Doughty Hit on Carrier (UPD: Suspended One Game)

lilphildub

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009

Will definitely be reviewed. If it wasn't the playoffs, I could see him being suspended for a couple games. What do you guys think? He definitely hits the shoulder first but the follow through is brutal. Reckless

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
If it was Carrier hitting Doughty it would be 2-3 games for certain. The league isn't going to suspend LA's best player.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
Doughty being Doughty. He gets so salty during games.

The NHL might make an example by giving him a game for the hit to try and let everyone know they won't be holding back on nonsense this year.

seamore

May 16, 2013
If it was Carrier hitting Doughty it would be 2-3 games for certain. The league isn't going to suspend LA's best player.

Well, it appears Bettman has an agenda for the Knights. Take Doughty out and they are sure to win.

Reactions: CJV123

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I think he gets a fine, I think it was a bit mistimed, wasn't malicious, not even sure I would call it reckless, it looks like it was mis-timed, or he had the angle slightly off, I don't see them sitting him a game, I do see a fine though if anything

Eh I'm gonna disagree on the malicious part. There's definitely an upward motion for a little "extra"

If the DOPS was serious about safety, this gets 1 game
My best guess is a fine and a stern talking to

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
I think he gets a fine, I think it was a bit mistimed, wasn't malicious, not even sure I would call it reckless, it looks like it was mis-timed, or he had the angle slightly off, I don't see them sitting him a game, I do see a fine though if anything
Totally agree here...a bit mis-timed. Fine should suffice. Can't imagine they will pull LA's top D out of the playoffs for that. Regular season maybe a game?

Reactions: funky

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Torres got suspended for up to 6 games for a similar, slightly cleaner (more shoulder contact) hit on Stoll back in 2013. Happened in game 1 of the series and he was suspended the rest of the series. Doughty should get at least 2 games but DoPS is garbage so he will probably only get 1

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Eh I'm gonna disagree on the malicious part. There's definitely an upward motion for a little "extra"

If the DOPS was serious about safety, this gets 1 game
My best guess is a fine and a stern talking to

Maybe we disagree on what malicious means, upward motion for extra is part of the game, that's how you are taught to hit, the power of the hit comes from your legs, not your torso

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Torres got suspended for up to 6 games for a similar, slightly cleaner (more shoulder contact) hit on Stoll back in 2013. Happened in game 1 of the series and he was suspended the rest of the series. Doughty should get at least 2 games but DoPS is garbage so he will probably only get 1

LOL Torres also had a rap sheet a mile long and clearly wasn't his first hit like that....

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Maybe we disagree on what malicious means, upward motion for extra is part of the game, that's how you are taught to hit, the power of the hit comes from your legs, not your torso

I agree that 99% of hits should have an upward motion. But I feel like that motion in this case came from his upper body vs his legs, that's what I meant about the "extra", as in it wasn't necessary.

Plus I'm not sure if they're gonna say this is an "unsuspecting player". I don't think Carrier classifies as such, but the DOPS can be weird in their determinations

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I agree that 99% of hits should have an upward motion. But I feel like that motion in this case came from his upper body vs his legs, that's what I meant about the "extra", as in it wasn't necessary.

Plus I'm not sure if they're gonna say this is an "unsuspecting player". I don't think Carrier classifies as such, but the DOPS can be weird in their determinations

Fair enough....

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
LOL Torres also had a rap sheet a mile long and clearly wasn't his first hit like that....

Not arguing there, but does Torres deserve a penalty that is up to 6x worse than Doughty for essentially the same play? At least in the Stoll/Torres example Stoll leaned waaaay forward as Torres already had him lined up.

My point is, Doughty should get at least 1-2 games given a very similar play that happened a few years ago where one player hits the head while gliding across/in front of a player to make a hit.

Edit: I also found it ironic given Kings fans at the time of the Torres play wanted him suspended for the entire playoffs and today they say "Keep your head up, should be a fine max"

Reactions: CrypTic

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Kings fans were right: someone was going to get injured with a reckless hit.

Not a chance in hell they suspend Doughty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->