Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Steve, curious to hear why you think Ty Smith should be considered for the top 10, as well as, being above Joe Veleno on the list?

Only real head scratcher I have have from the list. Think Skarek will shock some people.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Smith might be the most underrated player in the 2018 Draft Class. I think he's going to be the player this year that keeps creeping up draft boards because his play is very good, and he's a safe player compared to more volatile options, while also having a pretty high ceiling. Wouldn't doubt that he could go top 5.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Steve, curious to hear why you think Ty Smith should be considered for the top 10, as well as, being above Joe Veleno on the list?

Only real head scratcher I have have from the list. Think Skarek will shock some people.

Josh hit the nail on the head. His hockey sense/maturity is off the charts for a teenager. He'll be a captain in the NHL. I see him ahead of Heiskanen at this stage a year ago, and Miro went 3rd OA. Granted it was in a weaker draft.

Curious to see what part of his game eventually gets scrutinized. I really dont see any weaknesses. His point totals might dip if Yamamoto leaves but he should be the best CHL defender in terms of draft eligibles

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Josh hit the nail on the head. His hockey sense/maturity is off the charts for a teenager. He'll be a captain in the NHL. I see him ahead of Heiskanen at this stage a year ago, and Miro went 3rd OA. Granted it was in a weaker draft.

Curious to see what part of his game eventually gets scrutinized. I really dont see any weaknesses. His point totals might dip if Yamamoto leaves but he should be the best CHL defender in terms of draft eligibles

I see what you and PB are saying, but above Joe Veleno? Not sure if I would do that at this stage.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think Smith might be the most underrated player in the 2018 Draft Class. I think he's going to be the player this year that keeps creeping up draft boards because his play is very good, and he's a safe player compared to more volatile options, while also having a pretty high ceiling. Wouldn't doubt that he could go top 5.

Ty Smith's biggest problem is that he's not flashy, he "just" plays solid defense - shift after shift.

For as far as the league has come, there's still a tendency to overlook the guys who don't put up offensive numbers or hit hard. But Smith reads the plays well, reacts well and has the mobility that teams crave on their D these days.

I've really only heard two rumblings with Smith:

1. His size/strength is average at best, with the consensus being that his vitals are a little more padded than some guys.

2. Where he projects as an NHL defenseman. His smarts and awareness could easily project to a safety valve on a top pairing, but his size/strength and concerns about having that extra little something could have him slotted lower.

But those two issues aside, he projects as a fairly safe pick. The question will be how he progresses this season, and whether a team wants to roll the dice on a guy who might have a flashier impact at the pro level.

Veleno is an interesting player heading into this season. He's essentially been used as a support player thus far in his junior career, and has done well in the role, but expectations for him were significantly higher than they would be for someone else in the role. As such, this season is going to go a long way in determining how teams project him and rank him.

The reality is that he shouldn't have been granted exceptional status, and he's never going to quite live up to that label.

Still, you have some people who still think his upside is in the Toews/Duchene neighborhood, while others project him considerably lower. Frankly, I think he could go anywhere from the top 5 to the low teens/early 20s. For me he's a bit of a wildcard.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I really hope the Rangers can get into the top 10 somehow in this draft. A lot of the players projected to go high have potential to really be special.

Dahlin, Svechnikov, Boqvist, and Hughes all have that special potential. Tkachuk will be a great player.

Drury' s kid looks like a mid round pick for us. I like how his scouting report reads. I like high IQ players, better chance at being NHL'ers.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Corey Pronman at The Athletic wrote a 2018 draft preview a few days ago

The 2018 NHL draft is arguably the strongest crop of defensemen since 2008, with four of my top five prospects being defenders. It is also light in center talent. For that reason, this draft has more risk at the top than usual, but with the caveat that the talent level is quality. I’d grade 2018 as an average draft class as of now.

https://theathletic.com//108740/201...31-prospects-for-the-2018-draft/?redirected=1

The Rangers don't need centers with Andersson and Chytil in the organization.

1-Rasmus
2-Svechnikov
3-Merkley
4-Hughes
5-Boqvist
6-Veleno
7-Tkachuk
8-Wahlstrom
9-Zadina
10-Ty Smith
11-Kupari
12-McIsaac
13-Khovanov
14-Farabee
15-Addison
16-McBain
17-Denisenko
18-Hayton
19-Woo
20-Lundestrom
21-McLeod
22-Olofsson
23-Akil Thomas
24-Anderson MacDonald
25-Zavgorodny
26-Wilde
27-Kotkaniemi
28-Benoit-Olivier Groulx
29-Ylonen
30-Oskar Back
31-Lauko

Reactions: Ori

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I really hope the Rangers can get into the top 10 somehow in this draft. A lot of the players projected to go high have potential to really be special.

Dahlin, Svechnikov, Boqvist, and Hughes all have that special potential. Tkachuk will be a great player.

Drury' s kid looks like a mid round pick for us. I like how his scouting report reads. I like high IQ players, better chance at being NHL'ers.

Drury is an average skater. No way I go higher than a 4th rounder on him but he has NHLer written all over him.

The Rangers will wind up with a very good offensive defenseman this draft. Guys like Rasmus Sandin, Ty Emberson, Christian Krygier, Danila Galenyuk and Zabransky's kid are all kids with Top-2 upside.

Wilde is getting too much grief because of the AAPG - a game where he was flying but taking risk after risk. His speed, size, shot, moves and yes smarts reveal a prospect with tremendous upside.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like Emberson, Galenyuk and Zabransky from that group of players. K'Andre Miller is another of my favorite players from this draft. He has the Brady Skjei starter-kit.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Rangers scouting staff will have a lot of eyes on Dahlin, especially with Lias heading over there, now!!

Love how K'Andre Miller has been mentioned early!! I agree with PB, think his style is similar to Skjei's!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad