Confirmed with Link: Don Granato Thread -- Signed to Contract Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
For me, Ralph's key failing was neutering his blueline. It was a directive - and he would cut ice time if they violated it - to not attack, not pinch, not leave the blueline. AND he had his defensemen playing really wide which tended to open up the most dangerous part of the ice (the middle) rather than denying it. Considering the team had assembled a group of PMD's, including a couple of guys best used as rovers in early Dahlin and Montour to completely hobble what they are good at was shocking. That's not something I see Granato doing.

Granato's defense tend to be pretty active and if anything, his forwards blowing the zone early is way more akin to what they were doing when Abysmal was their HC. Think back to the times when there are graphics of Risto, under forechecking pressure as the only skater in frame in his own zone because he was supposed to get the puck up the ice cleanly to all of the forwards. He wasn't able to because it's hard to do at the NHL level. And instead of bringing people back deeper, it was stretch-pass city. I see way too much of that out of the current Granato group as the forwards are constantly cheating for offense. The wingers don't have to come back deep and there are clearly times when they rotate who is supposed to be the defending forward when who is the hot player in that situation is confused. Two guys come back or no one comes back.

Krueger wanted to grind and chip and chase from what I remember of his offensive plan and he wanted the forwards to do that without blueline support. I'm not sure what pre-Red Kelly hockey coaching guide he got that from but it is not NHL in it's origins. Granato is much more about pressing the attack and moving the puck. What seems to have broken down is that the important area to take shots from, the "home plate" area that Marty will show in intermissions, is somewhere the players are passing or moving away from. Is that the players? Is that the coaches being unable to get through to the players to do that? I think it's a bit of both. It drives me nuts because it's another lack of basic hockey.

Rolston's teams looked like the most unprepared team until Housley took over. I didn't think anyone could have a team that under-prepared again and now we see this team not disorganized but sleeping through the opening frame over and over. I've heard players talk about how Housley's teams had something in excess of 60 breakouts for the players to memorize. And if one guy went to the wrong spot? Transition ended. I'm not seeing that exactly, but I do see blueline hanging and a lack of commitment to be on the right side of the puck. And there are people who will say that being on the right side of the puck does inhibit scoring somehow. I would point out that Tampa is on the right side of the puck. Florida is on the right side of the puck. The Colorado Avalanche are playing on the right side of the puck. It can be done, but hey, it requires WORK and perhaps discomfort or even PAIN to make the right play and this team is not held to that standard.

Don's gotten results out of a bunch of guys who were crushed in their development, including one they just traded. But they don't need that now, they need to bring out things that are missing and still missing and that is going to require someone who DEMANDS they play the right way and enough players willing to do so to pull the rest into that stylistically.
Thanks for the great summary! Makes a lot of sense. Makes me think that Ruff probably isn't the guy for this team. What about Woodcroft?

I definitely have noted before around here that they look like they're being coached by Bylsma at times, but even Byslma had them clicking on the PP, it looked less chaotic.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Thanks for the great summary! Makes a lot of sense. Makes me think that Ruff probably isn't the guy for this team. What about Woodcroft?

I definitely have noted before around here that they look like they're being coached by Bylsma at times, but even Byslma had them clicking on the PP, it looked less chaotic.

It's a bit scattered - I was going off memory and I admit that I took most of Krueger's final year off from the team.

I'm sure some of the guys who have coaching cards have better input on how they set up forecheck and such. I sort of skipped that Granato encourages his defensemen to pinch and they can hang out low which was completely verboten under Ralph. Now when some of them do it, we know bad things are likely to happen - Bryson, Joki - and I don't think the forwards are situationally aware enough to cover for those guys which is why they give up so many odd-man rushes. A defenseman gets aggressive, there is no one back to cover. And there are also the points when they funnel pucks to the middle of the ice high in the attack zone, resulting in easy clears that have many (most) trapped below the dots that drives me nuts.

I suppose I'm more archaic, but reversing the puck to below the goal line and setting up a triangle forecheck is not a bad thing to me. And it seems like a very bad thing to how this team is currently asked to play.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Watching Byram navigate that powerplay…going from spot to spot dumbfounded at how no one knows what to do…it’s beautiful.

If Mitts was sweating at morning skate…Bo is going to have a lot of energy and even more questions after practice

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Didn't expect Dahlin and Byram to be a pairing. Definitely didn't expect both to be on PP1. Nobody does that anymore.

They're both winning moves so far.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Didn't expect Dahlin and Byram to be a pairing. Definitely didn't expect both to be on PP1. Nobody does that anymore.

I think of the powerplay as the best combination if skills.
Byram clearly has the teams best left shot one timer. Dahlin is our best playmaker.

Last year in the SHL I wanted HV71 to go with 3 d in PP1.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

How come he hasn't tried this?? :

Play three D at even strength. For example Power, Jokiharju and Bryson. Power and Bryson alternative back and forth during play in rushing the offensive zone and playing defense.

:yo:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
How come he hasn't tried this?? :

Play three D at even strength. For example Power, Jokiharju and Bryson. Power and Bryson alternative back and forth during play in rushing the offensive zone and playing defense.

:yo:
Part of the advantage of dmen like Dahlin/Lord Byrumium is that there the second wave of attack and reading the play from a different vantage point. Making one of them a forward changes that dynamic and takes away whats helping them be effective.

Last edited:

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Part of the advantage of dmen like Dahlin/Byrum is that there the second wave of attack and reading the play from a different vantage point. Making one of them a forward changes that dynamic and takes away whats helping them be effective.
please for the love of god start spelling his name right jj

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
This guy is still a bad hockey coach

I don't know why he loves to start every power play with unit 2 if Tage has been on the ice anytime in the last 5 minutes, but that decision single-handedly gave Detroit the first momentum they've felt in 8 games. It made their arena the loudest it's been since February. His team completely lost their handle on this game. The thought of a regrouping timeout, of course, will never enter his brain

Reactions: sabremike

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
This guy is still a bad hockey coach

I don't know why he loves to start every power play with unit 2 if Tage has been on the ice anytime in the last 5 minutes, but that decision single-handedly gave Detroit the first momentum they've felt in 8 games. It made their arena the loudest it's been since February. His team completely lost their handle on this game. The thought of a regrouping timeout, of course, will never enter his brain
If our vile and stupid owner actually gave a shit and really wanted to make the playoffs he'd OK Kevyn sacking Donny and come to terms with any of the half dozen guys out their who'd 100% get the job done and are just waiting for the phone to ring. Unfortunately all he cares about right now is funding the throwball stadium.

Reactions: GellMann

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
If our vile and stupid owner actually gave a shit and really wanted to make the playoffs he'd OK Kevyn sacking Donny and come to terms with any of the half dozen guys out their who'd 100% get the job done and are just waiting for the phone to ring. Unfortunately all he cares about right now is funding the throwball stadium.
These guys see their team show an occasional flash while otherwise being overwhelmed with the task of being a "decent" NHL team and believe that flash is evidence they don't have to do much of anything except wait, while every other team in the NHL, even the bad ones, can show the same flashes and bright spots and spend huge amounts of time and assets trying to improve their team every second of every day

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
One big red flag that at some point has got to raise some questions is:

Granato has been coaching for a long time, and has coached on a lot of different staffs on a lot of different teams, and since 1999-2000, no team he has been a part of coaching has played even one single playoff game.

In the sport of hockey, where half the teams make the post season in most leagues, missing playoffs since the 90s, is stunningly difficult to do.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I'm going to continue being positive to end the year (though, I can't promise I'll keep that momentum going if they keep getting their shit pushed in):

If the team continues to implode rather than making a heroic run to 9th place like they did last year, then maybe Adams will see the light and fire Granato.

I'm a bit over the "let's root for wins so the young players have experience playing in meaningful games to end the year" like I felt last year and more in the "I'm rooting for whatever gets this coaching staff completely nuked".

MeenOlViks

May 25, 2015
Don Granato has single-handedly destroyed Dylan Cozens. I fully expect Cozens to play himself off this team and explode somewhere else.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
The idea of playing a style that gave the young players some confidence sounds good in a vacuum. But playing balls out dumb hockey last season stunted the perception some of these guys have of themselves (like Cozens). Turns out the whole idea of inflating confidence via pond hockey doesn't set young players up for future success. Granato should have been teaching them how to be defensively responsible from the outset, and then how offense is generated from that defensive effort. This entire season has been about fighting against that warped mindset and going back to basics. I fear that last season also warped the opinions of the front office about who is/was more valuable to the team, and now they screwed up as a result.

This organization just can't get out of it's own way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad