Do you care that the NHL isn't going to the olympics

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Whatever. So I'll enjoy the NHL instead. The Olympic hockey tournament is pretty meaningless now without NHLers. The gold just doesnt seems as important without the worlds best.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Do I care? Yes. It would be better with NHL players. But also don't want a reason to watch at 3am. Now I can sleep.

Do I understand why they aren't there? Yes.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Maybe the IOC shouldn't have been greedy ****s about NHL players going. Want to blame someone for NHL players not going? Blame the IOC for making the NHL take on all of the risk with absolutely no reward for the NHL. They basically wanted NHL players to go to the Olympics, have the NHL fund everything (from housing to food to insurance) and get all of the profits from the games.

People would rather react to their emotions that actually think.

Imagine, I want to build an office tower. I will provide the land a building materials.
You: will build the building which included supplying all the labour and insurance costs. For that you get to say you built it.
I: will reap all the financial rewards.

How dare you say "No."

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
It's not relevant outside the most hardcore of hockey circles, that's the problem. The Olympics makes the Hockey Tournament instantly relevant worldwide. Despite that, it could've been a great tournament if it wasn't NHL run with gimmicky teams and no proper qualifying. It was essentially an NHL Invitational.

The lack of a true Best on Best tournament is a travesty for this sport and it's on both the IOC and the NHL. Both made it clear they are not actual fans of the game, they just care about money. You don't see any other sports league fighting so hard to keep it's players out of international tournaments.

if the appeal is having the best players on the planet play each other, what difference does it make if it occurs under the 5 rings or not ?

And if " the Olympics makes the hockey tournament instantly relevant worldwide" lets wait till after korea to see how well team KHL beating team " who" and "has been" is received.

And this is 100% on the IOC who not only wanted the NHL to accept all of the liabilities while they got 100% of the benefits, they wanted the NHL to PAY for this arrangement. The NHL offered a plan that said that let it be revenue neutral and it will work. the ioc said no,

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
if the appeal is having the best players on the planet play each other, what difference does it make if it occurs under the 5 rings or not ?

And if " the Olympics makes the hockey tournament instantly relevant worldwide" lets wait till after korea to see how well team KHL beating team " who" and "has been" is received.

And this is 100% on the IOC who not only wanted the NHL to accept all of the liabilities while they got 100% of the benefits, they wanted the NHL to PAY for this arrangement. The NHL offered a plan that said that let it be revenue neutral and it will work. the ioc said no,

Super. We won the world cup of hockey that not a single other country watched. Does that bring you national pride? Were there celebrations in the streets of Canada? I watched the final at a bar and guess what happened after Canada won the World Cup? Absolutely nothing. No one cared. No one was outside cheering in the streets, nothing happened. That is because no gives a shit about winning something that no one gives a shit about. That's the difference. The Olympics bring the tournament instant meaning and value.

I bet the Olympic tournament has more people watching the final than the World Cup of Hockey, I guarantee it!

And it's not only on the IOC, it's on both sides. The NHL was asking for things no other sports league receives. Clearly that's not going to work.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I don't care about seeing the best hockey players in the world play against each other because I already watch the NHL and get to see the best hockey players in the world play against each other.

Also, Las Vegas just got a team and Seattle will likely get one. USA! USA! USA!

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I guess it's okay, get to see more prospects and to concentrate more on watching figure skating at the Olympics.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
I don't care about seeing the best hockey players in the world play against each other because I already watch the NHL and get to see the best hockey players in the world play against each other.

No you don't.

Find me one NHL team that is as good as the best team that Canada, USA, Russia, Sweden, Finland would be able to put together? Then find me another one and have them play each other in meaningful competition.

That's best-on-best.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
For me the NHL is far more important so I do not like seeing the season interrupted. For me personally it makes no difference, I will not be watching any way.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Super. We won the world cup of hockey that not a single other country watched. Does that bring you national pride? Were there celebrations in the streets of Canada? I watched the final at a bar and guess what happened after Canada won the World Cup? Absolutely nothing. No one cared. No one was outside cheering in the streets, nothing happened. That is because no gives a **** about winning something that no one gives a **** about. That's the difference. The Olympics bring the tournament instant meaning and value.

I bet the Olympic tournament has more people watching the final than the World Cup of Hockey, I guarantee it!

And it's not only on the IOC, it's on both sides. The NHL was asking for things no other sports league receives. Clearly that's not going to work.

so its NOT about having the best players play ? It about an opportunity to wave flags and yell rah-rah.

You don't need a hockey game as a podium for your patriotism, at least you shouldn't. I want to see the best players play each other. under whose auspices they play, I am completely ambivalent. Hell the IIHF runs a best of the rest tournament every year that I rarely give a crap about because the talent is the draw, not who organizes it.

don't beleive me ? wait till this years olympics. the 5 rings will still be there, and someone will win the tournament. but let's face it, the olympic medals should be in the form of an askterik because that's how that gold medal will always be viewed. If you want to rah rah the fact that your third tier athletes beat up every other countries third tier athletes, be my guest.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Super. We won the world cup of hockey that not a single other country watched. Does that bring you national pride? Were there celebrations in the streets of Canada? I watched the final at a bar and guess what happened after Canada won the World Cup? Absolutely nothing. No one cared. No one was outside cheering in the streets, nothing happened. That is because no gives a **** about winning something that no one gives a **** about. That's the difference. The Olympics bring the tournament instant meaning and value.

If you want to compare the greed of the NHL to the greed AND corruption of the IOC you go right ahead, but I will be out to lunch on that conversation because they are not even on the same planet in term of comparison in those areas. If you take a deep breath and stop thinking with emotions about what you want as a fan, look at how that whole thing played out in an objective logical nature what the NHL was asking for was pure business posturing. You can not realistically tell me that you believe the NHL had full intent on getting everything they asked for when negotiations were going on between the NHL and IOC? If you do, I have no idea what to tell you. But what was going on there was the NHL had enough of getting absolutely nothing except for "an international stage to grow the game of hockey upon" and having to change its season scheduling while risking players on 100% guaranteed contracts to what equates out to another league tournament that operates under false patriotism every 4 years, when the NHL realistically would have accepted 1 or 2 of the concession they asked for and when the IOC would not budge at all from its position of holding every single poker chip for themselves the NHL said enough it enough.

Would I love to see NHL players at the Olympics, yes 100%. BUT I also 100% understand why they are not going and every bit of anger or disappoint I have about them not going is directed solely toward the IOC and not the NHL.

Reactions: CrashBartley

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I guess it's okay, get to see more prospects and to concentrate more on watching figure skating at the Olympics.
i don't think that the players even qualify as prospects, more like washed out NHL players that caught on in anotther league. so perhaps " failed prefessionals" is more correct ?

what are the pospects that Wolski gets back to the nhl ? Thin and none.

and wont be as exciting as the world juniors which is exciting because the kids make a lot of mistakes even if its not the greatest hockey.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
so its NOT about having the best players play ? It about an opportunity to wave flags and yell rah-rah.

You don't need a hockey game as a podium for your patriotism, at least you shouldn't. I want to see the best players play each other. under whose auspices they play, I am completely ambivalent. Hell the IIHF runs a best of the rest tournament every year that I rarely give a crap about because the talent is the draw, not who organizes it.

don't beleive me ? wait till this years olympics. the 5 rings will still be there, and someone will win the tournament. but let's face it, the olympic medals should be in the form of an askterik because that's how that gold medal will always be viewed. If you want to rah rah the fact that your third tier athletes beat up every other countries third tier athletes, be my guest.

Then you should love the all-star game?

Or do you understand that the hype and flag waving isn't just for the fans but affects the game on the ice to?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
No you don't.

Find me one NHL team that is as good as the best team that Canada, USA, Russia, Sweden, Finland would be able to put together? Then find me another one and have them play each other in meaningful competition.

That's best-on-best.
I'm not saying best teams. I'm saying best players. And I do get to see the best players. I get to see every NHL team live at least once each season and even more often on tv.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Then you should love the all-star game?

Or do you understand that the hype and flag waving isn't just for the fans but affects the game on the ice to?
I dont because the all star game is an exhibition where the players don't try ( and some may be legally intoxicated while playing). It's not a game that I like and its clear that the players are not playing to win.

you think the players treat the canada cup and now the world cup as an exhibition ? perhaps as a "hockey friendly" ?

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
I dont because the all star game is an exhibition where the players don't try ( and some may be legally intoxicated while playing). It's not a game that I like and its clear that the players are not playing to win.

you think the players treat the canada cup and now the world cup as an exhibition ? perhaps as a "hockey friendly" ?

Compared to the Gold medal game at Olympics? 100%.

Ask the US players from 2010 how they felt about the Gold Medal Game loss and then ask them how they felt about being eliminated from that joke of an exhibition tournament.

Did the elimination games even make the sports highlights in the states? Why would they care about being eliminated from a tournament that no one at home was watching?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Less interested in the Olympics at this point. But for hockey fans, bummed we'll miss some of the potentially fun lineups.

It's a shame they couldn't work on a deal, because NHL players in the Olympics would be great for the sport. I do think the Olympics needed the NHL more than the NHL needs the Olympics, but it's something the sport of hockey could use for more appeal.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I believe just the exposure that hockey would get would be worth it. How often do you have a chance to showcase hockey of this quality on the world stage in meaningful games? I mean a few years ago TJ Oshie actually became a household name in America for his shootout mastery. That's great for the NHL, and hockey in general.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

Ask the US players from 2010 how they felt about the Gold Medal Game loss and then ask them how they felt about being eliminated from that joke of an exhibition tournament.

Did the elimination games even make the sports highlights in the states? Why would they care about being eliminated from a tournament that no one at home was watching?

So a hockey tournament that essentially has the same players, one is good one is bad because you want to watch the best players play each other.

The olympics trade on patriotism/nationalism. The do. If you want to ignore this and claim that the true appeal is best on best, then fine by me. lots of people delude themselves every day. There's nothing wrong with wanting to rah-rah, but if that is what you are looking for be honest about it.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I believe just the exposure that hockey would get would be worth it. How often do you have a chance to showcase hockey of this quality on the world stage in meaningful games? I mean a few years ago TJ Oshie actually became a household name in America for his shootout mastery. That's great for the NHL, and hockey in general.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017

It didn't make the highlight shows. NFL season was just getting going and Division/Wild Card chases in baseball were starting to heat up. That's what people were caring about

Also nobody even really knew if they were playing for a trophy or medal or what the winners get. Or what Team North America or Team Europe were about. It was weird. Seemed illegitimate.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
6 times in 25 years. that's how often. for all that investement, the return has been nada

and right now I suspect that a very very small minority of non hockey fans could pick TJ oshie out of a lineup or even guess what team he plays for in the NHL. The fact that the NHL is contractually prevented from showing TJ oshie scoring those goals as a tie in to help promote the game might have something to do with it.

in the plan is to get the country all lathered up about hockey players 14 days every 4 years and not a day in between, that's a pretty crappy way to run a league.

I bet right now more people remember that bob costas got pink eye than TJ oshies shootout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad