Dressing Sheep in Wolves Clothing (Mod Warning page 35)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Brickley's a good role player but a pretty long way from a "wolf" that they could count on over guys like Kuraly/Acciari. I mean if they need a 13th forward I guess he'd be fine, but it doesn't really address the issue here.

McKenzie isn't an NHL player at this point.
Roussel's ship sailed on this organization a while ago.
Wagner or Grant would be alright if they need some utility grit but I don't think I'd call either of them "wolves"
I believe McKenzie would be another Schaller but more physical, tougher and with a lot more of an edge to his game.

Passing on Roussel was a mistake but he is the type of player that the posters who dont want a " one dimensional" physical player want

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I think we could probably lure Alex Semin out of retirement
This guy?
16pzD.gif

I can hear Ryan reaves quaking in his boots now.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I believe McKenzie would be another Schaller but more physical, tougher and with a lot more of an edge to his game.

Passing on Roussel was a mistake but he is the type of player that the posters who dont want a " one dimensional" physical player want

Honestly Fenian what type of contract do you expect Roussell to get this summer? Because at 28-29 years old and a half decent resume, he's probably going to get a pretty decent offer from someone. Same with Ryan Reaves, someone will give him a pretty decent offer as a fairly unique commodity.

After the Belesky and Backes signings, the Bruins need to stay away from UFA bidding wars for players lacking in skill and skating ability but heavy on intangibles.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Last 2 goals..

Wilson

Reaves

Lol

Useless plugs who can’t skate.

Some people are absolutely dying inside.

I've quite enjoyed seeing their transition here from "useless plugs" who "can't skate/play" to being guys who would have been "too expensive to acquire anyway".

Can't have them on the Bruins because they suck and now we can't have them on the Bruins because they are too good. It's a shame.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I've quite enjoyed seeing their transition here from "useless plugs" who "can't skate/play" to being guys who would have been "too expensive to acquire anyway".

Can't have them on the Bruins because they suck and now we can't have them on the Bruins because they are too good. It's a shame.

I love both guys, and I’m certainly not saying you can fill a lineup with them, but there is still a place for guys whose best skills are not their legs or ability to pass and shoot.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Figured there would be a huge line in here for a crow sandwich, but nary a peep. Atleast the ryan reaves is a useless hockey player comments have stopped.

Should have been called for a crosscheck, but they let them play at times in the playoffs...nevertheless that was a tremendous roof job in a small amount of space by 75.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

When have Reaves or Wilson been portrayed here as useless plugs?

And perhaps it's time to stop the narrative that dressing a Reaves or Wilson acts as some sort of deterrent. Cause both were in the line-up last night, and Reaves presence didn't deter Wilson one little bit from laying waste to Marchesault with a late blind-side hit. Luckily Marchesault wasn't injured badly on the play, but it could of been pretty bad.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
When have Reaves or Wilson been portrayed here as useless plugs?

And perhaps it's time to stop the narrative that dressing a Reaves or Wilson acts as some sort of deterrent. Cause both were in the line-up last night, and Reaves presence didn't deter Wilson one little bit from laying waste to Marchesault with a late blind-side hit. Luckily Marchesault wasn't injured badly on the play, but it could of been pretty bad.

And if Marchessault was hurt. Reaves fighting Wilson after the fact won't make him heal any better.

Reaves got the goal, but overall saw him flub a lot of pucks. Could see him getting a Matt Martin deal and that team regretting it. Get him for under 1.3 and sure, bring him in to be the 12th/13th.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
And if Marchessault was hurt. Reaves fighting Wilson after the fact won't make him heal any better.

Reaves got the goal, but overall saw him flub a lot of pucks. Could see him getting a Matt Martin deal and that team regretting it. Get him for under 1.3 and sure, bring him in to be the 12th/13th.

I'll take Reaves on my team, no problem.

But if I'm Sweeney not a chance to I get into a bidding war for his services.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
It's true, after a three day weekend nobody has the time to own up to the strawman argument perpetuated by the regulars in this thread.

I haven't gotten the indication that many people think the things being discussed in this thread are USELESS and have NO PLACE IN HOCKEY, it's so obvious I didn't think that even that needed to be said.

Everyone seems to love Ryan Reaves in this thread but I've only seen one person actually say they would pay him. It's pretty hypocritical to try and stick Reaves in our face and then say "but I wouldn't actually pay him."

Should the Bruins have traded down from the 1st round to the 2nd to acquire him at the draft last season? No.

Should the Bruins have traded with Pittsburgh assets to acquire him at the trade deadline? Must have missed all of those trade proposals.

Should the Bruins go out and hand him a Matt Martin contract that pays $2.5M to play a on the 4th line? Doesn't seem like it.

You know who sticks out to me just as much as a guy like Ryan Reaves? Tomas Nosek. A guy with a cap hit of $612K who skates hard, hits hard and chips in when he needs to. A guy like Tanev on the Jets. Cheap guys on the right side of 25 who you don't have to overpay to bring their skillset to the team.

Could the Bruins have used a guy like Ryan Reaves on the team? Yes, and I'll be the first to admit I underrated him personally as far as his individual skill set. But he doesn't make the difference between the Bruins beating the Tampa Bay Lightning and he certainly doesn't help us score at even strength (the true reason the team lost)

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If he wants/gets anything over 1.5 million, good for him. He's earned it but it's not a good match for the Bruins at that price

I'd go anywhere between 1.5 and 2.0. That 500k ain't a deal breaker.

What is a deal breaker for me is term. 3 years or more and I'm not interested.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I'd go anywhere between 1.5 and 2.0. That 500k ain't a deal breaker.

What is a deal breaker for me is term. 3 years or more and I'm not interested.

Right, I should have mentioned that it would likely be a 3 year deal and it's not a good match for the Bruins at all. Can't blame Reaves, he's gonna get a nice deal with term but not here

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Figured there would be a huge line in here for a crow sandwich, but nary a peep. Atleast the ryan reaves is a useless hockey player comments have stopped.

Should have been called for a crosscheck, but they let them play at times in the playoffs...nevertheless that was a tremendous roof job in a small amount of space by 75.

I`m one who will require digging my crow fork outta the cupboards, honestly haven`t seen Reaves in past playoff performances do much of anything that really helped his team. Different dynamic recently for the Knights. Wilson has always been a guy with some talent, he`s just an idiot though which makes me have a hard time to pull for the guy

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It's true, after a three day weekend nobody has the time to own up to the strawman argument perpetuated by the regulars in this thread.

I haven't gotten the indication that many people think the things being discussed in this thread are USELESS and have NO PLACE IN HOCKEY, it's so obvious I didn't think that even that needed to be said.

Everyone seems to love Ryan Reaves in this thread but I've only seen one person actually say they would pay him. It's pretty hypocritical to try and stick Reaves in our face and then say "but I wouldn't actually pay him."

Should the Bruins have traded down from the 1st round to the 2nd to acquire him at the draft last season? No.

Should the Bruins have traded with Pittsburgh assets to acquire him at the trade deadline? Must have missed all of those trade proposals.

Should the Bruins go out and hand him a Matt Martin contract that pays $2.5M to play a on the 4th line? Doesn't seem like it.

You know who sticks out to me just as much as a guy like Ryan Reaves? Tomas Nosek. A guy with a cap hit of $612K who skates hard, hits hard and chips in when he needs to. A guy like Tanev on the Jets. Cheap guys on the right side of 25 who you don't have to overpay to bring their skillset to the team.

Could the Bruins have used a guy like Ryan Reaves on the team? Yes, and I'll be the first to admit I underrated him personally as far as his individual skill set. But he doesn't make the difference between the Bruins beating the Tampa Bay Lightning and he certainly doesn't help us score at even strength (the true reason the team lost)

Good post. Reaves at anything over 1 mil is over payment IMO.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

One Stanley Cup finals game isn't enough for me to eat crow and say Reaves is a good hockey player, especially given his long history of never getting more than 13 points in a season. 43 playoff games, 3 goals. For a team that needed depth scoring badly come playoff time he definitely would not help.

He did have a very good game, good for him I suppose. He's going to get massively overpaid for what he brings this offseason.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
One Stanley Cup finals game isn't enough for me to eat crow and say Reaves is a good hockey player, especially given his long history of never getting more than 13 points in a season. 43 playoff games, 3 goals. For a team that needed depth scoring badly come playoff time he definitely would not help.

He did have a very good game, good for him I suppose. He's going to get massively overpaid for what he brings this offseason.

You can say that about 90% of the UFA contracts handed out IMO.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Look at some of those salaries these guys got paid before. Awful.

The whole "reaves can't play" thing was nonsense here by the "anti-goon" patrol.

He's averaged only 8 minutes of ice time, but yet his average line per 82.gp is 5-5-10, 260 hits with a shooting percentage of 11.0

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
You can say that about 90% of the UFA contracts handed out IMO.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Look at some of those salaries these guys got paid before. Awful.

The whole "reaves can't play" thing was nonsense here by the "anti-goon" patrol.

He's averaged only 8 minutes of ice time, but yet his average line per 82.gp is 5-5-10, 260 hits with a shooting percentage of 11.0

Who said Reaves is useless? I just did a quick check and I think everyone's in agreement about his talent from what I've read on both sides of this discussion

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Goes back to when Pittsburgh acquired him. I don't think it's in this thread.

Oh ok. Thought I was missing something. Personally I've always loved the way Reaves plays, thought he was great for the Blues and it was a savvy move for the Pens to add him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad