Do you think you would have outperformed Dorion?

Dorion vs You

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think my drafting acumen is worse enough for any kind of perceived advantage in trades and UFA signings to make a difference.

So, no.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingAlfie11

Union2017

Welcome to Ottawa, Michael Andlauer.
Feb 23, 2018
Ottawa
Hard to tell, considering I don't know what Melnyk and him were talking about behind the closed doors and how much did he have to run by the owner before making any decision. I just know I would look less silly and incompetent on the TV. But then, I also wouldn't get as many high fives as he did, so he wins in that.

pizza 1.jpg

Reactions: Sens With Benefits

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
About the same. I wouldn't have made some of mind boggling moves, but I'd have given Karlsson all the money. Not better, just different bad.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
I honestly thing Dorion is one of the better GM's (Not to be mistaken as best) in this league. As far as his scouting and drafting, I'd say he's top 5 in the league.

Definite no.

About the same. I wouldn't have made some of mind boggling moves, but I'd have given Karlsson all the money. Not better, just different bad.
I would have paid Karlsson the money too. That being said, the return turned out to be so amazing, can't hate at the end result too. Especially watching Karlsson's game in San Jose slowing down and injuries.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Hard to answer the question considering there would be a wildly divergent timeline.

In my case, Zibby would still be here, Duchene never would've been a Sen, and I wouldn't have signed that Murray contract.

If Stone and Erik wanted to stay here, they likely would be here, although that isn't a guarantee. Both contracts are a bit high for my liking and I wonder if they would've been approved here (doubtful). In any case, decisions on both would've been made the year before their contracts expired, not at the last minute. I have a feeling, dispite what both players say publicly about wanting to stay, that behind closed doors it would've been mutually beneficial for both sides to move on.

In terms of drafting, that's the scouts' call. I don't know how much of the draft was Dorion and how much was the scouts, so it's hard to know where the differences would be there. I would tell scouts to focus on skating, hockey IQ, and determination/work ethic as the top 3 things to look for....whether that changes our scouting lists enough to make different choices, I don't know.

Reactions: Cosmix and yogibear

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Interesting question.

I championed trading Karlsson immediately following his playoff run, knowing the rift between he and Melnyk would result in his departure at the end of his contract. Dorion did get a haul for him, but I'd like to think that trading a top 3 player at his peak (with a slight injury concern to be fair) with term at low dollars would have brought in resources that would have prevented a bottom out for 5 years. I truly think I could have timed that trade better and beaten his performance.

I also championed pre-empively trading Mark stone when he had 1 RFA year left, knowing the writing was on the wall. We would have gotten significantly more in return for him.

I didn't mind the Brass - Zib swap in principle, but hated the draft picks involved, so that wouldn't have gone through. In fairness to Dorion, I liked the Brass addition at the time, and was lukewarm on Zib. But we'd still have him if it was me.

And I'd have been less inclined to pick from the waiver wire, and more inclined to philosophically bring up talent in a non-basement dwelling environment.

So from a standings perspective, yes, I think we would have been better, without the bottom out. I'd give the edge to Pierre in drafting and development, that's his thing. PR wise, I'd have been better without question. Fewer (zero) girlfriend references, self doxxing moments, and showing of cards.

He could still fumble his way into a contender as the years go by, while who knows what heights my team would have reached. As I said, no bottom out though.

Reactions: Agent Zub

Union2017

Welcome to Ottawa, Michael Andlauer.
Feb 23, 2018
Ottawa
Yeah, I admit, I would likely throw money at EK65 back then. But I also don't know what PD knew back then about EK's health etc.

I would also do my best to get Alfie back into this organization and keep him here. Not that it's Pierre's job to do that, but I would strongly support that and fight for it. Imagine having Alfie as a face of this franchise and removing Dorion? Sigh....

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I would have kept Karlsson which is Dorions biggest win but sort of a fluke considering SJ injuries hit (maybe I'm being unfair)

Not to mention trading Karlsson was all Melnyk, if it was up to Dorion he would have kept EK as well ( 7th day ).

And that also opens up a can of worms about what Melnyk forced Dorion to do or not.

However I sure as shit know I would not have traded Zibanejad and we also have one of Byram or Zegras.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
No one would without dumb luck, but my team wouldn't get pushed around. :laugh:

Humm? When other teams make trades & it works out they are genius, but when we do it it's just dumb luck.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The fact anyone says yes to this question shows how out of touch with reality this board is. There are likely hundreds of hockey people around the NHL and other leagues who could do as well if not better than Dorion, none of them post here.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The fact anyone says yes to this question shows how out of touch with reality this board is. There are likely hundreds of hockey people around the NHL and other leagues who could do as well if not better than Dorion, none of them post here.
The thing is, there's a team of people advising Dorion, that would presumably be advising any poster here as well. Some of that advice might have been good, and some of it may have been very bad, hard to say I would have better sifted through what was good advice and what was bad any better than Dorion. There's a slew of information we don't have as well, players health and medical records, budget constraints, influence from ownership ect.

I think on a single trade, or draft pick, I might be tempted to say I'd have made a better decision, but that's cherry picking and even then there are potentially other factors that come into play.

It's not really a fair question to ask because Dorion's performance has to be evaluated with his limitations in mind, and we don't know what limitations were in place.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

so you would have performed much worse than Dorion and the moves he made?

damn that would have been something. at least you are honest

Reactions: DrEasy and ijif

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
If I sucked this bad at my job I would have been fired.

so.. he's got some magic beans or something I need to get my hands on

Reactions: bicboi64

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

I think there's an argument that if he'd sat on his hands and made no trades and just drafted/re-signed that the team might be in a better spot. For people that buy into this theory, an inanimate object would have done a better job than Dorion.

I don't think anyone here thinks they're some hockey genius (so far), Dorion has just set that low of a bar.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I think there's an argument that if he'd sat on his hands and made no trades and just drafted/re-signed that the team might be in a better spot. For people that buy into this theory, an inanimate object would have done a better job than Dorion.

I don't think anyone here thinks they're some hockey genius (so far), Dorion has just set that low of a bar.
Exactly what I came here to say. The only positive about this front office seems to be the drafting, but after last year I'm not even sure about that. It would be interesting to compare (over many years) the drafting record of an inanimate object that would just use Bob's list vs what the Sens did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln