Speculation: Do You Want Gerard Gallant Fired?

Do You Want Gerard Gallant Fired?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
Gallant was a lot better coach last year after the reinforcements arrived.
I agree with a lot of things you posted and your premise overall but I have a different take on the statement above but maybe it's just how you worded it. I would say his coaching skill was more difficult and more evident (at least to those that saw the defeicencies in the team ) before the reinforcements arrived. Once the reinforcements arrived yes it looked easy for him. These reinforcements weren't superstars either but he was able to fill some very problematic gaps that still exist now that the reinforcements have gone. One thing he should be given credit for is his recognition and use of Vesey a $750,000 PTO . That's a huge success story but doesn't get recognized by many here.

Last edited:

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
The posters on here saying Gallant has no system and is old school etc. have no clue.
In Florida and Vegas he had a man to man system with default backup plans similar to Carolina. When he came to New York he tried implementing that system for the first 20 games or so and they(including Drury) decided they didn't have the players to implement it so they moved to a zone system . They've tried to implement a hybrid but haven't had much success . The team is made up of some players better suited to zone and some better at man to man. There is talent for sure on this team but overall the team is slow and not put together well to form a cohesive system. The first year Vegas team wasn't full of grisly veterans . It was full of youngish misfits that teams were willing to give up on. But one thing is ......they could skate.......and skate they did and foerchecked and backchecked like crazy doing it ......all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals. All this tinkering going on this year isn't kneejerk like many think. They are looking at being better as a whole and building a team to win a Stanley Cup.

Last edited:

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Great interview with Trotz in The Athletic. Part of it explains that fans don't know quite a few things about what goes on behind the scenes with coaches and management.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The posters on here saying Gallant has no system and is old school etc. have no clue.
In Florida and Vegas he had a man to man system with default backup plans similar to Carolina. When he came to New York he tried implementing that system for the first 20 games or so and they(including Drury) decided they didn't have the players to implement it so they moved to a zone system . They've tried to implement a hybrid but haven't had much success . The team is made up of some players better suited to zone and some better at man to man. There is talent for sure on this team but overall the team is slow and not put together well to form a cohesive system. The first year Vegas team wasn't full of grisly veterans . It was full of youngish misfits that teams were willing to give up on. But one thing is ......they could skate.......and skate they did and foerchecked and backchecked like crazy doing it ......all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals. All this tinkering going on this year isn't kneejerk like many think. They are looking at being better as a whole and building a team to win a Stanley Cup.
Sounds like excuses to me . Trotz got a team that played zero defense in 2018 and was last in the league to best in the league in one season, with the same players

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Sounds like excuses to me . Trotz got a team that played zero defense in 2018 and was last in the league to best in the league in one season, with the same players
And Gallant went to the Rangers and they went from 14th in goals against to 2nd.

Oh, and from out of the playoffs to the semis.

Trotz is great at creating a soul-crushing defensive structure. Reminds of the Cup Devils teams.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
And Gallant went to the Rangers and they went from 14th in goals against to 2nd.

Oh, and from out of the playoffs to the semis.

Trotz is great at creating a soul-crushing defensive structure. Reminds of the Cup Devils teams.
What did gallant have to with Shesty posting a generational save % and the power play being hot? Team was bottom 10 in most metrics. They did not play good hockey in the playoffs and were carried by 3 elite players going ham.

And, again, the “we went to the ECF!” pleas hold zero weight because AV took us even further than that, with less talent, and everyone here thinks he’s the worst coach who ever lived

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
What did gallant have to with Shesty posting a generational save % and the power play being hot? Team was bottom 10 in most metrics. They did not play good hockey in the playoffs and were carried by 3 elite players going ham.

And, again, the “we went to the ECF!” pleas hold zero weight because AV took us even further than that, with less talent, and everyone here thinks he’s the worst coach who ever lived
So, where the team ends up is less important than underlying numbers.

Then your strategy reverses with AV.

That's what's special about reading your stuff. Everyone stinks unless you get stuck in a quandary of something isn't matching your usual opinion.

Looking forward to your incessant negative commentary later in this thread.

I know this to be true because if something always happens, it's going to continue to happen.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

I do not. Not even close.

We have 59 points. First place Canes have 66 points. How many points would you expect us to have with the coach (that is available) of your choosing?

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
Trotz got a team that played zero defense in 2018 and was last in the league to best in the league in one season, with the same players
Are you drunk ? Trotz never came close to bringing a team from worst to first over any length of time ......let alone in one season.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Are you drunk ? Trotz never came close to bringing a team from worst to first over any length of time ......let alone in one season.
Last in GA to best in GA. Islanders under Weight played pure pond hockey. Somehow I think if they can be taught to buy into a whole new system in one offseason, so can these guys

OrwellianNightmare

May 2, 2022
Show me a good coach and I’ll show you a good goalie.

We’re terrible 5v5 with Gallant. We don’t sniff the playoffs without Shesterkin.

What does Gallant say when asked about Shesterkin? “Ask Benny”. LOL

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
There are 2 or 3 actual difference making coaches in the league at any given time. Then there's 10-15 interchangeable good ones who win more than they lose and the rest are interchangeable bad coaches that lose more than they win.

Reactions: Bob Richards

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
There are 2 or 3 actual difference making coaches in the league at any given time. Then there's 10-15 interchangeable good ones who win more than they lose and the rest are interchangeable bad coaches that lose more than they win.
Gallant is certainly a difference maker, just the wrong way

OrwellianNightmare

May 2, 2022
Im not a fan of his but firing him accomplishes nothing. Another coach isnt coming in and making all the moves everyone wants lol youve watched hockey long enough to know that

I don’t disagree in the minute differences across the coaching sphere, but I do disagree that another coach couldn’t come in and get more out of this roster than Gallant.

Look at Boston. Montgomery made some tweaks (also helps to have Krejci slot each player in their role) and they’re destroying the league. That team just found another gear and they were elite already. And that’s after Cassidy who is another great coach.

I’m not suggesting there is a perfect coach, but there are more intricate X and O coaches than what we’ve seen with Gallant.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I don’t disagree in the minute differences across the coaching sphere, but I do disagree that another coach couldn’t come in and get more out of this roster than Gallant.

Look at Boston. Montgomery made some tweaks (also helps to have Krejci slot each player in their role) and they’re destroying the league. That team just found another gear and they were elite already. And that’s after Cassidy who is another great coach.

I’m not suggesting there is a perfect coach, but there are more intricate X and O coaches than what we’ve seen with Gallant.

Yeah Montgomery is a good coach but I think Gallant would be fine on a veteran experienced team with cup winning leadership

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Right, which speaks to the minute differences in coaches.

With the Rangers, we’ve hit our walls by now. And Gallant’s “solutions” are pretty questionable ie: lines

Gallant can shuffle the lines until the end times but that will never fix the root problem, poor structure, which leads to poor tempo which leads to other problems such as sloppy execution which stops us from having that extra gear the really good teams have.

Gallant is a great busdriver for a ready made N/S veteran team but
1. this team is not that
2. this team needs to be much more than that, the game has moved on.

It's been 18+ months of Gallant now and this team is still not playing well 5v5.

Deleted member 23124

Gallant can shuffle the lines until the end times but that will never fix the root problem, poor structure, which leads to poor tempo which leads to other problems such as sloppy execution which stops us from having that extra gear the really good teams have.

Gallant is a great busdriver for a ready made N/S veteran team but
1. this team is not that
2. this team needs to be much more than that, the game has moved on.

It's been 18+ months of Gallant now and this team is still not playing well 5v5.
ANother problem is their habit of starting flat in so many games -- especially at home. That is inexcusable.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Right, which speaks to the minute differences in coaches.

With the Rangers, we’ve hit our walls by now. And Gallant’s “solutions” are pretty questionable ie: lines

Fair point. I actually do think the lines we have now are pretty close to what they should be. 47 games in is a hell of a time to get there though

You’ve never heard of the new coach boost? I think a lot of life would be injected into this team

I think its’s too late in the season and they are too high in the standings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad