Do you care that the NHL isn't going to the olympics

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
I don't think you know what athletic means. You can be 450 pounds and be incredibly athletic. A large section of NFL players are considered obease even though they are extremely athletic and in good shape. BMI which determines that stuff is a ****ty determining factor. I find it hilarious that the only thing non Americans say or can try to argue is this Americans are fat thing but when it comes to athletic competition at the highest level we have in average the best of the best. It just makes me laugh that apparently our fat asses out swim, run, row, etc better then the Europeans and Canada is really good at trampoline
Yes there may be obese athletic people, but in general these two conditions don't correlate well (understatement!). There is really no need to get so defensive. If you had said:"the proficiency of american athletes in popular sports shows huge potential once more Americans play hockey" i would have agreed 100%. Saying americans are the most athletic people in the world is simply a very far-reaching statement that is possibly also not true.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I have looked at all of them. The US (ranked 3rd) had the most medals in Sotchi with 28. Really pulls them ahead of Canada (Rank 2, 25 medals) and norway (rank 1 and 26 medals). The United States have appr. 62x the population of norway (albeit all of norway can have snow in winter, while only parts of the US). Does that really scream evidence that the US has the most athletic (whatever that means) population? To me it doesn't, not that they definitely don't either. I just see no strong enough basis for the claims you are making.
How were they ranked 3rd with more medals then both of those countries now? What weird math is that based on? Metric system?

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
pet scans do not and formally cannot detect CTE. It's akin to saying you went to a phrenologist to see if you had CTE. The guy that rubbed your head might think you have CTE, but that's a far cry from evidence that you do

this is the definition of diagnosis

1. 1.
    the identification of the nature of an illness or other problem by examination of the symptoms.
    "early diagnosis and treatment are essential"
    synonyms:identification, detection, recognition, determination, discovery, pinpointing
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]
  • I don't see " getting it close enough or still withing the realm of formal possibility as being a synonym. And a non valuable diagnosis is by definition not valuable. if it were, " ebola" could be the diagnosis for everything. the value of a diagnosis is IN the identification of the underlying cause of the illness or symptom. If you want to unilaterally redefine the word to suit your argument, then I say that you sir are a " genius".
Don't get me wrong, thanks for taking the time to try to explain this to me, BUTTT: according to the above definition a differential diagnosis is no diagnosis? Seems strange to this laymen. It really only says identification (it doesn't say definitive identification).

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Yes there may be obese athletic people, but in general these two conditions don't correlate well (understatement!). There is really no need to get so defensive. If you had said:"the proficiency of american athletes in popular sports shows huge potential once more Americans play hockey" i would have agreed 100%. Saying americans are the most athletic people in the world is simply a very far-reaching statement that is possibly also not true.
Too be fair some of my statements are just countering the people saying being Canadian they dontncare much because it would be a runaway like before with no competition. So if we are going to be arrogant and pretend we are better then people win we know there's not going to be a competition to prove it for at least 4 years might as well point out we get the most medals literally every Olympics.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
How were they ranked 3rd with more medals then both of those countries now? What weird math is that based on? Metric system?
Criteria in ranking olympic medals goes:
1)# of gold medals
2)# of silver
3) # of bronze

Both Canada and Norway had more golds than the US, with Canada also having more silver medals.

Btw 2006 Germany had more than the US. Not that I think it is actually relevant, but you drove the argument.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I couldn't care less, to be honest.

It's been fairly clear from the start, that neither the IOC or the NHL really cared about fan opinion in this process.

So, if they don't want me to care, I won't.

International Hockey is painfully overrated anyway.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Too be fair some of my statements are just countering the people saying being Canadian they dontncare much because it would be a runaway like before with no competition. So if we are going to be arrogant and pretend we are better then people win we know there's not going to be a competition to prove it for at least 4 years might as well point out we get the most medals literally every Olympics.
In this perspective i get why you phrased it like that. If hockey continues to grow in the US I would expect them to be better than Canada within our lifetimes. But what do i know.

Reactions: mikeyp24

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Criteria in ranking olympic medals goes:
1)# of gold medals
2)# of silver
3) # of bronze

Both Canada and Norway had more golds than the US, with Canada also having more silver medals.
Oh I've never gone by that it's a stupid system. More medals is more medals. So actually the US probably had way more but they put some weird system in. I explained my reasons in the other post though so no need to go back and forth but I just do pure medal count. It just doesn't make sense. I get it if the Olympics were set up as x country wins at the end because totally that would be the outcome but if you are.just counting medals that system doesn't work.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
In this perspective i get why you phrased it like that. If hockey continues to grow in the US I would expect them to be better than Canada within our lifetimes. But what do i know.
Yeah going through the thread it got to the point I couldn't read it anymore it just so happens the reasonable poster decided to debate it haha you are one of the good ones buddy.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I am bummed about it but I am not rage quit level of type of anger about it. And any anger I do have is directed almost solely toward the IOC due to how money grubbing and corrupt they are, and you have to be some next level greedy and corrupt to come out as the bad guys when being compared toward the NHL and its management. But I fully understand why the NHL doesn't want its players to go, the cost benefit of it is so far off balance that no one in their right mind would send their players or allow them to go if they were in charge at any capacity in the NHL. I know I wouldn't, I would hang up on the IOC laughing.

Also this Olympics will be viewed very little by me just because I do not like watching sports or athletics of any capacity post the actual event unless I am rewatching something I previously viewed live. If I did not watch the event live the likelihood of me watching that event short of a highly compressed highlights is almost next to nil. And being the time most of the events or matches will be broadcast due to being in Korea, this will probably be my least watched Olympics in years.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
This line of thinking always bothers me. This event happens every four (or two) years regardless of the state of the country. Not every single cent saved on not hosting the Olympics would go towards doing whatever you think the government has to do in your dream world. That's not how the economy/world works.

Are no countries ever allowed to host events now because some other country is poor?

LMAO. But it's all so LAME. It's embarrassing to have to watch opening & closing ceremonies. It sucks to watch steroid-loaded "amateur" athletes collecting medals and standing on podiums and listening to idiotic national anthems for no good reason. I'm not into the fakeness of it all......sorry. You might enjoy obvious propaganda, but some of us can see through it all, for the farce that it is. It's a complete & utter waste of money and resources. It's mindless.

And then to have millionaire, professional hockey players, playing a watered down version of a good game..........um, no thanks.

Let's stop all this crap and have our governments pump that money back into their own countries and build shelters and fight cancer and feed their citizens instead.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Who is pumping billions of dollars into the olympics? Are they funded by the international state community? I thought they funded themselves (leaving nearly nothing for the host nations).

What are you talking about? Each city that hosts the stupid events, shells out BILLIONS, making arenas and courses and athlete villages, that will all fall into ruin as soon as it's all done. And the TAXPAYER pays for it.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
thanks man, we really cleared the air...good on you!
Since we are best friends now I see the isles avatar I figured our debate must have been Destiny due to tonight's game haha. Good luck I honestly think you guys have us tonight the CBJ are hurting and healthy scratching guys not giving full effort right now. I don't want to derail so I'll end there but I noticed right before leaving the thread haha. Also dibs on first chance if you guys trade JT we got the best pieces =)

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
I don't think you know what athletic means. You can be 450 pounds and be incredibly athletic. A large section of NFL players are considered obease even though they are extremely athletic and in good shape. BMI which determines that stuff is a ****ty determining factor. I find it hilarious that the only thing non Americans say or can try to argue is this Americans are fat thing but when it comes to athletic competition at the highest level we have in average the best of the best. It just makes me laugh that apparently our fat asses out swim, run, row, etc better then the Europeans and Canada is really good at trampoline
I think the problem is that this is a hockey forum, and right now Canada literally owns Olympic hockey. There isn't an argument that you can make that suggests otherwise.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
I support the NHL, as a business, in not going to the Olympics.

I really don't care because I will still watch some chosen athletes that will be living a dream. After all, that is how it use to be. One of my most memorable moments in watching Olympic competition of any kind was without a doubt the Miracle on Ice.

I actually am looking more forward to this year's hockey competition because the NHLer's will not be there. There is still skill and talent out there. Maybe they will have a chance to shine that gives them a new opportunity.

What I still don't understand is how this relates to the CBA. Why did the players not negotiate this? Where is Mr. Fehr's responsibility in the players not being allowed to go? Was this an assumption on their part?

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I think it is a mistake on the NHLs part. The NHL struggles to get out of the shadows of the the other 3 major sports, and the Olympics were always something unique and special that gave hockey some much needed attention across the US.

Traditional non hockey fans really get into it during the Olympics. The 2010 US run and the Oshie shootout in 2014 were the moments I remember most people around me talking about hockey. The fact that the games are in February...after football is over and before baseball starts...really gives hockey the spotlight for once. It is a golden opportunity to promote the sport and you want to make sure you have the best product on the ice for it. The NHL fan in me does hate seeing the season shutdown for 3 weeks...but like I said it is something unique that none of the others sports do so I think it is worth it.

This year especially, when the US team would have the best young core in years...it really wouldve been an awesome chance to promote hockey across the US.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
What are you talking about? Each city that hosts the stupid events, shells out BILLIONS, making arenas and courses and athlete villages, that will all fall into ruin as soon as it's all done. And the TAXPAYER pays for it.
Are you a chinese taxpayer? If you are so lucky and no olympics ever take place in your country you pay nothing, that is my point. FIFA and the IOC are very corrupt and I am not a friendly towards them. But they have spent 0 of my money up to this point (UEFA spent some on the lamest EURO ever).

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Oh I've never gone by that it's a stupid system. More medals is more medals. So actually the US probably had way more but they put some weird system in. I explained my reasons in the other post though so no need to go back and forth but I just do pure medal count. It just doesn't make sense. I get it if the Olympics were set up as x country wins at the end because totally that would be the outcome but if you are.just counting medals that system doesn't work.
So the system the actual Olympic Committee uses is stupid and they put a "weird" system in?
Would you rather your men's and women's ice hockey team both win bronze? Or have one of them win Gold?
Gold medals mean you are the best at the given sport. I'd much rather Canada win 5 gold than 15 bronze.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I have looked at all of them. The US (ranked 3rd) had the most medals in Sotchi with 28. Really pulls them ahead of Canada (Rank 2, 25 medals) and norway (rank 1 and 26 medals). The United States have appr. 62x the population of norway (albeit all of norway can have snow in winter, while only parts of the US). Does that really scream evidence that the US has the most athletic (whatever that means) population? To me it doesn't, not that they definitely don't either. I just see no strong enough basis for the claims you are making.

When you look at Winter Olympics, summer olympics, and then team sports, what other country can compete with the US as a whole? How many medals did Norway or Canada win in the Summer Olympics? What non-Olympic sport is Norway among the best? Aside from hockey and maybe Lacrosse, what other sports is Canada considered a power? Yes, the size of the population is a big part of it. But, tell me what other country is at or near the top in as many sports as the US?

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Who is pumping billions of dollars into the olympics? Are they funded by the international state community? I thought they funded themselves (leaving nearly nothing for the host nations).
Host nations pay to build facilities for the Olympics. While the host nation does get a share of the revenue, it’s never anywhere close to enough to pay for the facilities the IOC demands be built as [part of a successful bid. With the exception of the Atlanta Olympics, every games in the last 40 years has left the host nation and city with $ Billions in debt.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Since we are best friends now I see the isles avatar I figured our debate must have been Destiny due to tonight's game haha. Good luck I honestly think you guys have us tonight the CBJ are hurting and healthy scratching guys not giving full effort right now. I don't want to derail so I'll end there but I noticed right before leaving the thread haha. Also dibs on first chance if you guys trade JT we got the best pieces =)
Hope so, but we normally don't do well against the Jackets. Too big for us I think, add to that that barzal has been playing less superhuman, i think we might be in for a bummer.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
I don't really care. Would like to see the new generation of Team USA players but in the end I'm not a big fan of Olympic hockey.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Host nations pay to build facilities for the Olympics. While the host nation does get a share of the revenue, it’s never anywhere close to enough to pay for the facilities the IOC demands be built as [part of a successful bid. With the exception of the Atlanta Olympics, every games in the last 40 years has left the host nation and city with $ Billions in debt.
I am fully aware of this. That is why i hope austria never gets involved again in any large sportevent related to FIFA, IOC or UEFA. All the corruption is also pretty insulting to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad