Does Weise have top 6 potential?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Got to love Chris Nilan -- he barked out a few minutes ago, how he likes Weise's play but advised that he should get rid of the mullet. :laugh:

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Some players look great on limited minutes but as soon as you increase their ice time their weaknesses appear bigger. It is very obvious with defensemen.

I think Weise could do great on a third line but that's it. I like Prust and Sekac there right now however.

shamrun

Jun 5, 2008
vancouver
No

I added this sentence because i needed the extra characters.

In all seriousness, he has good hans, great speed, a bruin killer etc. He is effective when he plays a certain amount of minutes. You start asking more of him and it might work out for short term. Longer than that we would be in trouble.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
I think Weise assisted on more Pacioretty goals then Desharnais so far this year!!!

HShahzad

Jan 23, 2014
Dale Weise is a 3rd liner at best. We desperately need a true RW to play in the near future with Max Pacioretty and Alex Galchenyuk. I would love to see:

Pacioretty - Eller - Sekac
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallgher
Prust- Deharnais - Parenteau
Weise- Malhotra - Bowman/Bournival

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
If setting up Pacioretty a few times is the qualification to be top 6 then yes.,.he can be.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
Weise is a funny dude.

He gets right in the thick of things with the B's.

He slugged Campbell so fast, Campbell was surprised.

The guys has personality + hockey hair.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
He's a dime a dozen 4th line kind of player on most nights, but he's also a big game player and does more than you could ask for in big games.
People say he only plays well against the bruins, but he had a pretty damn good series against nyr too.... And let's not forget that he was the guy to score in OT against Tampa in game 1.

He's valuable, but he's not a full time top 6 player.

winner winner chicken dinner or should i be saying /thread

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Weise can't play in the top 6 every night. But I can see him steping up during a game or or two. Against Boston he was flying but we hadn't seen him play like that this year.

Weise is 3rd on the team in P/60 playing mostly with journeymen and D-zone starts lol at "dime-a-dozen".

Q: What do the Habs have to lose by playing Weise top-six and seeing if he can sustain his offense? We have top-six players who have sustained slumps for 40+ games and they are still there.

EDIT: My point is right now on our top-six we have only one player with size who plays physically and that's our 20 year-old future star Galchenyuk. Kudos to Gallagher for his grit and bang but he's small. I've watched hockey long enough to know that a contender can't have such a soft top-six and anyway do we really want Galchenyuk carrying that role alone? When we got Weise I also thought he was a 4th liner at best but if he can add a missing ingredient to our top-six, even if he's not perfect he maybe can get the job done, and it so far it has worked having him there, points wise. Got to admit we have some other less-than-perfect players for their roles on our top-six.

Last edited:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
From what I've seen from Weise...

Imo, he can compliment every line...good to know in case of many injuries:

Galchenyuk - Pleks - Weise
Pacioretty - DD - Weise
Sekac/Bourque - Eller - Weise
Prust - Malhotra - Weise

Go Weise Go!! (wish we had another Weise!).

p.s.: loving it...more Hab fans noticing Weise's potential (not just a solid 4th or 3rd liner, but your team is darn good if he's on your 4th...even on your 3rd, imo). Not too long ago...many Hab fans were just sticking him on the 4th.

Imo:
Prust-policeman > Weise
Weise's hockey-sense/potential >>> Prust

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
From what I've seen from Weise...

Imo, he can compliment every line...good to know in case of many injuries:

Galchenyuk - Pleks - Weise
Pacioretty - DD - Weise
Sekac/Bourque - Eller - Weise
Prust - Malhotra - Weise

Go Weise Go!! (wish we had another Weise!).

p.s.: loving it...more Hab fans noticing Weise's potential (not just a solid 4th or 3rd liner, but your team is darn good if he's on your 4th...even on your 3rd, imo). Not too long ago...many Hab fans were just sticking him on the 4th.

Imo:
Prust-policeman > Weise
Weise's hockey-sense/potential >>> Prust

He can play any position, like Mike Mordecai.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Not even remotely. He is a good fourth liner who can adequately slide up, but is best served playing 10ish minutes a game and nothing more.

If we could convince him every team we play are Boston then yes any line.:laugh:
Or maybe it's the death threat thing that gets him going. :amazed:

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
I love Dale Weise. He's a hockey player's hockey player. He's got the name, the hair, the face, the demeanor... that's a hockey player. But no he's not top 6. Unfortunately, he may one day end up thinking he could play top 6 because he's got some tools (That was the rumblings coming from Vancouver wasn't it?) and that could mean he would leave by overpricing himself and getting signed for too much money by some sucker low-rank team. Also, if there's an expansion and we can't protect him, he's gone.

The Habs are so far treating him great though.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I love Dale Weise. He's a hockey player's hockey player. He's got the name, the hair, the face, the demeanor... that's a hockey player. But no he's not top 6. Unfortunately, he may one day end up thinking he could play top 6 because he's got some tools (That was the rumblings coming from Vancouver wasn't it?) and that could mean he would leave by overpricing himself and getting signed for too much money by some sucker low-rank team. Also, if there's an expansion and we can't protect him, he's gone.

The Habs are so far treating him great though.

Nah. The issue he had in Vancouver was only playing 4-6 minutes a night. He's openly said he only wanted to aim for 10ish. He and Torts also had problems dating back to their New York days. Before all that, Weise was perfectly happy with the Canucks. I doubt he has any problems with his role now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad