Confirmed with Link: Don Granato Thread -- Signed to Contract Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Last week, the Rochester Americans fell behind 2-0 in the first period against Hartford in a game they would eventually win. Still, the first thing Amerks coach Seth Appert did after the game was put it on himself.

“We were terrible in the first,” Appert said. “That’s not acceptable. I have to do a better job. We’ve been a really good starting team. It’s something we’ve taken pride in. It shows guys are practicing the right way and preparing the right way. I think that’s big on coaching. Obviously, I missed something in terms of our preparation or seeing where they were at mentally to get the right mindset heading into the start of the game.”

If slow starts are a byproduct of poor preparation, Granato has some explaining to do in his end-of-season review with management and ownership. The players share some accountability, but what is a coach’s job if not to prepare a team with a game plan and motivate them to execute it? One or both of those elements is missing.

Just before the trade deadline, general manager Kevyn Adams told The Athletic he envisioned Granato coaching the Sabres next season. He said part of his reasoning was, “What I see right now out of the room as I sit in the meetings and there is absolutely great pregame plan, pre-scout plan that is going into every game.” He added later, “If I sensed we were losing that where we weren’t prepared or communicating well enough, that would be trouble.”

This seems like trouble. Just look at the way the team started the season. The Sabres played to a 73-point pace in October, November and December. They’ve shown life since Jan. 1, but even since then, they’re only playing at a 91-point pace. That’s not nearly enough to make up for how the season started.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
“If I sensed we were losing that where we weren’t prepared or communicating well enough, that would be trouble.”

I sense it Kevin. I sense it rather heavily. All season.

What is he even doing here any more?
I'm wondering that this morning. I can't go to less games than I did this year (0). I can't spend less money on the team than I did (0). I took off most of December and January from watching the games.

The next step is to return to that. Not watching hockey. That's the next and final step.

Reactions: Fearnot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
“If I sensed we were losing that where we weren’t prepared or communicating well enough, that would be trouble.”

I sense it Kevin. I sense it rather heavily. All season.

If only there was a measure we could use, some basic metric for if they are losing.

1711628227835.png

- or -

1711628281428.png

Tone deaf? More like completely deaf.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
In the first game of a must win 9 game stretch. They quit apparently giving up 5 first period goals. Thats is the team signature on the granato coaching death certificate.

Signed w a miniature putter .

If this doesn't get everyone fired to give NEW gm and new Coach a chance w a good goalie or two. , excellent D line up and a top nine that boasts at least 7 starters. Injured or not this group was NOT ready to start the season physically or mentally and not ready to be like the Bills , ready to overcome all rhe zebra screw overs the bouncing tech puck , zapping the 18 skating antennas removing free will in key momenrts.

All stats say we should have been a playoff team especially w upl maturng but They , the stats cant measure heart and will. This seems systematic in its removal from a group stepped on by nhl and pwers that be.

Remove all people ( keep them around to consult if egos permit) that can't guarantee consistent effort physicality, a real power play and pk from a very talented group of abused teddy bears that can beat anyone in the league if they choose and arent subverted by snake towers on those nights which show they can.

Psychologically returning the same staff of gm is suicide. Giving big pay days to guys that haven't proven they ca win in the fook over experimental test that is buffalo sportainment Eventually breaking all will and giving ability to avoid thr public at tee times and airports. Find some solutions even drugs to lead this group into success at their given pastime as the public has stopped caring.

Overcome all obstacles unique to buffalo sports or succumb to that black hole from tech and control determining buffalos fate.

Last edited:

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
I know they're basically eliminated at this point, but looking the other direction,at this rate, Ottawa or Montreal might catch up to them in the standings. They're really not that far behind..

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I know they're basically eliminated at this point, but looking the other direction,at this rate, Ottawa or Montreal might catch up to them in the standings. They're really not that far behind..

Shuffling a spot or two in this draft is not worth the continuation of bad habits.

Reactions: Ehran and toddkaz

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I think the issue with this is two fold:

1. The fact he hasn't even started his new contract yet
2. They are going to have to convince another coach to come here.

I think 2 is the bigger issue than 1.

Reactions: Jacob582

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

There are only 32 of these jobs. I think you overstate this point time after time hoping your view will one day be correct.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
There are only 32 of these jobs. I think you overstate this point time after time hoping your view will one day be correct.

2 is not a big issue as there's only so many jobs available

Don't get me wrong, they'll be able to find another coach. Someone will always take a NHL head coaching job.

If Rod Brind'Amour doesn't sign in Carolina, will he sign here? No. Are any of the in demand guys that have multiple interviews lined up going to choose Buffalo over a team who is going to spend to the cap every summer? No.

You aren't going to get a guy with a lot of experience or success as a head coach. The only experienced guy who would consider coming here is probably Ruff, and that is only because he likely isn't going to have a lot of options.

So if we fire Granato....his replacement is going to be a retread of retreads or a another first time head coach.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022

There is only 1 issue.

Adams hitched his wagon to Granato. He ain't getting fired.

See you all next year.

Don't get me wrong, they'll be able to find another coach. Someone will always take a NHL head coaching job.

If Rod Brind'Amour doesn't sign in Carolina, will he sign here? No. Are any of the in demand guys that have multiple interviews lined up going to choose Buffalo over a team who is going to spend to the cap every summer? No.

You aren't going to get a guy with a lot of experience or success as a head coach. The only experienced guy who would consider coming here is probably Ruff, and that is only because he likely isn't going to have a lot of options.

So if we fire Granato....his replacement is going to be a retread of retreads or a another first time head coach.
You Rod Brind'Amour's agent now? Its amazing how people can predict the future.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

RBA is supposedly close to signing in Carolina again, the only stipulation is he is waiting for them to take care of his assistants.

As for the rest, there are only 32 of these jobs. people who have had those positions before will be looking for those positions again. That’s the nature of the coaching carousel.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Gallant is only 60 years old, Berube is 58

Ruff is 64, Quinville is 65, Budreau is 69, Julien 63.

I see a lot of these names tossed around and some are getting pretty old.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I don't think finding a good coach is a problem, guys like Berube, Gallant and Evanson are available, and Buffalo's roster looks very promising on paper, lacking 2-3 decent players who are difficult to play against and who have character. The question is what Adams is going to do this summer, but a coaching change looks obvious and there are no excuses.

Gallant is only 60 years old, Berube is 58

Ruff is 64, Quinville is 65, Budreau is 69, Julien 63.

I see a lot of these names tossed around and some are getting pretty old.
Well, they are also experienced guys, not sure about Ruff (maybe in a different role), but I like the idea of Berube or Gallant, maybe Evanson.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
There is only 1 issue.

Adams hitched his wagon to Granato. He ain't getting fired.

See you all next year.

You Rod Brind'Amour's agent now? Its amazing how people can predict the future.
The kids giving up 5 is sign that a new coach staff and gm should be guven opportinity to create an actual hockey operation before selling an excellent hockey asset base we have on a talented roster

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I don't think finding a good coach is a problem, guys like Berube, Gallant and Evanson are available, and Buffalo's roster looks very promising on paper, lacking 2-3 decent players who are difficult to play against and who have character. The question is what Adams is going to do this summer, but a coaching change looks obvious and there are no excuses.

Well, they are also experienced guys, not sure about Ruff (maybe in a different role), but I like the idea of Berube or Gallant, maybe Evanson.
58-60 is not bad. Budreau is 69. Thats getting too old. I don't want a coach who will lose his train of thought mid speech :laugh:

Reactions: Fjordy

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Granato should have been gone months ago. Somehow a few fans actually believed this team was in a playoff race -- they never were. Sorry. The complaint went along, but at no point did the Sabres's playoff odds even reach 10% during the last two months. They pick stretches of the season and say look we played well last night. You don't get to throw out all your crap games, that is not how this works. This team is ridiculously bad for all the picks we have had.

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I wonder what Gallant or Laviolette (if he's not back in Washington) would do here.

Adams was on the Carolina team that won the Cup with Laviolette behind the bench...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad