Confirmed with Link: Don Granato Thread -- Signed to Contract Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
They’re going to waste another year over the money. Never, ever, ever forget what matters here. And never pretend it’s otherwise.

Reactions: Fearnot

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Tell me again about the talent on the Sabres roster -

I would argue that Toronto doesn't have those numbers because they have muckers crashing the net or a big time net front presence, they are at the top of that list because they move the puck so well , especially on the power play.

Granato has his team standing still on the PP trying to forcefeed a shot to stagnant players in the faceoff circles. Toronto moves the puck around, gets opponents chasing, them slides players to an open crease for tap ins from passes through wide open passing lanes.

sabres do not have the hockey IQ up the middle that Toronto has, and their wingers are not on the level of Marner or Nylander yet, but this group is still more talented than some teams that will make the postseason, and that is strictly on coaching.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I would argue that Toronto doesn't have those numbers because they have muckers crashing the net or a big time net front presence, they are at the top of that list because they move the puck so well , especially on the power play.

Granato has his team standing still on the PP trying to forcefeed a shot to stagnant players in the faceoff circles. Toronto moves the puck around, gets opponents chasing, them slides players to an open crease for tap ins from passes through wide open passing lanes.

sabres do not have the hockey IQ up the middle that Toronto has, and their wingers are not on the level of Marner or Nylander yet, but this group is still more talented than some teams that will make the postseason, and that is strictly on coaching.

They do what the coaching asks of them. They don't go to the net because that's not the identity he wants them to play. They are a one-and-done rush team and this reflects that. As does their terrible defense - one of the worst at odd-man rushes and breakaways all year for a 2nd straight season - and the chronic zone jumping.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
They do what the coaching asks of them. They don't go to the net because that's not the identity he wants them to play. They are a one-and-done rush team and this reflects that. As does their terrible defense - one of the worst at odd-man rushes and breakaways all year for a 2nd straight season - and the chronic zone jumping.
I agree with everything in your posts, but does that a talent issue, or a coaching issue? Do you not think this team would play a different style if Adams had gone out and hired a more competent coach after firing Krueger, assuming the roster was the same? Or do you believe the talent is the heart of the problem here?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I agree with everything in your posts, but does that a talent issue, or a coaching issue? Do you not think this team would play a different style if Adams had gone out and hired a more competent coach after firing Krueger, assuming the roster was the same? Or do you believe the talent is the heart of the problem here?

The coach asks for certain things that contribute to how they play AND there is a talent issue in what is missing. 2/3rds of their problems I would lay at the feet of Don and his Chill Bros.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Is there a source for the first claim? I don't doubt you, Chain. I'm just dumbfounded an NHL coach who I assume has watched a lot of playoff hockey would believe that controlling possession and going to the dirty areas isn't the blueprint for success in the playoffs. Avoiding physical play and relying on scoring off the rush has never once been the core of a contender's success.

There's a reason Jeannot cost so much at last year's deadline, and I can guarantee you Colorado likely preferred Mitts over any of our other centers. If I were Adams and Granato- I'd wonder long and hard why these top tier contenders are willing to pay the premium for players that are either good two way centers or rugged wingers who can play a regular shift in the top-9.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Is there a source for the first claim? I don't doubt you, Chain. I'm just dumbfounded an NHL coach who I assume has watched a lot of playoff hockey would believe that controlling possession and going to the dirty areas isn't the blueprint for success in the playoffs. Avoiding physical play and relying on scoring off the rush has never once been the core of a contender's success.

There's a reason Jeannot cost so much at last year's deadline, and I can guarantee you Colorado likely preferred Mitts over any of our other centers. If I were Adams and Granato- I'd wonder long and hard why these top tier contenders are willing to pay the premium for players that are either good two way centers or rugged wingers who can play a regular shift in the top-9.

When they ask them to find their identity, it is how they play. Listening to Granato speak, it isn’t about the lack of inside play ever. When they play well (outscore someone or get UPL saving the day), the praise is about them playing to their identity even when that play features almost no interior drive.

I would also assert that Jeannot did not cost that much. The percentage chances that late round picks turn into anything at all are minimal.

Jage

Oct 29, 2022
They’re going to waste another year over the money. Never, ever, ever forget what matters here. And never pretend it’s otherwise.

And if Granato gets the axe, are you willing to admit being wrong or will you find some another angle to take?

That question is rhetorical.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
The coach asks for certain things that contribute to how they play AND there is a talent issue in what is missing. 2/3rds of their problems I would lay at the feet of Don and his Chill Bros.
One thing that didn't sit well with me was a comment from Razor last season during an up and down stretch of games, he commented on Don and the staff, and said, (paraphrasing) "you will never meet a nicer group of guys than this entire coaching staff. They are always happy at work, joking and having fun, and always just pleasant to be around, no matter the day".

That set off series red flags for me.

Also the fact that Adams and Pegula have committed 4 million to Granato for the upcoming next two seasons, makes me ill knowing that it is probably strictly a financial issues why granato will still be around next year, and they are too dense to realize that the organization is bound to lose a lot more than 4 million in value keeping this coaching staff moving forward.

The more I think on it, the more I realize that Terry has got to sell. There is no hope under him as owner/team president. Some of these recent moves are starting to feel like the Bryden era Sens.

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023

Based on how this season is going on ice, plus how contentious the team/city relationship is right now, If this team tries to run it back with Donnie we will be in full reset mode up and down the roster/FO.

If these guys are really it, it’s imperative we reset the coaching staff at the very least.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Based on how this season is going on ice, plus how contentious the team/city relationship is right now, If this team tries to run it back with Donnie we will be in full reset mode up and down the roster/FO.

If these guys are really it, it’s imperative we reset the coaching staff at the very least.
I was told that they couldn’t take the slow, patient approach the past two offseasons because of the drought and fan backlash.

Each time Adams said, “Hold my beer.”

They should shake up the coaching staff. They don’t have to.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
20240330_233621.jpg

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

His PP is an abomination. It has scored 33 goals all year and given up 9 shorties. It is not a fluke. It has problems gaining possession, and even when they have it, the PP is static with very few chances. Even an average PP, and we are in the playoff picture. Special teams is where you coach. Granato will be back, and expect more of the same. The PP was not great in back half of 2022-23. The Tage one-timer is something everyone looks for now.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I was told that they couldn’t take the slow, patient approach the past two offseasons because of the drought and fan backlash.

Each time Adams said, “Hold my beer.”

They should shake up the coaching staff. They don’t have to.
I was mocked two offseasons ago for stating a real concern at the inaction and Adams’ statements that lacked any logic whatsoever. I was told last off-season was when he’d make his moves.

Here we are. After another waste of an off-season, season, and heading into damage control for keeping the status quo again. I’ve been ready to move on from Adams since year two. And I have been abused for it. But I was right. I hope those people really enjoy year 5. It’s for them. They deserve it.

Reactions: Fearnot

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Granato has coached the Sabres for 267 games and has a .491 winning percentage.

Dan Bylsma coached the Sabres for 164 games and had a .485 winning percentage.

So, essentially the same numbers but Bylsma only got 2 years.

How can you justify giving Granato another season ESPECIALLY after what has happened this year?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

How can you justify giving Granato another season ESPECIALLY after what has happened this year?

Abysmal was sacked in no small part because the players, particularly Eichel, told ownership they wouldn't play for him. It seems the current group all like Don so that sort of demand hasn't been made.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008

Because Granato overachieved with his roster every year except this one. I think it’s probably time to move on but let’s not act like nearly everybody had the Sabres finishing last or close to it in 21-22 and 22-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad