Disappointed, Surprised and Annoyed

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Realistically we have to hit on at least a few other outside picks. That more than anything is what has doomed Edmonton and Buffalo for instance. Their first round guys with a few exceptions but aren't awful players. They haven't done anything outside of those rounds is a part of the problem. If we are going to be good again guys like Hronek are going to have to beat their development position. We are going to need a few of those even if we get lucky with the lottery and get a couple very high end picks the next couple of years.

Agreed, and as I said in the standings thread, at least we have some ammo to be able to package these picks together and move around.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Yeah, I think/hope Kronwall "retires" this offseason. He's only due to get paid 1.75M so I would not be surprised. And I think Z is gone the following offseason when his salary drops to 1M.
How much can they have on ltir at one time?

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
The Tatar trade was a really good piece of business today in my opinion.

Also as great as this run is, as much as I like them and their coach. I think Vegas is going to have a high second round pick next year, not sure they can catch lightning in the bottle again next year. So kind of like overachieving Ottawa a year ago we control the pick of the team most likely in the NHL to bottom out and make that a really good second rounder.

Really happy with that deal. He should have dealt Green a few weeks ago, the injury factor was sighted by a lot of us saying don't wait until the deadline on Green.
I agree. Vegas could be near the bottom next year. There whole team had a chip on there shoulders. Now that some guys are getting extensions, and other teams believe they are for real I could see them coming back to earth next season

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I know it is a fun narrative, but it is worth noting that the most important player in the Chicago dynasty at least in my opinion is a 2nd round draft pick.
Or a first overall pick, depends on how you slice it.

Also, for everyone disappointed, it's just like, why? Holland did a lot more than expected. This is a guy you can have NO expectations for, and not trading Green isn't surprising at all. Him trading Tatar for that haul? Now THAT'S surprising, he certainly exceeded my expectations.

Reactions: mjtm777 and Fynn

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I'd say everything worked out perfectly for me. I never trusted Mrazek to become consistent. Tatar is okay but for the sweet return I'm more than happy to lose him. I need AA on my team for entertainment value in the upcoming years. And I think Green is critical to the young forwards' development (and also my entertainment value).

So win-win-win-win-win for me!

Suck it hfboards.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Also getting this 2019 2nd from Vegas is a smart deal. Their wonder-run could end at next season and they could hit the bottom on the standings. Then it could be real high 2nd, like what happened to our Ottawa 2nd (from Smith-trade) this year. TOP40 pick.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Why move AA for a low first round pick? You're lucky if the player you select even turns into AA. He's still young and cheap enough that you hang onto him.

Reactions: kliq

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I am bummed they didn't trade Green, not just because the Wings didn't pick up another pick. But also because with Green gone from the blueline this defensive corps would be even worse and should help the draft position over the rest of the season.

I'm pleasantly surprised about the Tatar deal though, even though I liked him as a player.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Also getting this 2019 2nd from Vegas is a smart deal. Their wonder-run could end at next season and they could hit the bottom on the standings. Then it could be real high 2nd, like what happened to our Ottawa 2nd (from Smith-trade) this year. TOP40 pick.

I said earlier, I really like that aspect of this. I actually would bank on Vegas being out of the playoffs next year.

Not sure if they have conditions on which one they can give us. Remember they stockpiled a ton of picks.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Why move AA for a low first round pick? You're lucky if the player you select even turns into AA. He's still young and cheap enough that you hang onto him.
Based on my data, from 2005-2013, the last 6 picks in the 1st round had an average of .46 P/G for forwards. AA is at .467 P/G for his career. He's also played above the average number of games played (including players who busted and played 0).

You're not likely to upgrade a player from AA picking that low in the first. Maybe if he was 30+ and on the downswing and you wanted to reset and find a similar/potentially better player at a younger age that would be around when you're ready to compete for the cup. But he's only 23. Such a move doesn't make much sense to me.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Not great not moving Green, but others have said he would onyl waive for 2 places and one of those places got Mcdonagh. TSN's producer tweeted that Green wouldnt waive for Toronto so obviously Holland tried and shopped him around a bit. That haul for Tatar is pretty sweet though, Islanders 2nd? If JT walks thats a good pick.

Wings cleared about 10 million in cap space and now have 10 picks in the first 3 rounds the next 2 drafts. They should have 4 (!) top 40 picks one of which that will be top 10 in this years draft. Thats pretty good, but could have possibly been better had the Green situation played out better

Reactions: datsyukfan

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
f*** Mike Green.
He could have helped this team out by getting traded for 6 weeks.
But he chose not to.
That was his right - granted him by Holland.
But Green could have helped and he didn't.

I see no reason to bring him back.
We've got Daley as an RHD.
We've got Jensen as an RHD
We've got Hronek as an RHD.

I think I'd rather sign JMFJ to play LHD if we're going to sign a UFA D.

And by the way, what's Green's big deal anyway?
Powerplay? Our powerplay is shit.

Even strength?
He's got 13 5 on 5 points
Green 13
Jensen 10
Ericsson 9
Dekeyser 7
Daley 7
Ouellet 5
Kronwall 5

Primary points
Ericsson 8
Green 6
Kkensen 6
Dekeyser 5
Daley 5
Kronwall 2
Ouellet 2

Points/60
Green .76
Jensen .75
Ouellet .65
Dekeyser .55
Ericsson .55
Daley .46
Kronwall .27

Offensive zone start percent
Kronwall 41.6
Green 34.4
Ouellet 31.2
Jensen 30.0
Dekeyser 29.4
Daley 28.9
Ericsson 26.3

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
another big wall of stats from redder winger that i'll ignore just like all his other useless walls of stats

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
**** Mike Green.

We've got Daley as an RHD.
We've got Jensen as an RHD
We've got Hronek as an RHD.

You always seem to have false facts, when you try to bash something good.

Daley is LhD. Guy can play the right side, but every lefty play better on the left side.

Trevor+Daley+1gdv8lNf026m.jpg

But keep bashing with your false facts. :popcorn:

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Based on my data, from 2005-2013, the last 6 picks in the 1st round had an average of .46 P/G for forwards. AA is at .467 P/G for his career. He's also played above the average number of games played (including players who busted and played 0).

You're not likely to upgrade a player from AA picking that low in the first. Maybe if he was 30+ and on the downswing and you wanted to reset and find a similar/potentially better player at a younger age that would be around when you're ready to compete for the cup. But he's only 23. Such a move doesn't make much sense to me.

That data you just showed is why I'm not big on the Tatar trade.
I mean, it sounds good. I sounds great compared to the Kane return.
But I figure he's got another 5-6-7 years left as a 20 goal guy.
Good luck getting that late in round 1.

You're fairly fortunate if you get a Riley Sheahan at 25 overall.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
1) I am disappoint that Green wasn't moved. I don't hold it against Holland for hanging onto Green until getting a good offer but the injury messed all that up, them's da brakes. Even before his injury I thought TB would pass on Green because he isn't the best out there for actual defense, which is important on a good run to the SC. Getting Green would have cost TB less... but they have enough offense.

2) Surprised and happy for this trade. I didn't think it would happen due to term and how shit he's looked since the halfway mark.

3) Even though AA and management have had some drama I would've been surprised if he was moved.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Yes, I want green back for max 2 years but preferbly a 1 year deal. I know that is unlikely but would be best case scenario.
If we re-sign him, it'll be a three year deal. He's going to want stability. There's a ZERO% chance he signs for one year. on the UFA market he may sign a 5 year deal.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
That data you just showed is why I'm not big on the Tatar trade.
I mean, it sounds good. I sounds great compared to the Kane return.
But I figure he's got another 5-6-7 years left as a 20 goal guy.
Good luck getting that late in round 1.

You're fairly fortunate if you get a Riley Sheahan at 25 overall.
Meh.

He's already 27. I'll be happy if we're ready to truly contend in 3 years. He's 30 by then. He makes the team better and makes it harder to tank. Wings have had good success finding Tatar level players beyond the 1st round. With 2 bites at that apple from the trade, and a much delayed 3rd bite, I'm fairly sure we can replace him.

I think at worst we tread water with the Tatar trade while also making the team worse to help the tank.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Got to try and resign green now tbh, trading Tatar allows that to happen though.

I'm super confused about this tbh. But like others have said, that return for Tatar is amazing, I would've been fine with a 2nd and a 3rd.

Holland probably had a good deal in place with Tampa and was just waiting for the Mcd talks to fall through, but sadly they didn't and Holland probably ran out of teams that green was willing to move to and at the same time actually give something up for him.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Meh.

He's already 27. I'll be happy if we're ready to truly contend in 3 years. He's 30 by then. He makes the team better and makes it harder to tank. Wings have had good success finding Tatar level players beyond the 1st round. With 2 bites at that apple from the trade, and a much delayed 3rd bite, I'm fairly sure we can replace him.

I think at worst we tread water with the Tatar trade while also making the team worse to help the tank.

Right. He's 27.
If he has 5-6 more years, that's pretty hard to replicate.
You say "at worst' we tread water.

Trust me, looking our our later first round picks (21 and beyond), I can see doing worse than Tatar.

You have to go back to 2000 (Kronwall) for the last time we scored with a later round first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad