Do you think you would have outperformed Dorion?

Dorion vs You

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I doubt that I could perform brain surgery better than a trained surgeon or defend an accused murderer more effectively than a trained lawyer. Being an NHL General Manager doesn't require that same level of commitment. It really isn't rocket science. The only qualification is having watched lots of hockey. Sure I'd do better than Dorion. He's not exactly killing it here.

Reactions: lancepitlick

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
It's also easy to point out GMs that created competitive teams with the constraint of a budget. Dorion wouldn't be on that list and he's not the first to face a budget.

There is a close to zero chance that all Melnyk did was give Dorion a budget and ask him to stick with it. He was a controlling egomaniac and almost certainly made hockey decisions - we’ll never know to what extent.

Teams with terrible ownership are not historically successful regardless of who the GM is. It’s not a position in which you can legitimately succeed.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
There is a close to zero chance that all Melnyk did was give Dorion a budget and ask him to stick with it. He was a controlling egomaniac and almost certainly made hockey decisions - we’ll never know to what extent.

Teams with terrible ownership are not historically successful regardless of who the GM is. It’s not a position in which you can legitimately succeed.
And you think this is exclusive to the Ottawa experience? This is getting ridiculous. Keep moving those goalposts.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
And you think this is exclusive to the Ottawa experience? This is getting ridiculous. Keep moving those goalposts.

Obviously not, that wasn’t really the point. It’s pretty disingenuous to pretend that Dorion’s only obstacle was budgetary when it’s pretty clear Melnyk was one of the worst owners in pro sports. When you’re assessing all the moves you would’ve made you should probably consider that there are layers of complexities we probably can’t even begin to imagine.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
I don't mind Dorion most likely because I'm not a guy that gets emotionally involved like most of you - not blaming you for it by the way.

I probably would have done a better job. I didn't say I would have been the best GM ever.

Melnyk was the boss, I'm pretty sure I had worst ones in my life.

Dorion would have been kept as an assistant GM for his scouting and drafting - so a big win
Contract negotiations: would have hired a firm to do it.

I would have tried to hired some of you, sometimes for your wisdom and sometimes for your stubbornness

Most people are not arguing with the players being traded but with the timing and the return

I'm pretty good with budget and numbers

My big downfall would have been being new, being interviewed and my love for my family/wife.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I wouldnt have traded Zibanejad, Stone, and Karlsson.

I would have traded Turris, Pageau, C. Brown, Paul, Hoffman.

I wouldnt have signed Murray to that contract.

But being a GM in Ottawa under Melnyk is only 30 % of the trades and signings and 70% the other nonsense that I would have crumbled underneath in less than a day.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I love the idea that a group who’ve never worked in the industry think they would excel at the top position in the industry.

The majority of this forum wouldn’t be asked to volunteer evaluate a minor hockey evaluation let alone be better than Dorion at GM.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
He's far from an expert, but he'd probably do better than me.... Until the SENS pony up and pay for a real manager & real coach, we will forever be a Farm team to the rest of the NHL.

Enjoy them while we still can......

yogibear

Mar 21, 2007
Ottawa/Gatineau
About Zibanejad, i would probably have tried to trade him but maybe not not for Brassard. Never really liked Zibanejad. He didn’t seems to fit here.

Stone, hopefully there was a better package for him available.

Karlsson, what looked a bad trade now for us now is awesome. I will assume that Dorion insisted for some clauses of the deals like the unprotected pick.

Murray, hell no. No way i give that contract.

White, too much cash.

Duchene, no way i trade for him.

Ceci/Methot, thanks Phaneuf for this mess.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Its impossible to really know the restraints put on Dorian by Melnyk. If the teardown down was really going to happen I would have tried to keep Stone and Pageau, but my 2022 Senators would not have Zibby or Karlsson. I would not have grabbed Murray. Other than that it is kind of a wash.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
The Eugene thing is of course the wild card but when you see the trades and money able to be spent for players then you can see a huge chasm where the team could have been managed much better.

Won't go down the line completely but Zibby and Turris would have been handled differently as well as the stupidity around the Karlsson/Hoffman feud.

Trading Hoffman for nothing was such a panic move.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Very hard question to answer fairly without being in the room.

All I can base it is on my most relevant experience of being a business owner/boss and a fantasy gm.

Based on both I think I could do a good job. However, a huge element of Dorion's job was his ability to manage up with Eugene Melynk.

I have a lot of patience for bullshit in the pursuit of larger goals, so I'd like to think I could survive. But given how mercurial Melynk was, I cannot confidently say he wouldn't fire me.

On top of that, Dorion is managing down to two extremely competent and imposing brothers. It is hard to imagine Dorion being the "boss" of the Manns based on relative gravitas and personality.

All of these social aspects are much bigger factors than "would I have traded Stone and what hypothetical package would I have recieved?"

If I'm honest with myself, I don't think I would have lasted as long as Dorion, either by virtue of being fired by Melnyk or assassinated by a Mann. The best metric of success after cups is longevity. Since I can't promise the former, I think I would lose on the latter.

Reactions: DrEasy

R2010

May 23, 2011
Three things I just do not get. The Demelo trade, the Murray contract and the Boucher pick. To this day I can't believe we let Demelo (who wanted to be here and complimented chabot) leave to sign a very reasonable contract elsewhere.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
This thread would be more interesting if votes were visible - the first 10-15 are obvious but apparently 30 of us are smarter than our GM …

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
This thread would be more interesting if votes were visible - the first 10-15 are obvious but apparently 30 of us are smarter than our GM …
I'm shocked you don't feel the same way. You comment like you have every situation figured out and it's all too easy for you.

I bet I can name 1 thing you think you would have handled much better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland