Disappointed, Surprised and Annoyed

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
1) Like most others, I am disappointed that Green did not get moved. In hindsight, Kenny should have moved Green to the Caps a couple of weeks ago instead of waiting for T.B. to move on Karlsson and/or McDonagh. Hope Holland can get a late pick from a team who wants a leg up on signing Green in the off season. Have NO interest in re-signing Green.

2) Nicely surprised at the return for Tatar. Thought his move would come at the draft day.

3)Annoyed-I love AA, but I would have gladly sent him to Nashville for the return they gave Chicago(2018 1st, 2018 4th. + Victor Edjsell) in exchange for Ryan Hartman(?????) + 2018 5th.

P.S. Can't believe that I am saying this, but I wish we would STOP winning. Too many teams to hurtle to get a wild card spot, so all we are doing is reducing our shot at a top 5 draft pick.

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
I'm with you on all points, my guess is that holland probably felt he would get most value by waiting for teams to get desperate, And yes I am at the point in the season that I hope every game ends up with 0 points but we keep pulling out W's, maybe we will get a lucky ping pong ball bounce considering what philly and dallas did I have some hope.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I'm with you. The Tatar deal with good, but it doesn't erase the fact that not trading Green was terrible. And now that Holland has admitted he had the chance and didn't take it, there's no excuse at all. The problem wasn't the NTC, it was Holland.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I think that Chicago deal was the best trade this TDL, for Chicago. Which is odd because Poile is one of the best GMs

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Disappointed and annoyed.
Pittsburgh and Chicago found their core players in top 5. That is the only way to do it.
Smith and Tatar deal might be great by themselves, but they won’t help in any way, they have a big zero impact on turning around this team.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
1) Like most others, I am disappointed that Green did not get moved. In hindsight, Kenny should have moved Green to the Caps a couple of weeks ago instead of waiting for T.B. to move on Karlsson and/or McDonagh. Hope Holland can get a late pick from a team who wants a leg up on signing Green in the off season. Have NO interest in re-signing Green.

2) Nicely surprised at the return for Tatar. Thought his move would come at the draft day.

3)Annoyed-I love AA, but I would have gladly sent him to Nashville for the return they gave Chicago(2018 1st, 2018 4th. + Victor Edjsell) in exchange for Ryan Hartman(?????) + 2018 5th.

P.S. Can't believe that I am saying this, but I wish we would STOP winning. Too many teams to hurtle to get a wild card spot, so all we are doing is reducing our shot at a top 5 draft pick.
Sorry to be the bearer of more bad news but HSJ and Khan have already confirmed today that Holland is actively working to resign Green.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Disappointed and annoyed.
Pittsburgh and Chicago found their core players in top 5. That is the only way to do it.
Smith and Tatar deal might be great by themselves, but they won’t help in any way, they have a big zero impact on turning around this team.

I know it is a fun narrative, but it is worth noting that the most important player in the Chicago dynasty at least in my opinion is a 2nd round draft pick.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
It would be bad news only if the new deal is not trade-friendly.
Agreed.

I'm very disappointed we couldn't trade him. I recognize that the injury probably played a big role in that. Re-sign him to a friendly 1-2 year contract, try against next season. As long as he doesn't drop off a cliff or get injured again, he should be worth a 3rd at least. Maybe even a 2nd or low 1st. Much better imo, than trying to offload him for a 6th rounder this season or whatever it would have taken to get someone to take him with that big question mark around him.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Yeah I guess I should have just posted his name. But yeah he was the engine that drove the Hawks. They didn't win without him at his absolute best in terms of the years they won. Kane was a monster too, but they survived rounds where either Toews or Kane weren't at their absolute optimum. When Keith struggled in a couple of those runs they went golfing...

Re-signing Green isn't the end of the world. But it is a failure to admit where we are again. Also, I guess it would make a heck of a lot more sense if Holland was already under contract. That is another thing that is troubling about today. Holland has been a seller twice now in the last 20+ years and it is only the last two years. Now if he has a five year contract extension in the works I know people will go nuts but some of today is easy explainable. For the record the wunderkind in Arizona has done this two straight deadlines. But it is establishing with other teams if the prices aren't met he closes up business at a certain point. You can have a variety of feelings on that. But with everything up in the air it just seems like we missed an opportunity to improve, if they re-sign Green it at least makes more sense.

Last edited:

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Maybe they know Kronwall is going ltir retire this summer so they want green around for a couple more years at Kronwall type money. When is E’s contract up?

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Yeah I guess I should have just posted his name. But yeah he was the engine that drove the Hawks. They didn't win without him at his absolute best in terms of the years they won. Kane was a monster too, but they survived rounds where either Toews or Kane weren't at their absolute optimum. When Keith struggled in a couple of those runs they went golfing...
Couldn’t agree more. Same thing with wings they could always get by without one of dats or z at tunes because they had Lidstrom

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Yes, I want green back for max 2 years but preferbly a 1 year deal. I know that is unlikely but would be best case scenario.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Gotta hit on your high and non-high picks, but yeah both those forwards were taken in the top 3 in case anyone forgot.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Great day for Red Wings.

Tatar goes, and there's no single negatives on this trade.

- Team did get worse, so we have higher possibilities for own higher 1st.
- Getting those futures, huge return, 1+2+3 rounds. Vegas could fall fast at the playoffs, so it has higher probability to be higher 1st rounder, than some Tampa 1st.
- Tatar opened capspace for Green extension. We need more RhD than we need a lefty smallish winger. We have replacement prospects coming, but not so much RhDs. Hronek can be on next year's team, but still, there isn't any extra RhDs ready. We could go with Green-Hronek-Jensen on the right side at maximum, but without Green we don't have the 3rd guy. And if Green will get extended, short-term, like 2 years, nothing prevents us selling him on some later deadlines, and getting futures.
- I'm not sure about this, but team should have capspace without Franzen on LTIR at some point as we go nearer of the season end. This means that some part of Larkin's ELC bonuses will stay on this years cap, and won't slide to next year. So we have more capspace on use at next year. Tatar gone has double effect for two seasons cap figures.

Kenny did hit so many nails on one coffin, and I can't be any happier.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Gotta hit on your high and non-high picks, but yeah both those forwards were taken in the top 3 in case anyone forgot.

Realistically we have to hit on at least a few other outside picks. That more than anything is what has doomed Edmonton and Buffalo for instance. Their first round guys with a few exceptions have been pretty good and aren't awful players though a couple notable busts. They haven't done anything outside of those rounds is the bigger part of the problem. If we are going to be good again guys like Hronek are going to have to beat their development position. We are going to need a few of those even if we get lucky with the lottery and get a couple very high end picks the next couple of years.

Last edited:

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Maybe they know Kronwall is going ltir retire this summer so they want green around for a couple more years at Kronwall type money. When is E’s contract up?

Yeah, I think/hope Kronwall "retires" this offseason. He's only due to get paid 1.75M so I would not be surprised. And I think Z is gone the following offseason when his salary drops to 1M.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Great day for Red Wings.

Tatar goes, and there's no single negatives on this trade.

-Team did get worse, higher possibilities for own higher 1st.
- Getting those futures, huge return, 1+2+3 rounds. Vegas could fall fast at the playoffs, so it has higher probability to be higher 1st rounder, than some Tampa 1st.
-Tatar opened capspace for Green extension. We need more RhD than we need a lefty smallish winger. We have replacement prospects coming, but not so much RhDs. Hronek can be on next year's team, but still, there isn't any extra RhDs ready. We could go with Green-Hronek-Jensen on the right side at maximum, but without Green we don't have the 3rd guy. And if Green will get extended, short-term, like 2 years, nothing prevents us selling him on some later deadlines, and getting futures.
- Team has now capspace without Franzen on LTIR. This means that Larkin's bonuses will stay on this years cap, and won't slide to next year. So we have more capspace on use at next year. Tatar gone has double effect for two seasons cap figures.

Kenny did hit so many nails on one coffing, and I can't be any happier.

The Tatar trade was a really good piece of business today in my opinion.

Also as great as this run is, as much as I like them and their coach. I think Vegas is going to have a high second round pick next year, not sure they can catch lightning in the bottle again next year. So kind of like overachieving Ottawa a year ago we control the pick of the team most likely in the NHL to bottom out and make that a really good second rounder.

Really happy with that deal. He should have dealt Green a few weeks ago, the injury factor was sighted by a lot of us saying don't wait until the deadline on Green.

Reactions: mjtm777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad