Management Don Sweeney VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I'm confused on something. The Bruins stink, but people want to trade their 1st round pick in the upcoming draft? The way people are making it sound around here, that pick is a lead pipe lock to be top 5, no?

But Lou, what you are doing is using logic and deductive reasoning. That takes a back seat to emotional reaction. Get with the program buddy

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Everyone just needs to take a breather. 5 games in. Missing some key pieces to start. Just give them some time and everything will come together. Normally I'm pretty doom and gloom but honestly, hockey's back, young team, lots of talent, they will figure it out.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Everyone just needs to take a breather. 5 games in. Missing some key pieces to start. Just give them some time and everything will come together. Normally I'm pretty doom and gloom but honestly, hockey's back, young team, lots of talent, they will figure it out.

The first 20 games or so of this season is pretty much an extended training camp. It was probably unrealistic to think that with so many questions going into camp, that they would have all the answers coming out of it. Injuries to Bergeron and Backes have only made it more difficult.

The good new, it looks like Bjork, Debrusk, Heinen, Kuraly, and McAvoy are all NHL ready and will contribute this year, to what degree yet were still not certain. Pretty nice rookie crop.

Belesky and Spooner are making this roster harder to piece together. You can make a solid argument neither deserve to be in the line-up based on their play thus far vs. other players, but they have almost 7 million invested this season in both, so I can understand them wanting more time to see if they fit and if one or both can turn it around.

Problem is, margins between making or not making the playoffs is very thin in this league, Bruins probably know this better than any team.

Toronto, TB, Ottawa all look legit. Will the Bruins be too far out of it by the time if/when they finally get answers they need to their line-up questions? They lost A LOT of points in the first half last year because of inadequate back-up goaltending and still made it.

They need to real off a 8-2 or 7-3 run here sooner rather than later. And they likely won't get the boost of bringing in a new head coach mid-season like they did last year.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The first 20 games or so of this season is pretty much an extended training camp. It was probably unrealistic to think that with so many questions going into camp, that they would have all the answers coming out of it. Injuries to Bergeron and Backes have only made it more difficult.

The good new, it looks like Bjork, Debrusk, Heinen, Kuraly, and McAvoy are all NHL ready and will contribute this year, to what degree yet were still not certain. Pretty nice rookie crop.

Belesky and Spooner are making this roster harder to piece together. You can make a solid argument neither deserve to be in the line-up based on their play thus far vs. other players, but they have almost 7 million invested this season in both, so I can understand them wanting more time to see if they fit and if one or both can turn it around.

Problem is, margins between making or not making the playoffs is very thin in this league, Bruins probably know this better than any team.

Toronto, TB, Ottawa all look legit. Will the Bruins be too far out of it by the time if/when they finally get answers they need to their line-up questions? They lost A LOT of points in the first half last year because of inadequate back-up goaltending and still made it.

They need to real off a 8-2 or 7-3 run here sooner rather than later. And they likely won't get the boost of bringing in a new head coach mid-season like they did last year.

Good post, I was totally guilty of looking at their opponents over the first ten while licking my chops at the prospect of going 8-2/7-3 not taking into account for one minute that maybe the Avs improved over the summer, maybe Vegas isn`t horrific and while I understood the B`s were going with more of a youth movement, I had the Bruins bias going and just assumed the B`s would easily handle these teams.

I don`t like the start, don`t like the inconsistency, but if I`m being rational (rare for me), I can understand the inconsistency. Biggest problem right now IMO is the absence of key players like Bergy and yes, dare I say Backes, their absence just eliminates the opportunity for Butch to put the players available to him in the proper spot up and down the lineup.

The panic on the boards (not from you) is pretty much par from the course, also doesn`t help when a guy like Haggs has a headline like this from his most recent offering

http://www.nbcsports.com/boston/bruins/only-five-games-season-trouble-brewing-for-boston-bruins

Where I appreciate Stephen Harris` headline, while both articles essentially say the same thing, Harris doesn`t come out and scream like there is chaos in and around the Bruins organization

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/bruins/2017/10/harris_not_much_to_cheer_in_start_to_bruins_season

With Haggs, I can predict the night before after watching a Bruins tilt or stretch of games what his offerings will be about he`s that predictable.

This team will be fine, likely fighting for a 6-8th spot by year`s end while having a bunch of kids learn the ropes, and at the end of the day, isn`t giving the kids an opportunity exactly what so many here screamed about for the last few years ? Well, that comes with risk, it comes with inconsistency, it comes with ups and downs, careful what ya wish for (again, not directed at you)

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Good post, I was totally guilty of looking at their opponents over the first ten while licking my chops at the prospect of going 8-2/7-3 not taking into account for one minute that maybe the Avs improved over the summer, maybe Vegas isn`t horrific and while I understood the B`s were going with more of a youth movement, I had the Bruins bias going and just assumed the B`s would easily handle these teams.

I don`t like the start, don`t like the inconsistency, but if I`m being rational (rare for me), I can understand the inconsistency. Biggest problem right now IMO is the absence of key players like Bergy and yes, dare I say Backes, their absence just eliminates the opportunity for Butch to put the players available to him in the proper spot up and down the lineup.

The panic on the boards (not from you) is pretty much par from the course, also doesn`t help when a guy like Haggs has a headline like this from his most recent offering

http://www.nbcsports.com/boston/bruins/only-five-games-season-trouble-brewing-for-boston-bruins

Where I appreciate Stephen Harris` headline, while both articles essentially say the same thing, Harris doesn`t come out and scream like there is chaos in and around the Bruins organization

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/bruins/2017/10/harris_not_much_to_cheer_in_start_to_bruins_season

With Haggs, I can predict the night before after watching a Bruins tilt or stretch of games what his offerings will be about he`s that predictable.

This team will be fine, likely fighting for a 6-8th spot by year`s end while having a bunch of kids learn the ropes, and at the end of the day, isn`t giving the kids an opportunity exactly what so many here screamed about for the last few years ? Well, that comes with risk, it comes with inconsistency, it comes with ups and downs, careful what ya wish for (again, not directed at you)

Exactly, many have been begging for more ELC level players to be incorporated into the line-up, now we're getting it. I'm absolutely OK with it.

Cassidy was given a big challenge, then it got bigger when Bergeron and Backes went down. People complained that Nash was on the line with Marchand/Pasta, but if Backes isn't out, he's probably in that spot.

I'm still confident in saying this will be a better team come March than it is right now.

Reactions: Over the volcano

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The Bruins will need to start playing well sooner than later bc other teams in the east aren't going to wait around for the Bruins to figure it out. I see 11 teams right now in the East with rosters formidable to boston.

gvkmedia

20th Captain in franchise history.
Mar 2, 2002
Oshawa.
www.hollandbloorview.ca
Both ODAAT and BruinDust - you make valid points. I agree. But I also feel the time is now to exchange some of our coin for a dollar.

BruinDust, you mentioned this list of rookies: Bjork, Debrusk, Heinen, Kuraly, and McAvoy. If you had to give one up in a trade - which would you let go?
Bjork - works great with Patrice and Brad - not a chance
DeBrusk - looking like the best of the lot and playing left wing where we are in need.
McAvoy - don't even think about it
Kuraly - He is our only young center (24) on the squad with size, speed and versitility.
For me the answer is Heinen. He is going to be a good one. But we need experienced help now.

I wish trades were still made in the NHL. Seems like a thing of the past.

I would propose a trade on here but Colorado fans would jump in and say they don't need a right shot D-man and Bruins fans would say it is too much to give. I will let Sweeney figure it out. I am just trying to help here.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Both ODAAT and BruinDust - you make valid points. I agree. But I also feel the time is now to exchange some of our coin for a dollar.

BruinDust, you mentioned this list of rookies: Bjork, Debrusk, Heinen, Kuraly, and McAvoy. If you had to give one up in a trade - which would you let go?
DeBrusk - looking like the best of the lot and playing left wing where we are in need.
Kuraly - He is our only young center (24) on the squad with size, speed and versitility.
For me the answer is Heinen. He is going to be a good one. But we need experienced help now.

I would propose a trade on here but Colorado fans would jump in and say they don't need a right shot D-man and Bruins fans would say it is too much to give. I will let Sweeney figure it out. I am just trying to help here.

I'm with you, if I had to cough up a young forward off the current roster, it's Heinen (who I like but less than Debrusk or Bjork). I see a higher upside in those two guys.

I leave Kuraly out because I don't think he has a whole lot of value, he probably has more value to the Bruins given his versatility (he can play C) and the type of game he plays, than he does to other teams.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Exactly, many have been begging for more ELC level players to be incorporated into the line-up, now we're getting it. I'm absolutely OK with it.

Cassidy was given a big challenge, then it got bigger when Bergeron and Backes went down. People complained that Nash was on the line with Marchand/Pasta, but if Backes isn't out, he's probably in that spot.

I'm still confident in saying this will be a better team come March than it is right now.

Exactly, I don`t think this team will be anywhere near as inconsistent the longer the season goes along, and the return of Bergy and hopefully Backes sooner than later occurs. I know Backes doesn`t get much of anything other than hate here but what his presence does is allow Butch to place players in more suitable roster spots.

Bergy returns, my prediction is Nash done on the PP as it should be. They`ll be fine, what was there, 5 rooks in the lineup the other night vs Vegas? Now, that`s no excuse for less than focused play as there are 18 skaters and others need to step up but that`s 5 kids who are literally learning the game on the fly, not easy to do.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
If the Bs were 5-0 or 0-5 I'd say the same thing: we don't know anything yet.

Usually takes til Thanksgiving to have any idea what the team might be.

But Nash sucks and always has. That we do know.

Reactions: Strafer

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
If the Bs were 5-0 or 0-5 I'd say the same thing: we don't know anything yet.

Usually takes til Thanksgiving to have any idea what the team might be.

But Nash sucks and always has. That we do know.

He sucks in anything other than a 4th line center role. He's actually solid when he's on the 4th line.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Youngsters coming in and Veterans playing it out. Team has no identity yet. Will it be veteran driven by Bergie and Marchand and Krejci or will it start to evolve to a McAvoy, DeBrusk, Bjork, Carlo led team as the kids look to make statements.
Truth is either way and a little of both, we are right where we have been since Sweeney took over. Now it seems he is a scared GM sitting on his hands and praying the kids step up.

They are still a top pairing D MAN 1 or 2 and a 30 goal banger. Until we get these impact players, they are border line playoffs like the last three years. McAvoy is a number 1-2, Now they need another one.

Could Spooner/Krug/ and a number 1 To get us Trouba ? I dont know or what package could land that guy but if i am Sweeney i will give a LOT for that guy to pair with McAvoy.

We need one of the kid forwards to develop 30 goal level and a number 1-2 Dman added to Charlie.

Sweeney has been a C + in my opinion.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Not that it really means anything, but I was pretty bummed out they let Moore go and kept Nash. I thought Moore was way more effective as a player last season...

But that's just my opinion.

Reactions: HustleB and Strafer

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Not that it really means anything, but I was pretty bummed out they let Moore go and kept Nash. I thought Moore was way more effective as a player last season...

But that's just my opinion.

I think their decision was based on Nash already being signed through this year, and Moore not.

For what it's worth I thought Moore looked amazing the first half of the season, but really wasn't that great as it went on.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not panicking until they are atleast 2 goals down to Vancouver

Has Marchand no movement kicked in yet

Reactions: Ritmo

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I would lose 0 sleep in moving Kuraly however, I`d like to move Vatrano/Spooner before him as I love the effort Kuraly brings, seems like a kid who`s teachable. Perhaps not much more than a 4th liner who could spot in temporarily on the 3rd.

Problem with Spooner and Vatrano is I haven`t a clue what their value would be in a deal. I don`t move LB/AB/CM nor Heinen as I`m an unapologetic fan of players who play smart, quiet, 3 zone games, kind of a Julien Jr I am:)

Those I would like to see wearing a different jersey for different reasons are Nash/Spoons/Vatrano/Beleskey/Quaider at some point.

Reactions: Strafer

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Man I gotta hand it to Sweeney, the amateur scouting has been elite. If the pro decisions were even 50% as good we'd be unstoppable.

It's to the point where next year we will need a trade to fit these kids. And actually THIS is why we didn't need Backes. He's going to be made obsolete by younger cheaper talent that should be playing.

Reactions: DKH

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
People: Sweeney is terrible at making trades, and his pro scouting department is awful

Same People: Sweeney needs to make a move STAT for some NHL level talent.
Well it's fair to say his drafting has been exceptional, but I also think it is fair to say he has drafted too many kids and the Bruins should trade at least one of them for some NHL ready talent now. Even if his pro-scouting has been terrible (and it has thus far), that shouldn't preclude him from ever making a trade. I am of the opinion he needs to make at least one trade where the Bruins are the clear winner before I think of him as a good general manager. I wasn't a fan when he was signed, but his drafting has won me over; however, I can't ignore the other flaws I've seen thus far. Just one trade where the Bruins are the clear winner, I don't think it is too much.

Reactions: Era of Sanity

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Well it's fair to say his drafting has been exceptional, but I also think it is fair to say he has drafted too many kids and the Bruins should trade at least one of them for some NHL ready talent now. Even if his pro-scouting has been terrible (and it has thus far), that shouldn't preclude him from ever making a trade. I am of the opinion he needs to make at least one trade where the Bruins are the clear winner before I think of him as a good general manager. I wasn't a fan when he was signed, but his drafting has won me over; however, I can't ignore the other flaws I've seen thus far. Just one trade where the Bruins are the clear winner, I don't think it is too much.

His trade activity, pro scouting is certainly up for debate. I can't fault anyone who finds his body of work in that department lacking.

For me, while he hasn't pulled off a Horton type trade yet, I see a GM that heads up a pretty solid draft department, one which has yielded a few key contributors already....a gm who has proven masterful at re-signing his key core ingredients...a GM who was able to get McAvoy, JFK and Bjork into the system sooner rather than later..he has some flaws, and I think he is still a work in progress but I really like and support him.

I think Chiarelli was a good GM too, just different. He had a great 10-11 trade season...but there were also times he did nothing for a team that was in its window. Never replacing Kessel in 2010, not doing anything in 2012 when it was clear Horton wasn't coming back, adding a square peg in a round hole in Jagr in 2013, and not making Claude atleast play him with Krejci, and him being on the clock with one of the worst trades in Bruins history show he's had some serious warts as well.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
What I WILL say about Sweeney is that, for a guy not being gifted with top 5 lottery picks, (*coughcoughedmontontoronto*), he is in fact still making solid acquisitions through drafting.

Senyshyn hasn't panned out, so that one has me cringing, but Debrusk and Bjork are both starting to look like good choices, as well as Frederic and a bunch of others.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
What I WILL say about Sweeney is that, for a guy not being gifted with top 5 lottery picks, (*coughcoughedmontontoronto*), he is in fact still making solid acquisitions through drafting.

Senyshyn hasn't panned out, so that one has me cringing, but Debrusk and Bjork are both starting to look like good choices, as well as Frederic and a bunch of others.

I wouldn’t give up on Senyshyn yet. He has ideal NHL size/speed, just needs some seasoning. A year in PRO should do wonders for him.

I guess after Heinen comes up, gets points, and goes back down, he will be included in every trade proposal for the foreseeable future? How about the B’s keep Heinen and deal a couple guys that make more and aren’t producing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad