Do you think you would have outperformed Dorion?

Dorion vs You

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Just for fun I'm writing what I think I'd do instead of Dorion lol

-I wouldn't trade Zibby. I'd do whatever it takes to sign him long term. He was slowly getting better every season.
-I wouldn't have traded for Duchene. He wasn't enough of an upgrade for me to give up the assets that we did.
-I wouldn't trade Stone, instead I'd have tried to sign him to a contract like the Flames did with Gaudreau to keep him here a bit longer.
-I'd try to get Turris to re-sign for long term at $5.5 million aav
-Wouldn't have traded for Murray. His numbers never justified the cost for signing him, nor the assets. I'd go with journeyman goalies and give them chances to emerge as 1a/b's.
-Wouldn't have traded for Stepan
-Wouldn't have traded for Gudbranson
-Wouldn't have traded for Burrows (too much biting history there lol)
-Wouldn't have bought out Ryan
-I'd offer Karlsson $9 million aav max and if he doesn't take it, I'd move him and I don't think I'd be happy with what PD got. Instead of DeMelo and Tierney, I'd have pushed hard for Meier.
-I'd re-sign Duclair. I liked the Dadanov acquisition, but also would have liked them both. Having said that, I'd prioritized Duclair cuz he was already here and had more speed than Dadanov
-Would have traded Ceci earlier/let Vegas take him, or would just deal with one more year of him instead of accepting an anchor of a contract in Zaitsev.
-Protected Methot in the Vegas draft
-If I found out Hoffman was having issues with EK, I'd move his ass immediately. EK was always more important to me than a floaty winger.
- I would not have selected Boucher, I'd have picked Lysell
-I'd have signed Pageau for the contract that the Isles gave him, if he said no, I'd move him
-I would not have traded Phaneuf to the Kings, I'd keep the warm body on the ice for the Sens

-I'd draft Boqvist over Tkachuk
-I'd give White a similar deal
-I'd try to give Chabot a long term deal but $7 million aav
-I'd give Batherson a 3 year bridge deal and then regret tf out of it lol

-Probably get fired for publicly cussing out Melnyk

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
It certainly appears to me that the reason Dorion was given a 3 year extension earlier than anyone expected was because he was told that within one year of when EK would need close to a $100 mil contract extension, he would have to turnover the entire roster for rookies and prospects and operate at the cap floor for a few years while the entire fanbase detests you for incompetence. Then after 3 years you can get judged on the prospects you assembled.

So saying you would have signed Zib, Stone, .. et al means you would never have got the job in the first place. Dorion was at least smart enough to know what he had to do to get a 3 year extension as a GM in the league.

It also appears he was told you will have to make it look like we will sign everyone as long as possible to trick them into still buying tickets. So i judge Dorion within that framework. How fast can you run a mile with a gorilla on your back.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I love that the YES group still leads and that it is causing a few usual suspects palpitations.

A joke thread trying to be taken seriously.

Also love how the assumption is anyone who said yes would have made only the worst decisions and somehow would have to run the org by themselves.

Time to chill out folks.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I love that the YES group still leads and that it is causing a few usual suspects palpitations.

Also love how the assumption is anyone who said yes would have made only the worst decisions and somehow would have to run the org by themselves.

Time to chill out folks.

We can use the EK and Pinto type thread as evidence that most would have made the worst decisions.

Nice of you to try to downplay what is commonly known to be true here. It’s sounds foolish writing it out but this message is every day around here.

The majority of the posts, positions, and arguments on this site are written with this message layered into the foreground or background.

R2010

May 23, 2011

Time to chill out folks.

Yeah here's the thing. You don't have to be a genius to figure out that the smart teams are doing something that we're not doing - maybe we should think about following them. Smart teams (Tampa, Colorado, Toronto) have been heavily using analytics. We haven't. And it shows. And i'm not even someone who thinks that analytics should be some big part of things but we are stunningly lacking in that area. You can say how its Dunning Kruger or whatever that we're all saying we could outperform him but in fairness a lot of us wouldn't throw away useful information like that.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Yeah here's the thing. You don't have to be a genius to figure out that the smart teams are doing something that we're not doing - maybe we should think about following them. Smart teams (Tampa, Colorado, Toronto) have been heavily using analytics. We haven't. And it shows. And i'm not even someone who thinks that analytics should be some big part of things but we are stunningly lacking in that area. You can say how its Dunning Kruger or whatever that we're all saying we could outperform him but in fairness a lot of us wouldn't throw away useful information like that.

How about we start with something simple? Firing our rookie GM who has been at the helm for 6 years as we stagnate near the bottom of the standings.

How long did Tampa Bay allow their GM to miss the playoffs? Toronto? Colorado?

Reactions: OD99 and R2010

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
We can use the EK and Pinto type thread as evidence that most would have made the worst decisions.

Nice of you to try to downplay what is commonly known to be true here. It’s sounds foolish writing it out but this message is every day around here.

The majority of the posts, positions, and arguments on this site are written with this message layered into the foreground or background.
GMPD has a much longer track record than the 2 items you bring up.

Also the drafting thing is really on the scouting staff - GMPD is a long way from being a scout so he essentially has to trust the personnel he has to make the correct decision. I am a big believer but Pinto hasn't even become an NHLer yet as well so hard to hang your hat on that anyway.

At the end of the day you want to tell everyone they are wrong because they aren't in the NHL and couldn't possibly understand yet you aren't in the NHL so why do you feel entitled to pass judgement?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
GMPD has a much longer track record than the 2 items you bring up.

Also the drafting thing is really on the scouting staff - GMPD is a long way from being a scout so he essentially has to trust the personnel he has to make the correct decision. I am a big believer but Pinto hasn't even become an NHLer yet as well so hard to hang your hat on that anyway.

At the end of the day you want to tell everyone they are wrong because they aren't in the NHL and couldn't possibly understand yet you aren't in the NHL so why do you feel entitled to pass judgement?

Yes - I feel pretty confident assuming someone who has worked in the industry for 20? Years is better prepared to be a GM of an NHL team than someone who managed their kids novice house team or played a little comp hockey.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I said “no” but this is an argument for yes. If I have a team of experts, then it really is about managing and decision making. Successful CEOs aren’t necessarily experts in their company’s domain, they are good at assessing risk and making decisions in a landscape full of constraints, pitfalls, opportunities, with a view to near and long term success for their company (and possibly shareholders). Is Dorion CEO material? I’m not sure about that. Would I be better than Dorion? I’m more of an expert in my field (more expert advisor than manager), so maybe not. But I’m not convinced, I have a lot of leadership experience.

I’m not changing my answer, but I don’t think it’s far fetched to think a non-hockey executive would do better than Dorion has if surrounded by hockey minds.
So, this non-hockey executive would be a yes man to the hockey minds…what’s the point then and what exactly would this non-hockey executive bring to the table?

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
What is up with this militant appeal to authority?

We're talking about hockey and being able to evaluate good players from bad. (Something Dorion is objectively terrible at based on his FA and trades)

Not brain surgery jeez.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
What is up with this militant appeal to authority?

We're talking about hockey and being able to evaluate good players from bad. (Something Dorion is objectively terrible at based on his FA and trades)

Not brain surgery jeez.
The whole "if you were a better hockey mind you'd be in the league" argument is weird, too. Like... no. In a perfect world, sure, but the NHL isn't exactly a meritocracy. That said, do I think any of us have any delusions that we'll actually be front office people? Nah. But it doesn't take a trained professional to look at questionable results and say, "Yeah, that's not right."

I'm critical of Dorion, and I don't think I personally could or would do a better job. But I'd love to see someone who isn't Dorion given the opportunity. Maybe we'd get less of the hand-wringing apologists when they see how a good team is managed.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
The whole "if you were a better hockey mind you'd be in the league" argument is weird, too. Like... no. In a perfect world, sure, but the NHL isn't exactly a meritocracy. That said, do I think any of us have any delusions that we'll actually be front office people? Nah. But it doesn't take a trained professional to look at questionable results and say, "Yeah, that's not right."

I'm critical of Dorion, and I don't think I personally could or would do a better job. But I'd love to see someone who isn't Dorion given the opportunity. Maybe we'd get less of the hand-wringing apologists when they see how a good team is managed.

No doubt, this reminds me so much of the Steve Hofstetter bit about a Helicopter in a tree. I don't need to be a pilot to look at the mess and say "That isn't right"

✂️ Helicopter

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

If and EK and Pinto are the best you have then your entire argument and premise is a house of cards.

Karlsson: Obviously a Melnyk move
cuz you know "God created Karlsson on the 7th day" - Dorion

Pinto:
"I'm gonna resign if we don't draft Pinto" - Trent Mann

wow such big brain dorion moves. anything else?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If and EK and Pinto are the best you have then your entire argument and premise is a house of cards.

Karlsson: Obviously a Melnyk move
cuz you know "God created Karlsson on the 7th day" - Dorion

Pinto:
"I'm gonna resign if we don't draft Pinto" - Trent Mann

wow such big brain dorion moves. anything else?

A house of cards is waking up every day and thinking your better at an nhl exec position having never worked a minute in the industry.

A house of cards would be thinking you’re smarter than a GM when the peak of your professional hockey experience is writing some posts on hf boards.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
A house of cards is waking up every day and thinking your better at an nhl exec position having never worked a minute in the industry.

A house of cards would be thinking you’re smarter than a GM when the peak of your professional hockey experience is writing some posts on hf boards.

why not address my reply instead of deflecting? I think we all know why though.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
So, this non-hockey executive would be a yes man to the hockey minds…what’s the point then and what exactly would this non-hockey executive bring to the table?
Good CEOs are not yes men. I don’t even know where to start with this.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
As I said before, being absolutely terrible at your job but still keeping it requires some level of genius. It is almost like sorcery.

Now, is Dorion a Wizard? Maybe.

Does he run around his room before bed wearing a cape, flicking a plastic wand at random bedroom objects screaming "Huzzah"? Yes, definitely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad