Does Weise have top 6 potential?

HabsRockBruinsChoke

Jul 30, 2013
This guy has been in the RW spot of 4th line ever since he got here and has been putting up points on a similar pace to DD... now I'm not bashing DD but imagine if they switched lines and Weise was given more than double his current minutes in addition to playing with better linemates, I think his highest potential would be a PPG winger.

Take a look at last years playoff performance, 3 goals and 4 assists as a 4th liner, I honestly think he deserves a promotion.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
We've seen a lot of players dominate in the bottom six - remember Maxim Lapierre?

They don't usually dominate in a top six role. Best case scenario they can man the fort for twenty games if there are a couple injuries.

K9

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
Love him but no. Above average bottom sixer, his career year will look something like 15 goals 30-40 points.

Add some spunk and ability to play the PK and he's a very useful player.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
No. all TOP teams have a great fit at all positions.
as a top 6 no but he IS a great 4th liner that can fill in almost everywhere in a pinch.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Love him but no. Above average bottom sixer, his career year will look something like 15 goals 30-40 points.

Add some spunk and ability to play the PK and he's a very useful player.

40 points on the bottom six is elite, not average.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Cute...but no, there's no denying though that he's playing like he's top six..hell, if he ever becomes one I'll gladly eat crow

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Definitely not. Even on the 3rd line he was a sink when he was the second best player on the line (with Eller and Bourque). He's good at what he does though.

Eagle Eye Cherry

guitar player
Feb 19, 2006
Montreal
We've seen a lot of players dominate in the bottom six - remember Maxim Lapierre?

They don't usually dominate in a top six role. Best case scenario they can man the fort for twenty games if there are a couple injuries.

whatever happened to Maxim anyways? I totally forgot about that guy lol.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
This guy has been in the RW spot of 4th line ever since he got here and has been putting up points on a similar pace to DD... now I'm not bashing DD but imagine if they switched lines and Weise was given more than double his current minutes in addition to playing with better linemates, I think his highest potential would be a PPG winger.

Take a look at last years playoff performance, 3 goals and 4 assists as a 4th liner, I honestly think he deserves a promotion.

Part of why he can put up points is he puts them up against weaker defense pairs and forwards that are not as good defensively.

I think he can occasionally play top 6 in a short, injury type situation, but he wouldn't be a full time guy there. I think he could do well with Eller and Sekac but he and Sekac are both RW.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Part of why he can put up points is he puts them up against weaker defense pairs and forwards that are not as good defensively.

I think he can occasionally play top 6 in a short, injury type situation, but he wouldn't be a full time guy there. I think he could do well with Eller and Sekac but he and Sekac are both RW.

this season, he got most of his points (if not all except for penalty shot) playing with Patches...

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
this season, he got most of his points (if not all except for penalty shot) playing with Patches...

4 of 6 points I believe are Weise passing the puck to Patches.

I don't think he can be a top 6 forward, but if he plays with the same intensity every night as he does with the Bruins, he will be a great bottom 6 player.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
He's a dime a dozen 4th line kind of player on most nights, but he's also a big game player and does more than you could ask for in big games.
People say he only plays well against the bruins, but he had a pretty damn good series against nyr too.... And let's not forget that he was the guy to score in OT against Tampa in game 1.

He's valuable, but he's not a full time top 6 player.

Ineverplayedthegame

Sep 25, 2013
I don't even think he's an above average third liner so no. Pacioretty might be good enough to make him kinda look like one tho. However, it would lessens Pacioretty's overall impact at ES so I don't really think it's worth it.

40 points on the bottom six is elite, not average.

40 5on5 points is elite period. 27 fowards broke that mark last year.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
No. If his skillset is needed on the Top-6 for whatever reason, he could contribute, though.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
You know Weise may just suit Patches style of play. The Patcher needs someone to do the dirty work in the corners, slot and behind the net. Weise seems willing to do it for now. I would spot him occasionally on that line to see how he responds. My feeling tells me Weise needs to be reminded that most people see him as a 4th liner maybe 13th player so hustle your ass out there.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
You know Weise may just suit Patches style of play. The Patcher needs someone to do the dirty work in the corners, slot and behind the net. Weise seems willing to do it for now. I would spot him occasionally on that line to see how he responds. My feeling tells me Weise needs to be reminded that most people see him as a 4th liner maybe 13th player so hustle your ass out there.

I think he's probably got as many assists on Pacioretty goals this year as DD. He's good for spot duty on a top line, just to shake some things up. He can create some space for the skilled guys and, like Prust, can sometimes make some decent plays when he has the opportunity. But we've already seen he's not a great fit on a top line for an entire game.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
If we only have 3 wingers better than Weise, we are in deep trouble.

He can fill it out for a short moment on the DD line but it couldn't be a long term solution.

He does look good with Pacioretty though. #NotHatingOnDD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad