Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I really hope the Rangers can get into the top 10 somehow in this draft. A lot of the players projected to go high have potential to really be special.

Dahlin, Svechnikov, Boqvist, and Hughes all have that special potential. Tkachuk will be a great player.

Drury' s kid looks like a mid round pick for us. I like how his scouting report reads. I like high IQ players, better chance at being NHL'ers.

Agreed, would love to somehow be able to trade into the top 10 and land a guy like Tkachuk

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Dahlin need to work on his fitness - so young though. :)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
When you are picking a future cornerstone piece for your franchise, I can see a GM pass on Tkachuk for a very very special player or two. But I don't think the PMDs are bumping him. Not sure Svechnikov will. Rasmus will if he continues, but that is not a guarantee.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
When you are picking a future cornerstone piece for your franchise, I can see a GM pass on Tkachuk for a very very special player or two. But I don't think the PMDs are bumping him. Not sure Svechnikov will. Rasmus will if he continues, but that is not a guarantee.

What do you think of Adam Boqvist? I don't know how much of the SHL and J20 you watch, he plays for Brynas. I have him 3rd right now behind Dahlin and Svechnikov. I can think of very few drafts where he would not be the top Swedish player. He resembles EK, and not EK when he couldn't defend, the one now that has turned himself into a very good defensive player.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
In the top #10 Draft for 2018 we should aim for that 5th Brady Tkachuk without any doubts and we need a winger who can finish plays. My second pick would be Filip Zadina who is also a LW.
I did not like the Andrei Svechnikov based on finishing RW position and #2 pick, and he would never go through 4 guys against a normal NHL defense.

Top ten draft video unofficial source though.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Wait what? Svechnikov is an absolute monster and would be the consensus 1OA if Dahlin wasn’t such a freak of nature.

Reactions: Joey Bones

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I don't see him as a C, he's too much of a hothead to play C imo. He's too aggressive, will be out of position too much as a C.
Like, Brady is much more aggressive then Matthew, he sure is Keiths son.

brians1128

Nov 1, 2016
I think the younger Tkachuk will play center.
I dont think he ends up at center, PB with a earlier post you made in the Roster build thread you mentioned your optimistic outlook of the Rangers along with the concern of the lack of potential impact players on the offense side being of concern to you. Tkachuk screams Rangers type of player as well as Kotkaniemi to me. Outside of Steve most mock drafts don't show much love for Kotkaniemi having him usually in the 20-30 range. Even Ty Dellandrea seems like he fits the Rangers mold as well. But who do you feel could become that offensive difference maker in this draft? I might be biased to getting a right handed top 6 shot but Im hoping Kupari falls after all these initial mock drafts and Im thinking Akil Thomas could be that speedy right hand shooting winger that can light the lamp as well.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Rangers have always wanted a Tkachuk.

Too bad they haven't been bad enough to have a chance to get one. I remember Sather taking several runs at Keith, and not being able to find a deal. Maybe they will have a shot at one or Matthew or Brady's kids

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I dont think he ends up at center, PB with a earlier post you made in the Roster build thread you mentioned your optimistic outlook of the Rangers along with the concern of the lack of potential impact players on the offense side being of concern to you. Tkachuk screams Rangers type of player as well as Kotkaniemi to me. Outside of Steve most mock drafts don't show much love for Kotkaniemi having him usually in the 20-30 range. Even Ty Dellandrea seems like he fits the Rangers mold as well. But who do you feel could become that offensive difference maker in this draft? I might be biased to getting a right handed top 6 shot but Im hoping Kupari falls after all these initial mock drafts and Im thinking Akil Thomas could be that speedy right hand shooting winger that can light the lamp as well.

I'm not the biggest Tkachuk fan. I know some really like him, but I think he benefits from his brother's success. Same thing that Alex Nylander benefited from. His brother outperformed his draft position, so he went higher than he should've. I just don't see such big offensive upside in Tkachuk's game. Middle six center, IMO. I don't think he has top 6 upside. I like Kotkaniemi. I can't understand why some have him so low. To me, he's one of the few two way centers in this draft with really high upside. I could see him being Barkov-lite. I like Kupari, but I think he's way more one-dimensional than Kotkaniemi.

I think the offensive difference maker (from a forward perspective in this draft) is Svechnikov. He's by far the best forward in this draft, in my opinion. If not him, I really like Jacob Olofsson's game. I think he could be a top 10 pick by June. Anderson MacDonald can flat out score goals, but there are many other questions about his game. I think the offensive difference makers from this draft besides Svechnikov are defensemen. I think this is an OFD draft more than anything.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I project Tkachuk as a wing, but power centers are notoriously difficult to project.

I also freely admit that I have a bias towards power forwards.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Haven't really dug into this draft yet but Filip Zadina has a great shot, issue is he'll also be gone in the top 10.
Not really sure who's the best shot among later picks yet.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Assat) has a pretty good shot. I saw him play 2 weeks ago and he was one of the better players on his team, dangerous on offense with some nice shots.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Kotkaniemi will probably be out of our range too though, atleast that's my guess. Lot's can happen over the season though.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Anyone know anything about Andrei Kuzmenko? Corey Pronman mentioned him in his weekly prospect notebook. Right-handed winger.

Andrei Kuzmenko, RW, free agent: For the super prospect geeks, which let’s face it is our core audience, keep an eye on Kuzmenko. The highly skilled 21-year-old winger led the MHL playoffs in scoring last spring and has been quite good for CSKA in the KHL. He’s on the NHL radar for me especially if he improves his skating.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
He was at the Hartford game on Sunday

Hartford (New York Rangers)
Alexei Bereglazov, D: There were quite a few moments during the game Bereglazov showed impressive skill. That made me take notice of him because he did not make those type of plays when I scouted him a few weeks ago in Traverse City. He showed fine intelligence defensively, but his mobility hampered him in that area at times as the 6-foot-4 defenseman is not a fantastic skater. He’s close to NHL ready, but behind Neal Pionk on the depth chart.

Neal Pionk, D: I didn’t think Pionk was incredible, but he led Hartford in ice time by my subjective count and showed reasons why he was leaned on. He moved the puck quite well, including a few seeing eye passes out of his defensive zone that stretched the opposing defense. His hockey sense and skill are very good, even if he’s small and not that quick he could be the first call up if a Rangers defenseman goes down.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
For the third year in a row my (kinda) local team is having a first year draft eligable doing some really good things in Allsvenskan.
Talking about Jacob Olofsson, was seen as a 2nd/3rd rounder last season (but started rising slowly last spring) is now looking like a potential big riser. I think he's a sure fire 1st rounder, could possibly rise all the way up to top-15.

I was sad we couldn't get a pick to draft Dahlén, i was really sad Benning stole Pettersson from us, third times a charm? Give me Olofsson to NYR :)

Here's the match winner he scored today (Jonathan Dahlén with the assist)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->