesses with Turris? Not strong along the boards which is what Duchene is exactly good at. Hoffman is kinda the same way he is weak when it comes to fighting for pucks in tough places but stone and Duchene bring it in spades which is what makes them a level above

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
We have a GM who's job it is to consider these things.

Not singling you out here but it seems like a lot of people forget that managing a professional sports team is a full time job (safe bet that it is way more than 37.5 hours a week!).

I am fairly certain Dorion has a plan. Is it a good one? Will it work? We'll see.

What does this have to do with either of my posts?

I don't get it. When did I accuse Dorion of not having a plan, or not thinking things through.

Maybe I am missing something, but your reply came off as being fairly condescending.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
What does this have to do with either of my posts?

I don't get it. When did I accuse Dorion of not having a plan, or not thinking things through.

Maybe I am missing something, but your reply came off as being fairly condescending.

I used your post as a spring board, that post wasn't meant as a reply, that is why I said "not singling you out" but I should have been clearer.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'd make this trade again today if given the choice. As much as I would have preferred to be able to add him to a team with Turris as 2C, we still got the best player in the deal.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

It was a fine trade: we gave up some decent assets to get a top line C. It was fair for everyone and it made a ton of sense for everyone, at the time.

Again, look at Montrelol if you want to see what happens when you never want to make the move to get that top C.

Reactions: Jorge Garcia

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I'd make this trade again today if given the choice. As much as I would have preferred to be able to add him to a team with Turris as 2C, we still got the best player in the deal.
Do you think Ziba + Bowers + 1st + 2nd + 3rd + Hammond gets us Duchene?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Do you think Ziba + Bowers + 1st + 2nd + 3rd + Hammond gets us Duchene?
Hard to say. I think probably not because i dont think Zib would be enough to overcome what they ended up getting from Nashville. Maybe if the trade were made now instead of when it was made since that 1st rounder has significantly more value now than it did at the time the trade went down.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Apparently Turris was a healthy scratch tonight... :dunno:

EDIT: I guess it's last night now.

Wouldn't read into it too much on Friday they sat a number of regulars too. A little early to be resting guys but seems like they are trying to give guys some ice to keep them fresh.

Josi, Smith, Hartnell and Weber all sat out on Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad