Management Don Sweeney VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Might as well start searching for a permanent Bergeron replacement. He hasn't played since last spring and yet we're supposed to think he's day to day? My guess is that he plays less than 50 games this year. I hate to say it, but I wouldn't be surprised if his retirement is three years away or less.

LMAO.....I could have predicted the posters who were front and center on this thread. The second the Bruins play poorly, the come out like vultures. I'm not sure if it's pathetic or hilarious. Maybe both!

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
Chiarelli would have signed Pasta for 10 years at $8.5 million/year. BTW: it's been 3 games -let's wait at least 10 before we panic.

I think Sweeney's done a solid job.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

PacificNWBruin

Apr 23, 2015
Netherlands
Only 4 players drafted after Zboril, Debrusk and Senyshyn have played 70 or more games since their draft year. Not like there were SO MANY chosen after them lighting up the NHL. 2 more years is a more then fair to judge Donny. Debrusk cracking the roster this year while the rest of the kids developing in the AHL.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Only 4 players drafted after Zboril, Debrusk and Senyshyn have played 70 or more games since their draft year. Not like there were SO MANY chosen after them lighting up the NHL. 2 more years is a more then fair to judge Donny. Debrusk cracking the roster this year while the rest of the kids developing in the AHL.
and one of them is a Bruin

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
LMAO.....I could have predicted the posters who were front and center on this thread. The second the Bruins play poorly, the come out like vultures. I'm not sure if it's pathetic or hilarious. Maybe both!

crickets had they started 3-0 I suspect, not sure if it`s either pathetic nor hilarious, I`d say...umm...predictable

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Chiarelli would have signed Pasta for 10 years at $8.5 million/year. BTW: it's been 3 games -let's wait at least 10 before we panic.

I think Sweeney's done a solid job.

I think DS has been learning on the job, had some mistakes (show me a GM who hasn`t), really like his commitment to building through the draft and the job it appears the amateur scouting has done is impressive.

I`m one who thinks this summer was one of his smartest summers since taking over, didn`t make any irrational and over priced signings, quick trades etc.....while he`s created some of his own issues, like most GM`s who inherit a team from their predecessor, he inherited some messy situations and those take time to get out from under and I think, for the most part, he`s done well.

I figured it would take 3-4 years for DS and his prospect commitment to start paying some dividends, he`s tried to do one of the most difficult things in the game to do IMO, and that`s a soft rebuild/retool, not tearing it all down but trying to rebuild, stay competitive on the fly.

Can`t say missing the playoffs is a positive but it wasn`t like they missed them by 20 pts. Not sure I could grade his job at this stage

Reactions: ORRMAN

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
I think DS has been learning on the job, had some mistakes (show me a GM who hasn`t), really like his commitment to building through the draft and the job it appears the amateur scouting has done is impressive.

I`m one who thinks this summer was one of his smartest summers since taking over, didn`t make any irrational and over priced signings, quick trades etc.....while he`s created some of his own issues, like most GM`s who inherit a team from their predecessor, he inherited some messy situations and those take time to get out from under and I think, for the most part, he`s done well.

I figured it would take 3-4 years for DS and his prospect commitment to start paying some dividends, he`s tried to do one of the most difficult things in the game to do IMO, and that`s a soft rebuild/retool, not tearing it all down but trying to rebuild, stay competitive on the fly.

Can`t say missing the playoffs is a positive but it wasn`t like they missed them by 20 pts. Not sure I could grade his job at this stage

As usual I largely agree with you, but I am willing to give him a B+/A- for his job thus far.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Welp, according to some his "job was on the line" for this game, so congrats Donny on surviving another day. The mindlessness of certain board members shocks me, even ten years after joining.

I haven't agreed with all things Don has done. Take, for example, gleefully signing Jimmy Hayes to a three year deal, not trading Loui at the deadline, and the Backes signing (I still sort of get what they were going for, but I wouldn't have done it...). But overall, I like that he is emphasizing a quicker game along with Cassidy. I like that he is stressing youth development while also working hard to get team-friendly contracts. I also believe he is learning from past mistakes, which I find honorable. He also is delivering a lot more promise prospect-wise than Chiarelli, who not only drafted but forced his awful picks like Caron into somewhat regular NHL roles.

Definitely on board with what's going on now. Not a surefire bet everything will work out, but we certainly needed some new blood in the FO and I think DS is going in the right direction.

Reactions: 00BW

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Welp, according to some his "job was on the line" for this game, so congrats Donny on surviving another day. The mindlessness of certain board members shocks me, even ten years after joining.

I haven't agreed with all things Don has done. Take, for example, gleefully signing Jimmy Hayes to a three year deal, not trading Loui at the deadline, and the Backes signing (I still sort of get what they were going for, but I wouldn't have done it...). But overall, I like that he is emphasizing a quicker game along with Cassidy. I like that he is stressing youth development while also working hard to get team-friendly contracts. I also believe he is learning from past mistakes, which I find honorable. He also is delivering a lot more promise prospect-wise than Chiarelli, who not only drafted but forced his awful picks like Caron into somewhat regular NHL roles.

Definitely on board with what's going on now. Not a surefire bet everything will work out, but we certainly needed some new blood in the FO and I think DS is going in the right direction.

That may have been a tongue in cheek comment.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Might as well start searching for a permanent Bergeron replacement. He hasn't played since last spring and yet we're supposed to think he's day to day? My guess is that he plays less than 50 games this year. I hate to say it, but I wouldn't be surprised if his retirement is three years away or less.

He's still in the books for 5 seasons so he's not retiring, they better come up with a fake LTIR

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
Sweeney I can’t give a bad grade when it comes to prospects. So far I’m encouraged with what I’ve seen from those guys. However, trades and signings have not been the best with him. I’d give him a solid C. Giving up actual picks for borderline roster players 2 years ago. Not trading Loui, not being able to find a late draft pick for Subban, the Backes signing, Belesky signing, Hamilton trade. He’s been average more or less depending on what the prospects do at this level over time.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Sweeney I can’t give a bad grade when it comes to prospects. So far I’m encouraged with what I’ve seen from those guys. However, trades and signings have not been the best with him. I’d give him a solid C. Giving up actual picks for borderline roster players 2 years ago. Not trading Loui, not being able to find a late draft pick for Subban, the Backes signing, Belesky signing, Hamilton trade. He’s been average more or less depending on what the prospects do at this level over time.

He's doing pretty well here- those two I bolded are/were good moves. Both were overpaid, but they were UFA's and that is almost always the deal with those guys. Backes signing I liked and still like- when e gets back in the lineup I think we will see why, especially with so many rookies and young players. Beleskey was a good signing at the time- I know I liked it, and his first year confirmed it. Who could know, based on that, that he would fall so far so fast? Certainly can't blame Sweeney for that. The Hayes deal sucked, and giving away picks for JML and Stemp was in retrospect did not work out well, but Stafford was a decent rental and arguably helped get us over that last playoff hump. As for not trading Loui, I seem to recall someone or several someones here with some knowledge suggested that it might not have been entirely Don's call as Loui was productive and the team was on the bubble for the playoffs. Anyway, love the diversity of reasoned opinions- I would give Sweeney a solid B and depending how the kids ultimately work out, he gets into A territory.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
He's doing pretty well here- those two I bolded are/were good moves. Both were overpaid, but they were UFA's and that is almost always the deal with those guys. Backes signing I liked and still like- when e gets back in the lineup I think we will see why, especially with so many rookies and young players. Beleskey was a good signing at the time- I know I liked it, and his first year confirmed it. Who could know, based on that, that he would fall so far so fast? Certainly can't blame Sweeney for that. The Hayes deal sucked, and giving away picks for JML and Stemp was in retrospect did not work out well, but Stafford was a decent rental and arguably helped get us over that last playoff hump. As for not trading Loui, I seem to recall someone or several someones here with some knowledge suggested that it might not have been entirely Don's call as Loui was productive and the team was on the bubble for the playoffs. Anyway, love the diversity of reasoned opinions- I would give Sweeney a solid B and depending how the kids ultimately work out, he gets into A territory.

:raises hand:

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

So when he signs guys that don't work out he can just say "well how was I supposed to know?" . That's how it works? Pretty sweet gig.

I think unfortunately for Sweeney it's a bit more results-oriented business. It's on his pro scouting team and him to make sure his signings/acquisitions will work out, and so far their combined track record is terrible. Can only get away with that for so long.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Time for Sweeney to get a top-6 W.

What could you get for Spooner+1st?

Marchand-Bergy-Pasta
DeBrusk-Krejci-Trade
Cehlarik/Heinen-Backes-Bjork

I think Spooner and a 1st probably gets a team to take Spooner for you and gets you a third round pick back. Maybe 2nd.

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Time for Sweeney to get a top-6 W.

What could you get for Spooner+1st?

Marchand-Bergy-Pasta
DeBrusk-Krejci-Trade
Cehlarik/Heinen-Backes-Bjork

It's probably too late, but Duchene for Carlo would look absolutely fine to me right now.

Carlo, Spooner, prospect (Cave?), and a 1st
for
Duchene, Bigras/Nemeth/Zadorov/Barberio, and a mid pick

Marchand-Bergeron-Backes
DeBrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak
Beleskey-Duchene-Bjork
Schaller-Kuraly-Heinen

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Miller
???-McQuaid

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Sooner had value a few years ago. He also clearly was not going to fit into the Clode system and wouldn't help the Bruins in that time frame.

So Don held onto him until he busted instead of getting any value out of him.

My problem with Sweeney's management is that following Chiarelli's demolition of a championship contender, he's just maintaining this middle of the pack position which can become a death cycle. Finish between 6-10 in the conference, lose in the first round if you're lucky, get an average draft pick, keeping you in that mediocre range.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It's probably too late, but Duchene for Carlo would look absolutely fine to me right now.

Carlo, Spooner, prospect (Cave?), and a 1st
for
Duchene, Bigras/Nemeth/Zadorov/Barberio, and a mid pick

Marchand-Bergeron-Backes
DeBrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak
Beleskey-Duchene-Bjork
Schaller-Kuraly-Heinen

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Miller
???-McQuaid

Moving Carlo for Duchene looks even worse now than it did a month ago.

Unless Duchene is a pure two-year rental, if you extend him, and then have to hand out new deals to Debrusk and Bjork in 2020, all of sudden the forward group is VERY expensive, and you're D is pretty thin.

If I had to bet, Backes and Krejci are here for the duration of their deals until summer 2021.

They have NOTHING in the system at RD, just a few marginal D prospects in Clarke, Bukac, and Berglund to fill in the gap by losing Carlo in the long-term. McQuaid is gone by then, Miller will be UFA in 2020.

The organization is set-up so that the RD will be fairly consistent the next few years, meanwhile we'll hopefully see Chara's role reduced and eventually he'll be gone, and you hope that they hit on a couple of the numerous LD prospects. I see no reason for Sweeney to mess with his set-up for a player the caliber of a Matt Duchene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->