Do you care that the NHL isn't going to the olympics

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
For all the whining and complaints from the players do fans actually care?

I'm glad that they aren't, don't care about Canada at international tournaments (unpopular mindset probably). And I'm glad that it doesn't delay the season and risk injury to the leagues biggest stars.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Yes and no. Yes, Olympic Ice Hockey is pretty much all I watch of the games and having the best playing head to head is good. No because it helps my NHL team; our players don't have extra hockey to play and therefore don't risk extra injury or fatigue.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Yes. It's the most prestigious and important international tournament for Hockey and the NHL has made a terrible decision both for expanding their product and for their dedicated fans. By not allowing their players to participate the NHL clearly has adopted an attitude that it's bigger than the sport of Hockey.

It's a damn disgrace the best players will not be representing their countries at an event with the fanfare and tradition of the Olympics.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not really, from reading what the IOC got from having NHL players in the Olympics crushes what the NHL got from having NHL players in the Olympics. The NHL gets basically no financial reward, has to pay for all of the players in terms of insurance, housing, meals and such and they have all of the risk in the event. The NHL gets nothing out of NHL players going to the Olympics and gets a lot of negatives from going. The only positive they get is exposure, but that's not worth the risk of player injury and massive money loss that the NHL has to have from players going.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I think it is a travesty that our best young stars like McDavid, Matthews, Laine, Kuznetsov, etc don't get to battle it out on the biggest sports stage on earth.

Say what you want about the politics of it, every hockey player growing up wants two things. To win the cup, and to win the Olympic gold medal. Ripping one of those away from these guys is disgusting IMO.

I suppose the NHL has a business, and it's their job to be profitable, but I find it to be a damn shame that we don't get to see true best on best hockey. The fact they thought it could be replaced by some gimmick tournament in the offseason is even worse.

Listen to the players thoughts in interviews. Everyone is disgusted by it. Has everyone forgot Crosby's golden goal? Or Lemieux letting the puck go through his legs to Sakic? The shootout with Tommy Salo?

This is iconic stuff amongst hockey's greatest moments ever. There has to be a way to rectify this for the next one.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think it is a travesty that our best young stars like McDavid, Matthews, Laine, Kuznetsov, etc don't get to battle it out on the biggest sports stage on earth.

Say what you want about the politics of it, every hockey player growing up wants two things. To win the cup, and to win the Olympic gold medal. Ripping one of those away from these guys is disgusting IMO.

I suppose the NHL has a business, and it's their job to be profitable, but I find it to be a damn shame that we don't get to see true best on best hockey. The fact they thought it could be replaced by some gimmick tournament in the offseason is even worse.

Listen to the players thoughts in interviews. Everyone is disgusted by it. Has everyone forgot Crosby's golden goal? Or Lemieux letting the puck go through his legs to Sakic? The shootout with Tommy Salo?

This is iconic stuff amongst hockey's greatest moments ever. There has to be a way to rectify this for the next one.

Maybe the IOC shouldn't have been greedy ****s about NHL players going. Want to blame someone for NHL players not going? Blame the IOC for making the NHL take on all of the risk with absolutely no reward for the NHL. They basically wanted NHL players to go to the Olympics, have the NHL fund everything (from housing to food to insurance) and get all of the profits from the games.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
I enjoy Olympic hockey, but I don't really care that much as Canada would thump any other team quite easily this year. I do want to see them go in 2022 as the US will have a much stronger team.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Doesnt the NHL get screwed financially and the IOC get pretty much gets no risk

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
No, because them going means kow-towing to the IOC who is jockeying for "Most Corrupt And Shitty Sports Organization" with FIFA.

Reactions: Iron Mosher

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
Yes. It's the most prestigious and important international tournament for Hockey and the NHL has made a terrible decision both for expanding their product and for their dedicated fans. By not allowing their players to participate the NHL clearly has adopted an attitude that it's bigger than the sport of Hockey.

It's a damn disgrace the best players will not be representing their countries at an event with the fanfare and tradition of the Olympics.

Certainly your opinion

I'd trade all the gold medals Canada has ever won for a Oilers stanley cup. I'm sure plenty of fans of other teams would do so.

And yes, before anyone accuses me of being otherwise, I am Canadian, born and raised in Edmonton, and currently reside here.

Reactions: RegDunlop

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Yes. Best vs best on the biggest stage, it’s great hockey.... Also, likely the only opportunity to have Crosby and McDavid on the same team.

I definitely feel like we’re missing out as fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad