Draft Thread Part 2: Bark to the Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
What? So does that mean he has an attitude problem? Does this mean he's not committed to the NHL?

If Drouin, Mac and Barkov are gone do you take Jones or Nichushkin? I'd prefer Nichushkin.

I'll repeat my stance that Nichushkin looks like the most dynamic player in the draft that I've seen on clips. I'm not at all against drafting him at 5.

Also worth noting...for those wringing their hands over Barkov\Nichuskin preferring to play in their home countries over the AHL-- there's almost zero chance either would need such "seasoning" on our roster. Those two are considered the most NHL ready in the draft.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Also worth noting...for those wringing their hands over Barkov\Nichuskin preferring to play in their home countries over the AHL-- there's almost zero chance either would need such "seasoning" on our roster. Those two are considered the most NHL ready in the draft.

While I agree either one would most likely make the roster, it's more the principal of the situation. I would have a sour taste in my mouth if I'm interviewing a prospect and he's telling me he won't play in my minor system.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
What? So does that mean he has an attitude problem? Does this mean he's not committed to the NHL?

If Drouin, Mac and Barkov are gone do you take Jones or Nichushkin? I'd prefer Nichushkin.

I'll repeat my stance that Nichushkin looks like the most dynamic player in the draft that I've seen on clips. I'm not at all against drafting him at 5.

I'd take Jones, pretty much the consensus BPA. To me, there's no justification for picking a lesser player just because we already have defensemen. At worst, you have franchise #1 defenseman to use as trade bait. Or maybe something goes wrong with Weber (he's a big physical defenseman who's already had multiple concussions, where have we seen that before?) or Josi doesn't progress or something, and you can plug the guy right in.

I wouldn't draft Nichushkin unless we trade down to the 6-7-8 range. I'd take him above Monahan, but below Lindholm.

I'm not all that crazy about guys who come out of nowhere and the most common attribute people say about him is stuff like "inconsistent", "ceiling", and "potential". Also, you can ignore it all you want, but the KHL is a factor.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Patric Hornqvist and Martin Erat say hi

and everyone cant luck into a Datsuyk and Zeterburg... care to name any other "low level schlubs" that "all" of the other coaches have developed that are better than Horns and Marty?

and if we are comparing coaches, babcock didn't develop those two. their young formative years were under dave lewis, were they not? So who had Babcock develpoed in Detroit? Helm? Fillpula? Franzen? Abdelkader? taken the offensive constraints off tootoo?

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
and if we are comparing coaches, babcock didn't develop those two. their young formative years were under dave lewis, were they not? So who had Babcock develpoed in Detroit? Helm? Fillpula? Franzen? Abdelkader? taken the offensive constraints off tootoo?

Has he been there 15 years? Nope. Has he won a Cup there. Yup. The young kids in the playoffs seem to fair pretty well this year.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
This is getting intense. I just want this draft to happen to we can all get along and be happy with who we draft.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
So you don't want Barkov or Nichushkin?

Barkov over Nich based on projections (published) and being a center (and yes...the Russian factor), but it is still troubling.

All of this being said, I assume scouts/Poile address their concerns during interviews, so as fans, you just have to trust, I guess.

KevFist

is best pony
Oct 22, 2006
Birmingham, AL
www.mk837.com
Let me say this, if and I say this with a gigantic IF, Jones were to fall to Nashville, you pick him unless some lets say Buffalo comes in with an insane deal. Then Poile calls the Everyone and says 'Blum and Ellis for?'

Fact is this, Poile would have to **** up in a generational level way to **** this up. I mean a Mike Milbury on LSD AND meth level **** up.

I know this is from yesterday, but I have to quote it. this may be the greatest line ever posted on HFBoards

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Question: does that insanely drugged up Mike Milbury still have access to shoes? If so, the world would be in more danger than it has seen since October of 1962.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
jones and mac will go #1 & #2 ... tampa will be the wildcard... i think they take nichushkin... which means poile will have to pick barkov or drouin.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
jones and mac will go #1 & #2 ... tampa will be the wildcard... i think they take nichushkin... which means poile will have to pick barkov or drouin.

I think this is how it will play out too. Tampa will choose Drouin or Nich. It's interesting with Colorado talking about forwards but it's probably a smokescreen to get a wetter asset if the move down.

Colorado-Mack
Flo-Jones
Tampa-Drouin/Nisch
Us-Barkov

I hope that's how it pan out, but there are loads of possibilities.

I'm actually worried about Drouin now. A shorter speedier Kane like player, often times they don't work out.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

Colorado is fishing for offers, hoping they can have their cake and eat it too. they think Fla wants Mackinnon, and they actually want jones, and by saying all this they are hoping Florida panics and offers an asset to switch places and take Mackinnon, leaving them Jones plus whatever Florida gave up

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

I think FLA is quiet trying to make a trade, NSH is quiet waiting for what comes to them.

BUT, Poile's Psych profile on the draft says he attacks at draft time.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Well we all know that DP keeps information close to the cheast. Kinda like Josi's contract. I thought it was comical that reports came out two weeks prior that Josi had signed with details that were pretty different than what the actual contract is.

I still think we will know more before draft day, and what DP does before 6-30 is going to give us an idea what he has up his sleeve. I don't think he is going to drag filling the line-up out to Aug or Sept like years of the past.

Colorado may be just plaing the other teams to gain assets for there 1st pick. I think Sacic and Roy know who there gonna draft now and could trade the pick down but I don't see them moving past 5. Roy even made the comment that they would not move past 3. Could all be drama, we will know in 10 days.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Well we all know that DP keeps information close to the cheast. Kinda like Josi's contract. I thought it was comical that reports came out two weeks prior that Josi had signed with details that were pretty different than what the actual contract is.

I still think we will know more before draft day, and what DP does before 6-30 is going to give us an idea what he has up his sleeve. I don't think he is going to drag filling the line-up out to Aug or Sept like years of the past.

Colorado may be just plaing the other teams to gain assets for there 1st pick. I think Sacic and Roy know who there gonna draft now and could trade the pick down but I don't see them moving past 5. Roy even made the comment that they would not move past 3. Could all be drama, we will know in 10 days.

as i said I dont think they will move any farther than they think Jones will fall, and their ideal situation is for Florida to pay them to switch places and have Florida take mackinnon which would "force" them to reconsider and take Jones at #2

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
WRT Barkov - he had a recent interview where he said if he's not in the NHL next year, he's going to go back to Tappara. So, similar to Nichushkin, the AHL is not going to be an option for those Euros.

Remember the post when I said NHL and SM-liiga (FEL) has a Player tranfer agreement? So now if I understand it right as Barkov has a contract to Tappara, he doesn't have a choice in the AHL matter. So when the team that drafts Barkov wants to send Barkov down, he must be sent to Tappara , but again they can call him up from Tappara as they please if I understand it right. I guess there are some other matters that affect it but I'm not sure on the details.. The posters on the prospect board should know it better.

EDIT: found a finnish article with a Barkov interview.

Moni nuori pelaaja hakee kannuksiaan Pohjois-Amerikan farmisarjoista ennen kuin NHL-ura lopulta aukeaa. Barkov vakuuttaa, ettei farmisarjassa pelaaminen ole hänelle vaihtoehto Tappara-sopimuksen takia.

- Pelaan Tapparassa, jos paikkaa NHL:stä ei tule, hän sanoo.

A lot of young players start in the AHL before their NHL-careers get going. Barkov says that playing in the AHL isn't a possibility due to his Tappara contract.

- I'll play in Tappara, if there is no place for me in the NHL

Last edited:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Remember the post when I said NHL and SM-liiga (FEL) has a Player tranfer agreement? Well I just read that when they renewed the deal, SM-liiga wanted to add a no AHL-clause on the transfer agreement and NHL agreed to it. So now as Barkov has a contract to Tappara, he doesn't have a choice in the AHL matter. So when the team that drafts Barkov wants to send Barkov down, he must be sent to Tappara , but again they can call him up from Tappara as they please if I understand it right. I guess there are some other matters that affect it but I'm not sure on the details.. The posters on the prospect board should know it better.

I'm not doubting you because I've heard similar rumors, but would you happen to have a link to this information?

I totally get why FEL would want a clause like that. It's getting increasingly difficult to get talented players into the league thanks to the KHL's constant expansion (and taking even the average FEL regulars). Some of these kids are among the best players in the league and vitally important for their teams, so it makes sense they'd like to keep them around instead of letting them play in the AHL as long as they're under contract. I suspect this kind of an agreement would affect the length of the contracts signed by the most promising prospects. Most likely they'll just start signing 1-year contracts.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Remember the post when I said NHL and SM-liiga (FEL) has a Player tranfer agreement? Well I just read that when they renewed the deal, SM-liiga wanted to add a no AHL-clause on the transfer agreement and NHL agreed to it. So now as Barkov has a contract to Tappara, he doesn't have a choice in the AHL matter. So when the team that drafts Barkov wants to send Barkov down, he must be sent to Tappara , but again they can call him up from Tappara as they please if I understand it right. I guess there are some other matters that affect it but I'm not sure on the details.. The posters on the prospect board should know it better.

Weird, poor guy could travel over the pond several times in a season. But I guess the FEL wants their boys to play there as much as possible to so they can fill seats. I doubt they send him away whoever drafts him anyways. Maybe once but even then I doubt it.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Remember the post when I said NHL and SM-liiga (FEL) has a Player tranfer agreement? So now if I understand it right as Barkov has a contract to Tappara, he doesn't have a choice in the AHL matter. So when the team that drafts Barkov wants to send Barkov down, he must be sent to Tappara , but again they can call him up from Tappara as they please if I understand it right. I guess there are some other matters that affect it but I'm not sure on the details.. The posters on the prospect board should know it better.

EDIT: found a finnish article with a Barkov interview.

A lot of young players start in the AHL before their NHL-careers get going. Barkov says that playing in the AHL isn't a possibility due to his Tappara contract.

- I'll play in Tappara, if there is no place for me in the NHL

whoa! back the truck up. By HF pred fan logic, doesn't this make him a diva? Spoiled brat? Character issues? how dare he want to play in another league and make 50k, contract or not?

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

Carolina can have him all they want. Nichuskin is Radulov 2.0 Attitude issues, laziness, no defense, and a KHL contract. If Poile drafts him he should be given his pink slip. Honestly why throw away a pick on someone who will run back to Russia after 1/2 a season. Instead of giving him a jersey just give him the keys to Trotz's doghouse.

Reposting this quote again
http://www.puckscene.com/2013/06/draft-preview-valeri-nichushkin/
In terms of weaknesses, Nichushkin reportedly has question marks in both his consistency and his durability. Future Considerations and McKeen’s Hockey both also mention that Nichushkin has a reputation as puckhog. As McKeen’s puts it, he “gets self-centered and impetuous – tries to do it all himself – and either ignores or doesn’t see passing options.” The consistency question can be tied to questions about his overall effort level – while none of the scouting services will outright declare Nichushkin “lazy”, there are questions about his level of “inspiration”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland