Doughty Hit on Carrier (UPD: Suspended One Game)

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Back on point, if Doughty gets suspended a game I can see it, it was not unlike the Cogliano shot on Kempe.

If it happens, maybe the Kings will circle the wagons, and will get their forchecking back.

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
Maroon also received a match penalty. Doughty was down the tunnel long enough to get the call, but made it back in time to QB the PP after the commercial break.

Both are hits where a player goes to make contact, the receiving player moves, and the resulting hit glances off the shoulder and impacts the head with the majority of the force.

Not saying Doughty didn't embellish the injury at all but it wasn't just a commercial break he was in the tunnel for. He had the whole 2nd intermission

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Well, if your interpretation of the rules was actually correct, NHL wouldn't have called Doughty for a hearing. So there's that...

I suppose, or they want to talk about it more, so tell me, if my interpretation of the rules was correct, and I said it was a fine and they come out with a fine...then what?

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Well thats because Giordano lines up Aho perfectly for a crushing shoulder hit and Aho tries to dangle back and around Giordano.

Thats on Aho not Giordano
I understand, but he's looking right at him, and still decides to put his shoulder through his brain. Maybe at some point you have to admit you took the wrong angle, and lay off.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Are you seriously saying this hit occurred or started in the neutral zone? If that's your argument why Carrier should have his head down, I think we are done here, that's so far from the truth it's mind boggling, hell he was hit near the faceoff dot in the offensive zone, pick your head up, that simple.
Honestly that was a brain fart and I'll own up to that. It's not what I meant even though reading back that did feel like intentional language. I was just rushing to my point.

The point, still, being that the equating of responsibility to keep your head up being even with the responsibility to not do what Doughty did is just callous and the kind of thinking that will never see the end of the way the NHL has been failing it's players in the realm of player safety.

If this happened to Doughty or Kopitar I'm sure you'd be singing the same song.

EDIT: It's just absurd to suggest that a player is as responsible as the guy that hit him. If Doughty doesn't throw that hit this doesn't happen. If we're doing a totem pole of responsibility, Doughty is comfortably above Carrier here. Doughty could've made sure his hit went through the shoulder or through the arm but he went high on the shoulder, missed the shoulder and got Carrier in the jaw. You can beat your chest all you want that if Carrier's head was up that impact wouldn't happen, but Doughty saw that Carrier wasn't looking. He knew that and didn't adjust accordingly. The onus is on him not to enact a play that carries a significant risk to injure and he didn't. That's not Carrier's fault. Is Carrier completely faultless for his own damage? No. But the weight given to "keep your head up, breh" is too high.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
I understand, but he's looking right at him, and still decides to put his shoulder through his brain. Maybe at some point you have to admit you took the wrong angle, and lay off.
WhT?

If Aho doesnt cut back to toe drag thats a textbook shoulder hit

I dont think you get how quickly at happens when its in slow mo. thats literally less than a second to react

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
I'm no fans of both teams but from what I saw yesterday. Doughty got hit hard by Tuch on the board which was very legal and I think he started whining or saying things to Tuch but for him it is normal to deliver that kind of hit. I'm pretty sure he will get nothing since Carrier continued and him being Doughty but still it could've been worse.

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
Seeing his numbers the whole way and not letting up? If the outcome was different, that couldve easily been called boarding. The league has shown there's absolutely 0 onus on the player getting hit.

Carrier isn't a saint. He was taking runs at Doughty and others the whole game.

Doughty definitely turned at the end so definitely not boarding. Definitely a risky play by Carrier though.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I'm no fans of both teams but from what I saw yesterday. Doughty got hit hard by Tuch on the board which was very legal and I think he started whining or saying things to Tuch but for him it is normal to deliver that kind of hit. I'm pretty sure he will get nothing since Carrier continued and him being Doughty but still it could've been worse.

Carrier didn't continue. He's injured day-to-day.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
WhT?

I dont think you get how quickly at happens when its in slow mo. thats literally less than a second to react
Cut back to Toe Drag? What play are you watching?

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Fair enough, but again you watch your team tonight, this is not their first rodeo, they will do the exact same thing seeing what they can get away with. Especially given they are down their top D man. That is the smart thing to do
Absolutely, but I think we all hope that they don't try to keep the lesser team in games by allowing them to break the hooking/interference rules. If a team is better, let them smoke them like the Pens did.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Carrier didn't continue. He's injured day-to-day.
Woops my bad ! I thought from seeing that video he continued didn't watch the whole game sadly. I hate living in Quebec and cheering for a team in the West which basically means late games :laugh: I guess maybe that hearing could turn into a suspension then since Carrier is hurt ?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Honestly that was a brain fart and I'll own up to that. It's not what I meant even though reading back that did feel like intentional language. I was just rushing to my point.

The point, still, being that the equating of responsibility to keep your head up being even with the responsibility to not do what Doughty did is just callous and the kind of thinking that will never see the end of the way the NHL has been failing it's players in the realm of player safety.

If this happened to Doughty or Kopitar I'm sure you'd be singing the same song.

It is though, it's absolutely equal. Call me callous, sure, but if you are that unaware of your surroundings going into the offensive zone, after you've been running everyone, in a hotly contested playoff game, you are going to get hit, you are going to get hit hard, and it won't be pretty.

Nothing about what I just said absolves Doughty of anything, he mis-timed the hit, was off angle by not very much, and he might get fined for it,

What either did are not mutually exclusive you realize that right?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The NHL might make an example by giving him a game for the hit to try and let everyone know they won't be holding back on nonsense this year.

I'm not holding my breath. But if this was some no name player hitting Doughty where all they did was pick the head, they would be getting at least a game. I hope the NHL is going to hold DD to the same standard.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Woops my bad ! I thought from seeing that video he continued didn't watch the whole game sadly. I hate living in Quebec and cheering for a team in the West which basically means late games :laugh: I guess maybe that hearing could turn into a suspension then since Carrier is hurt ?

I agree with everyone who is saying it will be a fine. Next infraction would be a suspension so maybe the fine will clean up his act through the rest of this series.

Reactions: Spilot23

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
WhT?

Yes, he deked him, are you saying that is illegal, or are you just saying there's no way Gio could have avoided what he did? I think he could have, but was not willing to let the player by.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It is though, it's absolutely equal. Call me callous, sure, but if you are that unaware of your surroundings going into the offensive zone, after you've been running everyone, in a hotly contested playoff game, you are going to get hit, you are going to get hit hard, and it won't be pretty.

Nothing about what I just said absolves Doughty of anything, he mis-timed the hit, was off angle by not very much, and he might get fined for it,

What either did are not mutually exclusive you realize that right?

In your ideal world, you may want it to be equal. In reality, it is not equal responsibility.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Yes, he deked him, are you saying that is illegal, or are you just saying there's no way Gio could have avoided what he did? I think he could have, but was not willing to let the player by.
Yeah Im saying there is no way to stop that hit. Giordano begins the action of stepping into his hit prior to Aho toe dragging The time elapsed in REAL TIME (not slow mo) equates to less than a second, close to half a second.

Thats near impossible to react to and in fact may be impossible. I help run hitting clinics so Id know a thing or two about it, it was unavoidable unfortunately

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Are we discussing the clip in the OP? Thats not even a penalty... not sure where the suspension talk is coming from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad