Does William Nylander score 30 goals next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Nice bump. Leafs fans trying to deflect when they spent all summer pumping their overrated players LOL
There's nothing to deflect. The Leafs as of now have all but locked up a playoff spot and are threatening to be 10 games over 500 tonight. Speaking of over rated how are the Flames and their "best defense in the NHL" doing?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He’s gotten hampered by some horrendous puck luck during part of the fall - which isn’t something anyone could have nor should have predicted, and so it’s pretty odd to see some folks in here “bragging” about that....

Anyways, his point production is heating up, and like last season I expect his second half of the season to be his strongest play.&

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's rather astonishing that absolutely no one from the Leafs fan base was even willing to consider the possibility of Nylander not improving this year on his rookie season performance, production wise.

Before the season began, I said multiple times that there was a concrete possibility of at least one, if not two, of the three rookies seeing lower points totals (the only one that I couldn't see having less points of the three was Matthews). General scorn ensued because it was "too much talent" for them not to all improve on their rookie season totals, I was told in unison.

It's only barely over half a season, but so far 2 out of the 3 are on pace for lower totals. Even more significant if one considers that production is way up this year (an incredible amount of players are ppg or more).
Still lots of time to ramp up production, but all those Leafs fans ridiculing posters disagreeing with the certainty that Nylander and Marner would see even higher totals, should take a humble pill.

There was literally nothing tangible you could point to that suggested any sort of regression from Nylander or any of the Leafs blue chip. Sophomore slumps happen on occasion but shouldn’t be expected. Nylander has expedited som rotten puck luck during the first part of this year, nothing more.

You’re just patting yourself on the back for making a lucky guess.

Edit: grammar

Last edited:
Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Won't hit 30 this season obviously.

That was a sick snipe tonight. I'll predict 20 or more from him provided he stays healthy.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
You know a player is overrated when people get mad at you for predicting a 57 point sophomore season. Like that’s first line production, what’s the problem?

He's on pace for 58 points and is looking dangerous lately.

If your prediction was 57, you will be disappointed if he doesn't get hurt/suspended.

Last edited:

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
It's rather astonishing that absolutely no one from the Leafs fan base was even willing to consider the possibility of Nylander not improving this year on his rookie season performance, production wise.

Before the season began, I said multiple times that there was a concrete possibility of at least one, if not two, of the three rookies seeing lower points totals (the only one that I couldn't see having less points of the three was Matthews). General scorn ensued because it was "too much talent" for them not to all improve on their rookie season totals, I was told in unison.

It's only barely over half a season, but so far 2 out of the 3 are on pace for lower totals. Even more significant if one considers that production is way up this year (an incredible amount of players are ppg or more).
Still lots of time to ramp up production, but all those Leafs fans ridiculing posters disagreeing with the certainty that Nylander and Marner would see even higher totals, should take a humble pill.

I did the exact same thing. I said that statistically speaking it's likely that at least one of the three has lower sophomore totals. I was attacked by several guys making fun of me how I don't understand hockey.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Nice bump. Leafs fans trying to deflect when they spent all summer pumping their overrated players LOL

Typical. Remember when nobody on the Flames deserved to be in the same convo as Matthews? Nylander was better than Gaudreau? Matthews isn't even PPG and the other 2 are on pace for lower than last year :laugh: They also thought there was no way their players could regress in scoring.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Nope all the leafs fans didn't think there was even a chance at regressing, and then they went up to pump up their players "pace" at the 12 game mark. Matthews is playing selke defense at 100pt pace!!!

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
There was literally nothing tangible you could point to that suggested any sort of regression from Nylander or any of the Leafs blue chip. Sophomore slumps happen on occasion but shouldn’t be expected. Nylander has expedited som rotten puck luck during the first part of this year, nothing more.

You’re just patting yourself on the back for making a lucky guess.

Edit: grammar

Not exactly true.

I said MULTIPLE TIMES that it was more likely than not (= not guaranteed, but better chance of happening than not) for at least one, maybe two of the three rookies to see lower points, because their rookie season was THAT high (60+ points for a rookie is no joke) and therefore I thought it was the safest bet to see a lower production for at least one of the three, if not two.
As of NOW, Nylander 0.70 ppg vs 0.75 last season... Marner 0.68 ppg vs 0.79 last season = confirmed. Furthermore, if one takes into account the kind of year the NHL is seeing (points production way up), it's even more so.

I also pointed out to the crowd that was predicting 70+ points for Nylander (and Marner) of which you see many in this very thread, that predicting 70+ points for all them rookies was probably wishful thinking, seeing that in 16-17 there 19 70+ points player, so roughly 0.61 per team, never mind 3. That was enough for an immediate "Leafs hater" moniker, of course, because trying to gauge what is more likely than not means hating something / someone.

So, as you see, it's not exactly out of thin air (and even if it was, what's the problem? A win is a win is a win).

I did the exact same thing. I said that statistically speaking it's likely that at least one of the three has lower sophomore totals. I was attacked by several guys making fun of me how I don't understand hockey.

Exactly. The bolded phrase brings me back to those conversations.

Feeling a bit of vindication after tar & feathers does feel good to me. I bet it does to you too. :)

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Some of these aged quite well.. LOL

You’re clearly reaching to find anything to hate on the Leafs at this point. While it’s very unlikely to happen, there’s almost half a season left still, so who knows. Nylander wouldn’t be the first player to have a really hot second half and score 18 goals (to reach my prediction of 27).

Sorry about Leaf fans invading your beloved’s thread(s) though. I’m sure McDavid feels very secure knowing he has someone like you protecting his honour on HF.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Not exactly true.

I said MULTIPLE TIMES that it was more likely than not (= not guaranteed, but better chance of happening than not) for at least one, maybe two of the three rookies to see lower points, because their rookie season was THAT high (60+ points for a rookie is no joke) and therefore I thought it was the safest bet to see a lower production for at least one of the three, if not two.
As of NOW, Nylander 0.70 ppg vs 0.75 last season... Marner 0.68 ppg vs 0.79 last season = confirmed. Furthermore, if one takes into account the kind of year the NHL is seeing (points production way up), it's even more so.

I also pointed out to the crowd that was predicting 70+ points for Nylander (and Marner) of which you see many in this very thread, that predicting 70+ points for all them rookies was probably wishful thinking, seeing that in 16-17 there 19 70+ points player, so roughly 0.61 per team, never mind 3. That was enough for an immediate "Leafs hater" moniker, of course, because trying to gauge what is more likely than not means hating something / someone.

So, as you see, it's not exactly out of thin air (and even if it was, what's the problem? A win is a win is a win).

A stopped clock is right twice a day.

People call you a Leafs hater because you turn up in a bunch of threads about the Leafs and gloat about how our young players are doing badly. Congratulations on predicting that some of our guys might slump, and right you are, Marner and Nylander have slumped. They slumped in November and now at the halfway point you're clearly so, so right in your predictions, they're on pace to undershoot their point totals by three or four points! The part about their actual talent still being elite is apparently beside the point. Never mind that they each have 10 points in their last 10 games. Never mind that their shooting numbers have been unsustainably low. You're turning up to gloat about how you were right about our guys getting a few less points, when you have admitted that was based on nothing to do with the players themselves. You've thrown poop at the wall and are proud that some of it is sticking.

If I turned up in every Boston Bruins thread and started banging a drum about how probably two out of three of Pastrnak, McAvoy, and Heinen were going to regress next year and backed it up with no facts, evidence, or anything other than "lots of guys regress", I'd bet that Bruins fans would get pretty sick of my shtick. If they did regress (because I got lucky) and I made sure to rub their faces in it at every opportunity you'd probably write a similar post to what I'm writing now. You get called a "hater" because you make negative assumptions and make zero attempts at analysis, context, or justifications for why the results may be the way they are. Extend some of the courtesies to the Leafs players that you would afford your own players and you may find the dialogue improves.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN

People call you a Leafs hater because you turn up in a bunch of threads about the Leafs and gloat about how our young players are doing badly. Congratulations on predicting that some of our guys might slump, and right you are, Marner and Nylander have slumped. They slumped in November and now at the halfway point you're clearly so, so right in your predictions, they're on pace to undershoot their point totals by three or four points! The part about their actual talent still being elite is apparently beside the point. Never mind that they each have 10 points in their last 10 games. Never mind that their shooting numbers have been unsustainably low. You're turning up to gloat about how you were right about our guys getting a few less points, when you have admitted that was based on nothing to do with the players themselves. You've thrown poop at the wall and are proud that some of it is sticking.

If I turned up in every Boston Bruins thread and started banging a drum about how probably two out of three of Pastrnak, McAvoy, and Heinen were going to regress next year and backed it up with no facts, evidence, or anything other than "lots of guys regress", I'd bet that Bruins fans would get pretty sick of my shtick. If they did regress (because I got lucky) and I made sure to rub their faces in it at every opportunity you'd probably write a similar post to what I'm writing now. You get called a "hater" because you make negative assumptions and make zero attempts at analysis, context, or justifications for why the results may be the way they are. Extend some of the courtesies to the Leafs players that you would afford your own players and you may find the dialogue improves.

Yeah, and posters like him and McDavidkissedlarkin think they’ve never been wrong on a prediction before when, for instance, I can almost guarantee the latter thought Edmonton was a Cup contender this season.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Some of the responses in here are very immature. The season is half over, but there is still another half. Let's not forget that Nylander turned it on in the 2nd half last year. He still has the tools including the shot to start scoring.

Of course it's likely that he won't hit 30 goals, but sometimes that happens. Leaf fans can be wrong like everyone else, but at least have a little bit of class in your "victory".

No one wins when a star player takes a step back.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not exactly true.

Exactly. The bolded phrase brings me back to those conversations.

Feeling a bit of vindication after tar & feathers does feel good to me. I bet it does to you too. :)

ANd again, there was nothing tangible prior to the start of this season that suggested this would happen.... Nylander’s production was high because hes a bluechip prospect, all of the underlying numbers suggested his scoring pace last season was sustainable. Further, his overall production got hampered by a Cold streak last Nov/Dec, so if anything the tangible evidence suggested improving his scoring pace this season.

Following your logic you could have flipped a coin and made the same decision as you did.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
The HF wheel of I Told You So will never stop turning. If Nylander tears it up the rest of the year or next, we'll see some Leafs fans being equally obnoxious and bumping threads like some of the folks in here.

Easiest thing is just to realize that everyone is terrible and things will never change. Then place the most terrible of said terrible people on ignore.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
The HF wheel of I Told You So will never stop turning. If Nylander tears it up the rest of the year or next, we'll see some Leafs fans being equally obnoxious and bumping threads like some of the folks in here.

Easiest thing is just to realize that everyone is terrible and things will never change. Then place the most terrible of said terrible people on ignore.

i have him locked in for 60 goals next year!

What's Bae on pace for now?

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

Nah. If someone backs what they say with a modicum of rationale or facts or theory, I am fine with it. It is exactly what debate is: put forth an argument, support it with the best that one has. Then it's the turn of the next guy to agree or disagree, by using the same methodology.

You and those like you, simply tend to pout and whine when folks don't agree with your dreams of grandeur. "Nylander... 30+ goals 70+ points!"... "Marner, even better than that!"... and in reply to that: "Well, it's tough to achieve that when in the whole league there were only 19 players with 70 points or more last season, the odds are against that": boooo hoooo hoooo you're mean... it's only a lucky prediction, if it turns out to be right... broken clock right twice a day... boooo hooooo hoooo...

It would be better to say something like... After all, it wasn't so far fetched a theory, so far you look to be right in that.
And SO FAR, I was also right that the chances of Toronto having 5 players over 60 points in back to back seasons were minimal... And SO FAR, I was also right that having multiple veteran players (if I remember it was 4...) having career years production-wise would be difficult to replicate again... And I have also been proven right when I said that the level of health throughout the lineup of 16-17 would be very unlikely to replicate in 17-18... Last but not least, I was also right when I said that Matthews wasn't going to regress.
Quite a lot of poop that seems to be sticking to the wall, isn't it? Either I am the luckiest guy or maybe it wasn't all BS like you and all those with very thin blue-white skin seemed to think.

I also got one thing wrong. However what made it wrong wasn't dependent on Leafs performance. So far, I am 5 for 5 on stuff directly related to the Leafs (= performance by Leafs players). 0 for 1 in external stuff that would affect the Leafs standings. A combined 5 for 6. I will take it. :)
Now let's see how the season goes, maybe that 5 for 6 becomes a 0 for 6 or a 6 for 6 or anything in between. So far, I feel pretty validated. And folks like you ought to have some food for thought.

You are welcome to be in every thread you want, including all Bruins' ones, and to be critical about anything you want. As long as you try to support it with logic and/or facts, LIKE I DID, I doubt that even one fan would whine like you just did up here.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Yeah, and posters like him and McDavidkissedlarkin think they’ve never been wrong on a prediction before when, for instance, I can almost guarantee the latter thought Edmonton was a Cup contender this season.
In those very same threads he was referring to, I said I thought that Pastrnak would be around 60-65 points instead of 70. He is on pace for 80. I was wrong. :)

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
ANd again, there was nothing tangible prior to the start of this season that suggested this would happen.... Nylander’s production was high because hes a bluechip prospect, all of the underlying numbers suggested his scoring pace last season was sustainable. Further, his overall production got hampered by a Cold streak last Nov/Dec, so if anything the tangible evidence suggested improving his scoring pace this season.

Following your logic you could have flipped a coin and made the same decision as you did.

So, "cold streaks" (an interesting concept for someone only considering "underlying numbers"...) are not part of a season? A "blue chip prospect" can't have ebbs and flows in his production after all, right?
And if you take out the bad parts, he is actually having a better year. Do you hear yourself?

Bottom line, I said that when a rookie of Nylander's level (= a notch or two below the McDavid / Matthews level) comes in already at 60 points, it's difficult (= less likely, therefore) to improve on such already high levels right away.
That is further compounded by the fact that getting to 70 points is a matter that saw only 19 players do it in 16-17 (that's 0.61 player per team on average...).
All this doesn't exactly spell "easy stuff" and therefore, in my opinion less likely to happen (surprise, surprise... It's exactly the case till now...). Which is what I said. Now tell me again how this doesn't sound logical...

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The backtracking is hilarious, now leafs fans will try to use logic that everyone used in the off-season as to why they wouldn't all be putting up 15-20 point increases. Maybe if the blinders were off earlier you wouldn't be looking so foolish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad