Confirmed with Link: Don Granato Thread -- Signed to Contract Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Thanks for the great summary! Makes a lot of sense. Makes me think that Ruff probably isn't the guy for this team. What about Woodcroft?

I definitely have noted before around here that they look like they're being coached by Bylsma at times, but even Byslma had them clicking on the PP, it looked less chaotic.
I feel like good coaches kinda have to have a bit of an ego. There has to be a couple out there that think "I can turn this mess around because i am better than these other guys and I will prove it"

Not saying we can get our pick of the litter, but i don't buy that nobody good at all would come here.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I'm going to continue being positive to end the year (though, I can't promise I'll keep that momentum going if they keep getting their shit pushed in):

If the team continues to implode rather than making a heroic run to 9th place like they did last year, then maybe Adams will see the light and fire Granato.

I'm a bit over the "let's root for wins so the young players have experience playing in meaningful games to end the year" like I felt last year and more in the "I'm rooting for whatever gets this coaching staff completely nuked".
That's where I've been at since like November. I've been hoping the team would stink up the joint bad enough to force Pegula to make some drastic changes.

But a heroic run to like 10th and 83 points will in all likelihood be deemed acceptable because of injuries and growing pains. And we'll more or less run it back again next season with only some minor tinkering at the margins.

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023
The tough part is that I don’t think anybody in the building knows what they’re doing.

- Mitts has made two comments about how much harder/faster Colorado practices.
- Adams said that what the coaches are coaching is correct and their film review is good.
-Tuch said that if you watch their games there is a lot of effort.

It’s all wild. At its simplest this team hasn’t changed the PP in 18 months and I’m not sure they have any idea how to beat a team with any physicality or heavy forecheck.

Anybody watching regular Sabres games can see these guys not fighting for pucks and hesitant to go into the corners. What the hell is Tuch, Granato, and Adams seeing on film that says everything is so great?

But everybody internally says it’s all fine?

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The tough part is that I don’t think anybody in the building knows what they’re doing.

- Adams said that what the coaches are coaching is correct and their film review is good.

It’s all wild. At its simplest this team hasn’t changed the PP in 18 months and I’m not sure they have any idea how to beat a team with any physicality or heavy forecheck.

Anybody watching regular Sabres games can see these guys not fighting for pucks and hesitant to go into the corners. What the hell is Tuch, Granato, and Adams seeing on film that says everything is so great?

You are literally describing the Eichel/Bylsma years. It hasn’t changed in five years and I wouldn’t expect it to change in another five years.

Well, I guess they at least had a power-play going for short period of time back then

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
What a dick Granato is

Granato has zero understanding on how to handle goalies. You never leave a goalie in the game if it isn't close and they have given up 6.

He has done it several times the past two seasons, and it is the ultimate betrayal and insult to your netminder. Just another bush league move by a clueless minor league coach.

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023
Granato has zero understanding on how to handle goalies. You never leave a goalie in the game if it isn't close and they have given up 6.

He has done it several times the past two seasons, and it is the ultimate betrayal and insult to your netminder. Just another bush league move by a clueless minor league coach.

Since January they have played UPL at a 67 game pace. You’d have to go back to the 2016-17 season to find a goalie who played more than 67 games. There’s been 3 goalies since who have play exactly 67 games.

Big time college (olympic) sports teams have a tendency to be meat grinders. They get a bunch of kids, throw huge amount of volume at them, and those that survive make the varsity. These coaches preach “development”. But international coaches get frustrated with it because when these kids leave with Olympic aspirations they are woefully underprepared in actual skill, they burnt out, and even though they were great college athletes, their development timeline stunted their growth.

After watching UPL get abused, Levi in and out from NHL starter to AHL starter, "The KId Line", I am not sure there is a developmental process in Buffalo other than hold on, survive, and hopefully the kids don't break.

Reactions: Irie

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006

You would think every NHL coach would have seen the clip of Patrick Roy rage quitting after being left hung out to dry.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

Every side thinks everyone is doing fine because not one of them knows what winning is at the job they do. Not management. Not coaching. Not the players. Not one of them has any success leading their department at this level. No one has a background to lean on and say this is how we work…this is how we succeed. Everyone thinks everything is fine because there is no pressure on anyone. Because there is no standard. Because there are no expectations.

This will not change as long as Pegula refuses to hire anyone who has any ideas that challenge his own. That efficient, cheap and small is the only way.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Every side thinks everyone is doing fine because not one of them knows what winning is at the job they do. Not management. Not coaching. Not the players. Not one of them has any success leading their department at this level. No one has a background to lean on and say this is how we work…this is how we succeed. Everyone thinks everything is fine because there is no pressure on anyone. Because there is no standard. Because there are no expectations.

This will not change as long as Pegula refuses to hire anyone who has any ideas that challenge his own. That efficient, cheap and small is the only way.
Tuch has no excuse. He was with Vegas. As much as I dislike them, Vegas knows how to win.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Any coach worth his salt needs to believe the gm has his back. If he identifies a player who simply won't buy in, or needs to be moved for a player who brings the kind of game that fits the system that the coach wants to play. Adams dictates personnel. With his moves as exemplified by moving Sam, Mitts Eichel and not going out and addressing holes. Granato simply tries to make lemonade out of lemons. If he benched Thompson as he should or Skinner or Dahlin he would be sent a text to get them back in the lineup asap. No good coach will work for Adams unless it is their only option to get back to the NHL allah Q, or by court order.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
He was in such a big part of the leadership there that they *checks notes* traded him away while building a winning organization
Well I can't respond gracefully because Buffalo supposedly "won" the Eichel trade to Vegas. :sarcasm:

Vegas has the Cup. We got Tuch (and Krebs....).

None the less, Tuch was part of a winning organization at one time so he shouldn't be spinning such BS about how well this one is being run.....

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Any coach worth his salt needs to believe the gm has his back. If he identifies a player who simply won't buy in, or needs to be moved for a player who brings the kind of game that fits the system that the coach wants to play. Adams dictates personnel. With his moves as exemplified by moving Sam, Mitts Eichel and not going out and addressing holes. Granato simply tries to make lemonade out of lemons. If he benched Thompson as he should or Skinner or Dahlin he would be sent a text to get them back in the lineup asap. No good coach will work for Adams unless it is their only option to get back to the NHL allah Q, or by court order.
I don't want to defend Kevyn From Accounting but moving Sam and Jack were two things he had absolutely no choice but to do.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I don't want to defend Kevyn From Accounting but moving Sam and Jack were two things he had absolutely no choice but to do.
Yes and no. At some point Adams could have signed Reinhart but yes Eichel was out the door. That being said this clown organization put those two players in that position it wasn't always like that.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Yes and no. At some point Adams could have signed Reinhart but yes Eichel was out the door. That being said this clown organization put those two players in that position it wasn't always like that.
Sam had zero intention of staying here knowing Jack was leaving and that yet another rebuild was beginning.

dugman

Mar 21, 2008
Interesting that in the past few days, here have been quotes about both Okposo and Mittelstadt needing to adjust to the faster pace of practice with their new teams.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Sam had zero intention of staying here knowing Jack was leaving and that yet another rebuild was beginning.

Adams refused to give him a long term contract. Then he wanted out. "Thats not always available", Sam Reinhart in regards to a long term contract. Adams f***ed us over on Reinhart. Thats not lips service. Thats letting it slip that Buffalo never even offered him a contract. Clown Organization.
1711294739741.png

1711294826859.png

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York

Pretty sure the Florida coach also said KO is having his minute reduced and needs more work in practice until they can catch him up to the pace his new team wants things done at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad