Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Quinn Hughes is awesome.

I love Hughes. Frankly, for as much as the league has changed, there is still a size bias - especially for defensemen.

If he were 5'11, 185, you'd be hearing about him even more. The biggest concern you hear with Hughes is his ability to withstand the grind - because he is very small for a defenseman.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Wherever this year ends, I still want a forward in the first round. Even if we get 1OA, I want Svechnikov. That’s not a knock on Dahlin either, I just see Svechnikov as that insane ability to do everything on offense and torment opposing defenses.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I love Hughes. Frankly, for as much as the league has changed, there is still a size bias - especially for defensemen.

If he were 5'11, 185, you'd be hearing about him even more. The biggest concern you hear with Hughes is his ability to withstand the grind - because he is very small for a defenseman.

Those may be numbers that he actually measures in at in May when the combine happens. Kids grow and hes going to have a few months of a solid lifting program at Michigan before then.

This is a crazy year for defensemen. I'd love to pick up a 2nd 1st for the sole reason that we'll probably see a really good forward drop because of this.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Wherever this year ends, I still want a forward in the first round. Even if we get 1OA, I want Svechnikov. That’s not a knock on Dahlin either, I just see Svechnikov as that insane ability to do everything on offense and torment opposing defenses.

I'm very high on Svechnikov, and think he has a shot to be a beast at the NHL level as he gets even bigger and stronger.

But Dahlin is so rare for a defenseman at his age. Everything he does is in super speed like few players are capable of. When you see him in action, you do a double take to make sure he's not three or four years older. He's be capable of playing in the NHL today, let alone a year from now.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Those may be numbers that he actually measures in at in May when the combine happens. Kids grow and hes going to have a few months of a solid lifting program at Michigan before then.

This is a crazy year for defensemen. I'd love to pick up a 2nd 1st for the sole reason that we'll probably see a really good forward drop because of this.

If this kid has anything even remotely close to a growth spurt, he's going to be a climber. Right now, even with the weights, his frame would be on the small side for a forward, to say nothing about a defenseman. It's going to be interesting to see how he does when he has a 6'2, 210 pound pro forward coming down on him. That's my only concern.

But the kid is right up there from a talent standpoint. Exciting to watch, makes smart plays, can dictate the flow of a game.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'm very high on Svechnikov, and think he has a shot to be a beast at the NHL level as he gets even bigger and stronger.

But Dahlin is so rare for a defenseman at his age. Everything he does is in super speed like few players are capable of. When you see him in action, you do a double take to make sure he's not three or four years older. He's be capable of playing in the NHL today, let alone a year from now.
Oh don’t get me wrong, Dahlin is freaking incredible. That knowledge of where plays will be four passes in the future, hands in tight spaces, and that unique ability to play with pace is something special.

Svechnikov has enticed me for almost three years now after watching him at the U18s. He’s scored at an incredible rate of every level of hockey and just dominated people. I’d obviously be thrilled with either (although I don’t think there’s any chance we can get them), but having a forward with that gamebreaking talent isn’t anything we’ve had in a while.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Oh don’t get me wrong, Dahlin is freaking incredible. That knowledge of where plays will be four passes in the future, hands in tight spaces, and that unique ability to play with pace is something special.

Svechnikov has enticed me for almost three years now after watching him at the U18s. He’s scored at an incredible rate of every level of hockey and just dominated people. I’d obviously be thrilled with either (although I don’t think there’s any chance we can get them), but having a forward with that gamebreaking talent isn’t anything we’ve had in a while.

What makes Svechnikov particularly enticing is the potential size/strength that goes with the skills. You're talking about a kid who easily plays at 6'3, 200, and possibly in the 6'4, 215-220 range. He can be an absolute beast with top-level offensive talent.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
What makes Svechnikov particularly enticing is the potential size/strength that goes with the skills. You're talking about a kid who easily plays at 6'3, 200, and possibly in the 6'4, 215-220 range. He can be an absolute beast with top-level offensive talent.
is he a malkin type player, havent done much research on him

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm always so very leery to do player comparisons unless I see an obvious reference.

Svechnikov strikes me as more of a "goal scorer" and less of an "all-around" offensive player than Malkin. I think he's going to be a bit stronger than Malkin as well.

If I was going to go out on a limb, and break my comfort zone, I see his potential impact being more in the Laine mold than the Malkin mold.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Lots of high end talent in this draft. To me, Dahlin is a guy who can alter your franchise in a way that a guy like Svechnikov might not be able to. He's going to impact the game in every zone, in every situation. While Svechnikov might wind up being one of the best goal scorers in the league, I still don't see him being as impactful as Dahlin.

Organizationally, the team lacks elite talent everywhere, so you really can't go wrong with either.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
If the Rangers are watching Frolunda for LA, there's no chance in hell they pass on Dahlin, if given the opportunity.

He's NHL ready, but might be a few seasons until he becomes one of the best.

Still, they havent drafted and developed a pure all-star NHL sniper since Amonte, and he was a later pick.

If they could pick a year to tank, it's this one.

Reactions: Ori

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Edmonton is doing pretty poorly. It would just be absolutely ridiculous if they ended up being a lottery team and ended up pulling it off to get Dahlin.

If we’re in a position to choose, Dahlin is the guy. I just can’t see them passing on him.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Svechnikov has a chance to be one of the top 10 goal scorers in the league.

Dahlin has a chance to be one of the top 3 or 4 defenseman of his generation.

That's not a slight again Svechnikov. I believe Dahlin is that good.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
It’s not really a tank. Teams do have bad years. Nashville was awful in the 2013 lockout season. They got Seth Jones. Martin Erat asked for a trade. Poile acquired Forsberg from the Capitals for Erat. Jones was flipped for Johansen. If the Rangers continue to suck, Gorton only only pull the plug on the regular season. He should suffocate it with a pillow. The Rangers have a hellacious 2nd half schedule. The Rangers suck and get a high pick in the draft. Pray they win the lottery. Acquire a #1 pick for Nash. The reverse of last season. Acquire a top prospect close to playing in the NHL or a top young roster player for Zuccarello.

Andersson,Chytil,Shestyorkin,
Rangers #1 in 18,# pick acquired for Nash and the young player acquired for Zuccarello with Zibanejad ,Buchnevich and Skjei will be the nucleus of the new Rangers when they are ready to raise the Cup again on Broadway.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Flipping Nahs, Grabner, DD, Holden should be a goal regardless of how the team is doing, but if the season gets away from them come December I'd seriously see what someone like McDonagh, Kreider can get you back.

This team really overachieved the last decade it seems and really does need to add an elite talent or two. There are a few younger guys and prospects already in the system worth staring a rebuild with, adding a few low picks in 2018 would really get things rolling.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Dahlin is 100% going first overall.

I think there’s a solid chance Svechnikov falls to us, especially with his new injury hurting his stock. I think we’ll be picking just outside the top 10.

I think Tkachuk would be an outstanding pick up if we had a coach that favored the more hitting and grinding part of the game.

Boqvist might be the best conciliation prize.. probably a top pair dman but for sure a top 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad