Does Weise have top 6 potential?

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Nah. The issue he had in Vancouver was only playing 4-6 minutes a night. He's openly said he only wanted to aim for 10ish. He and Torts also had problems dating back to their New York days. Before all that, Weise was perfectly happy with the Canucks. I doubt he has any problems with his role now.
I think you can say points are a lot more tied to minutes then strickly skill. One simple fact is it keeps you in the game. Sit on the bench and try to get your energy up every 5 minutes for a 30 second shift. Very hard to do.

Ineverplayedthegame

Sep 25, 2013
What site did you get the 5 on 5 numbers from?

I noticed 54 players scored more than 40 at ES. Pacioretty was our only player. Desharnais was in the 60s. No one else in the Top-100. Gallagher, Gionta, and Plekanec were in the Top-125, and then no one else in the Top-200.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...d=0&type=individual&sort=ipoints&sortdir=DESC

The NHL.com ES scoring numbers include 4v4, pulled goalies and empty net situations.
Weise is 3rd on the team in P/60 playing mostly with journeymen and D-zone starts lol at "dime-a-dozen".

Not that I'm not all for using things like 5v5 P/60 to give context to scoring numbers but Weise is riding the high PDO+high IPP combo. His possession numbers look pretty bad and he looks average/below average on scoring chances (though I'll admit, better than I thought he would before I looked). The fact that, out of the 62 shots Pacioretty has taken this year, a high percentage that went in happened to be the (few)ones coming of a Weise pass seems like a fluke. I mean, he can hang on with Pacioretty but, who can't?

I might be wrong, maybe the guy has just never gotten the shot he deserves but I kinda doubt it. I'm not always against using less typical players to complete a scoring duo but Weise isn't much as a defensive/two way player/possession driver and using a non typical skill guy on a top 9 "because size/grit/energy" seems Carbonneau-ish to me.

68*

Dale's got this. Best energy player in the league right now. Hope he will re-sign with us so he can centaur Big Mac in 2-3 years.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
Well he could be a late bloomer.

He is climbing the stats sheet fast... passing Gallagher last night.

Weise could be overtaking Eller and PAP in points soon enough.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Dale's got this. Best energy player in the league right now. Hope he will re-sign with us so he can centaur Big Mac in 2-3 years.

*I wish I were good at shooping, request Centaur Weise*

Elder_Centaur_by_mangrasshopper.jpg

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I honestly think he has all the tools to be a top 6. Hes probably missing stick handling skills but he has everything else. Mt should totally give him a shot

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
I honestly think he has all the tools to be a top 6. Hes probably missing stick handling skills but he has everything else. Mt should totally give him a shot

Yup, about stickhandling he did have a deft chip around to the slot vs Philly that just missed. Has not looked weak with the puck at all, can protect it well. Anyway even if Weise isn't "perfect" for top-six his size and physical play could well complement our otherwise soft top-six. Rather our top-six get-dirty player be Weise than Galchenyuk or Gallagher.

I'd like to try something like Max - Plex - Weise

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
He's too good for a fourth liner that's for sure though. He's like Prust in that way. And have you guys noticed with the Habs dressing 7 Ds and with Prust and Weise being used to help the other lines that we essentially do not have a fourth line? We have a bunch of guys playing on three lines and then there's...Malhotra. :laugh: Who's only there for faceoffs. That's pretty strange, I've never seen a coach do that before. And how long it's gonna last..?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I can't believe there are 4 pages about this.

Absolutely not, he's a good 4th liner. Sometimes these players look good in small doses (Moen in 2010 playoffs, Prust with the kids in 2012). These players will bring energy but they tend to falter over extended periods of time.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I think his potential is better than what we had intended for him, he's better than a plug 4th liner, he can imo actually be a solid 3rd liner potentially. Never a top 6 forward though.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Not even remotely. He is a good fourth liner who can adequately slide up, but is best served playing 10ish minutes a game and nothing more.

I have to politely disagree!;)

Weise is great (not just adequate) for our top 9 depth in case of injuries. We don't have many power forwards (ex: Wayne Simmonds, playoff-Bourque...hopefully he makes a strong comeback!) to compliment our skilled/fast 1st, 2nd, 3rd lines...Weise to the rescue!!

Weise has underrated potential and hockey sense (vision, passing, shot).

We're lucky to have him as our 3rd-4th liner who can pitch in on any line...any line...imho;). Sure, maybe he's better (effective) with 10-12min/game, but also good to know he's there in case of injuries (maybe can play effectively at 15min/game?). Absolutely love the acquisition. Can't wait to see what Bergevin has up his sleeve for the March trade deadline.

Galchenyuk-Pleks-Weise
Pacioretty-DD-Weise
Playoffs-Bourque/Sekac-Eller-Weise
Prust-Malhotra-Weise

3rd liner (or more):
Weise>>Prust

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
When's the last time a 3rd/4th line grinder made his way on a top-6 at 26 years old? He might have a bit more speed and vision than your usual grinder but i can't see him getting a regular spot outside the bottom 6, even a regular third line spot seems unlikely.

He would have made a fantastic RWer next to Doug Jarvis and Bob Gainey.

Definitely can handle 3rd line RW. It makes sense to play him with Desharnais and Pacioretty at times on the third line, and Patches can get extra minutes on the 1st PP unit with Pleks and Galchy!

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Parenteau
Sekac-Eller-Gallagher
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Weise
Bournival-Malhotra-Prust

If Gallagher slumps a bit from being over-used, drop him to the third line, and put either Weise or Prust with Eller. Also Sekac and Pacioretty can switch up where needed.

Other than Galchenyuk being married to Plekanec in my books, playing the top minutes and being on the first PP wave, pretty much all the wingers are interchangeable. Just call Eller's line the 2nd line, Desharnais' line the 3rd line and Malhotra's line the 4th line. In real life, use them according to situations and who is playing better.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Weise has underrated potential and hockey sense (vision, passing, shot).

The word you're looking for here is overrated. By you, certainly. He's a high energy plug that also seems to be a decent dude, and he really doesn't have to be much more than that, either.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Weise will eventually fall victim to the Peter Principle: he's great at his role, but he'll eventually be promoted past his competence level. He's a great bottom sixer, but if you promote him past that, he'll start faltering pretty quickly. If he can be a 15 goal guy, that would rule.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
I don't think he's proven to be a top 6 forward. He'd need more time in the top lines in order to prove that. I think he's good where he is know though.

I love how each time Weise is put on the 1st line for a shift or two, just to bring some nitro into that line, Pacio scores. Weise is playing great as a bottom 6. But his effects on the 1st line are not negligeable.

I think it's fair to keep him as a bottom 6 for now, while putting him on the 1st line for maybe a shift or two a game, just to provide that line a boost. The guy is just a jump starter. This would be a safe bet imo. But if he keeps up these effects on the first line, why not give him a longer role on it? Worse come to worse, you put him back as a bottom 6 and keep dong what we do now.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I can't believe there are 4 pages about this.

Absolutely not, he's a good 4th liner. Sometimes these players look good in small doses (Moen in 2010 playoffs, Prust with the kids in 2012). These players will bring energy but they tend to falter over extended periods of time.
He was very bad on the third line even, he's a 4th liner and that's it. But I'll enjoy what he brings until he stops bringing it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad