Doughty Hit on Carrier (UPD: Suspended One Game)

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
2 minutes at worst. No different than an unintentional high stick.

I don't think replay officials should be able to look at slow mo for determining if someone took a run at someone. Same goes for icing. If you can't tell at game speed, it's not worth calling.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
This is just absurd. Up until this point I had hope that you'd be able to have a decent, honest conversation, but this is asinine, and proves otherwise.

Good day sir, or madam.

He is extremely illogical. Don't waste your time

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
So are they going to discipline the refs that didn't even think it was a penalty?
yeah i mean, i think doughty deserved a big fine or a game for this hit but that's my biggest problem, that there's no visible accountability for officiating

be it offsides or missed penalties, it genuinely seems like it makes no difference whether they blow a call or not

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Drew's response was actually pretty eloquent for him.

He explains the way he saw it as Carrier shifting his weight off his right foot to cut back into the middle opening up at the shoulder leaving himself vulnerable. I think that's as good a defense as anything.

He also talks about how Carrier said he got his shoulder while he was there on the bench, and you can see the feed when they come back from commercial, he's tapping his own shoulder.

Still utter f***ing horse shit given the other similar incidents didn't even get a second look.

liljegren beast

Mar 28, 2018
This suspension makes 0 sense. Big Buff had a hit on Erickson Ek that was way dirtier than this hit, and he doesn't even get a talking to. Not to mention Wilson and Johansen. Where is the consistancy??

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
This suspension makes 0 sense. Big Buff had a hit on Erickson Ek that was way dirtier than this hit, and he doesn't even get a talking to. Not to mention Wilson and Johansen. Where is the consistancy??

it doesn't matter, he made contact with the head.

That's why he only got 1 game and not 3-5.

The NHL in 2018 is like this, any hit directly to the head will result in a suspension, even if the player is not injured.

You are correct about one thing, and that is consistency.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
And his head wasn't. So what's your point?

Carrier's head was clearly the main point of contact in this hit. That doesn't mean Doughty did it intentionally. And "main point of contact" is not the same as "initial point of contact"--I'm sure Doughty intended the check to be to Carrier's shoulder/side.

Unfortunately the result was Doughty's check glanced off Carrier's shoulder and ended up making significant contact to Carrier's head.

Reactions: BHD and HanSolo

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Hit definitely would deserve a game or two in the regular season. But if they are keeping the same standards from the regular season into the playoffs, they’ve gotta be more consistent.

Watching Doughty whine is fun though.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
It's a shame that players don't become concerned about the DOPS inconsistency until they specifically feel like they are victim to it.

The problem is the players can be fined for speaking out if the NHL deems it inappropriate. That's probably a main reason why it seems they are not concerned. I suspect they take to their union rep and up the chain.

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
he deserved more supervisions..

Game 3 was disgusting, kings were playing so dirty and dangerous all game long .

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
yeah i mean, i think doughty deserved a big fine or a game for this hit but that's my biggest problem, that there's no visible accountability for officiating

be it offsides or missed penalties, it genuinely seems like it makes no difference whether they blow a call or not
Yes. To see a guy get suspended but then find out there wasn’t even a penalty called initially... bizarre. Maybe a four minute or five minute penalty would have quashed this immediately. That’s what the hit was. Borderline. Instead the league office has to rule on everything. And they can’t rule: double minor. They have to either suspend or do nothing (fines are nothing).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->