Confirmed with Link: Don Granato Thread -- Signed to Contract Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
I think he’s the right answer short-term. I think he can develop our u25 talent better than the other options. Then in a few years bring in a coach with playoff success if Don can’t get the team to be a threat in the post season

Reactions: Team Cozens

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I'll never understand why they go so many years, but Don earned a chance.

Coaches rarely get 1 year prove it deals. 3 years is standard.

I don't really care at this point. The roster moves will make or break this team unless granato is literally Ralph 2.0

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
SABRES NAME DON GRANATO HEAD COACH

SABRES-NAME-DON-GRANATO-HEAD-COACH-1.jpg

SABRES-NAME-DON-GRANATO-HEAD-COACH2.jpg

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Meh another new coach. We've done that a few times already. Wanted to try a proven coach. Dan Byslma almost got this team to the playoffs with a pathetic roster. He's likely fired before this contract expires. Hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Three years?!? I'd be ok with giving him another tank year...

Why do we put a ring on the finger on every single coach? And not a stanley cup ring mind you.

edit: This also explains the long time it took, they wanted to give the appearance of a real search.

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
He got a mediocre stretch of hockey that only looked good juxtaposed next to a long stretch of all time awful hockey.

Given the quality, established coaches that were available, it’s a dumb hire. Dumb hire by a dumb organization.

The only saving grace is his willingness to play youth and sit vets, but I’d be willing to bet that goes out the window once he’s coaching outside of a lame duck window.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Granato is a solid, no flair hockey coach. It won't be the "name" that fans want. But I bet NHL insiders are cheering for him, because they know he's a good coach.

He won a Kelly Cup in the ECHL as a head coach, Pieri Award as the most outstanding coach in the AHL, won in the USHL, coached for Team USA in big international tournaments, and has been an assistant for multiple clubs. What he got out of the Sabres roster at the end of the year was impressive. He's paid his dues.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
“Permenant Head Coach” Must be a never be fired clause in his contract.:laugh:

If we are going to call a spade a spade: the team and organization was a dumpster fire. He stepped into a horrible position and got the young players to believe and play much better with a bare bones lineup. If he can help the Mitts and Cozens and Dahlins to progress and develop then it was a good hire. He wants to be here and the players play for him. I’ll take it.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
He got a mediocre stretch of hockey that only looked good juxtaposed next to a long stretch of all time awful hockey.

Given the quality, established coaches that were available, it’s a dumb hire. Dumb hire by a dumb organization.

The only saving grace is his willingness to play youth and sit vets, but I’d be willing to bet that goes out the window once he’s coaching outside of a lame duck window.
A mediocre stretch out of an AHL lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad