Did Tim Murray destroy our rebuild?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Just think if disco had used Sam at center during Eichel’s injury last year. A. they would’ve known better how he might respond in that situation and B. He would’ve been 20 or 30 games farther along in use as a center when he started this season. That guy was a bum.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Just think if disco had used Sam at center during Eichel’s injury last year. A. they would’ve known better how he might respond in that situation and B. He would’ve been 20 or 30 games farther along in use as a center when he started this season. That guy was a bum.

Can't tell if serious. Reinhart is still not playing center because he can't play center at the NHL level, which Bylsma knew, which is why Bylsma didn't play him at center.

Reactions: kummelweck

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Can't tell if serious. Reinhart is still not playing center because he can't play center at the NHL level, which Bylsma knew, which is why Bylsma didn't play him at center.

You should take off the agenda goggles and pay attention.

Housley started Reinhart at center because they wanted to get him back to the position he was drafted to play.

They didn't move him to wing because he was failing at center. Housley said he moved Reinhart to wing so he could get him producing with better talent.

He's still at wing because he's slumping, but the initial move to wing had zero to do about him failing at center. Housely's assessment, not mine.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
plug_ears.jpg

You should take off the agenda goggles and pay attention.

Housley started Reinhart at center because they wanted to get him back to the position he was drafted to play.

They didn't move him to wing because he was failing at center. Housley said he moved Reinhart to wing so he could get him producing with better talent.

He's still at wing because he's slumping, but the initial move to wing had zero to do about him failing at center. Housely's assessment, not mine.

Nope. Murray's fault.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
He did for a time at the start of the season. If they had done that last year to gauge where he was at they might have known going into this year where he was in terms of lineup decisions.

He did play some games at center under Bylsma.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
He didn't fail at center? How was his production? I'm curious what your threshold is for success.

You're missing the point. Reinhart wasn't producing at 3C. Housley didn't move him from 3C to RW because he wasn't producing at 3C. He moved him because his wingers were AHL quality, and he wanted to jump start him with better talent.

Big difference from having Reinhart play center with good wingers and still not produce.

Interesting that you're quoting production for Reinhart when most of team isn't producing.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
2017-18
Eichel w/ Reinhart GF 60%
Eichel w/o Reinhart GF 48%

We lose when Eichel is on the ice without Reinhart
We win when Eichel is on the ice with Reinhart

Reinhart makes high talent players better... he has for his entire career.
But... Reinhart is relatively useless when playing with middle and bottom tier talent.

Some may not value that type of player, he certainly has his flaws... and he's certainly lineup limited.
Others value a guy who makes their best player(s) better...

Yakupov never did anything positive on the ice. While stat sheet fans may make the correlation.... NHL scouts/GMs are much smarter than that.

From another thread. This is the value of Reinhart. Doubt you'll see it. It isn't on NHL.com's stats board.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Interesting that you're quoting production for Reinhart when most of team isn't producing.

He's not an NHL caliber center. If he was he would be playing center and producing. Especially in the Sabres case where, as you point out, they are desperate for production.

RhinosLastFan

Nov 7, 2017
He's not an NHL caliber center. If he was he would be playing center and producing. Especially in the Sabres case where, as you point out, they are desperate for production.

I disagree just simply because of his linemates. Griffith, Girgs and Larsson have a combined 11 pts. Samson is a playmaker. Playmakers needs scorers to which Jack and Kane are the only two he's ever played with...

Playing time matters as well. Going from 2RW to 3C should drop his production.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

You've appealed to authority using Bylsma.

You can't prove your point either. Show comparisons which prove that you're right.

You won't. You can't.

Reactions: ZZamboni

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Well, to summarize without using fancy charts or anything...

Reinhart isn't a player that will 'drive' a line. He won't raise the level of play of lower players. No, he's not that type of guy. He's a guy that will make good players even better.

Maybe that's not something you want out of your 2nd Overall Pick, and that's fair, you're entitled to that opinion. That's not the same as saying he's failed at the NHL level. He has rarely been placed in a position where he excels the most, so you can't accurately assess his full potential.

If he was 3C on the 2006-2007 Sabres and wasn't producing, yeah maybe he's not an NHL center. But at this point, Vanek and Afinogenov aren't the 3rd line wings.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I think Pegula was forced by the 19,00 fans who were chanting "Fire Darcy" during games. From the moment Darcy uttered the word "suffering," the season ticket holders were the ones saying abort. I think he would have preferred to leave him in charge, but relented to an angry fan base. That's just my take.

Yes, I've said this before too. I do think it played a part for sure.

I remember pretty shortly before Regier was fired (I don't remember exactly how long it was), Pegula was giving an interview to the media and was asked some question about firing Darcy and he said "why? What has he done wrong?", implying that he had done nothing wrong to deserve to be fired.

Then the "fire Darcy" chants started at every game, and the petitions to fire him started circulating.

He was fired shortly after that and Pegula couldn't really give a legit reason. He said something like "the only reason I can give is that you have to be able to work together every day" (or something like that).

Darcy definitely played his part in being fired though. There were plenty of legitimate reasons to fire him.

SamsonReinFart

Mar 15, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I'm a little late, but I am tired of hearing Myers for Bogosian as being a wash. Myers was better then, is better now, and I'd put my money on him being better going forward.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Well, to summarize without using fancy charts or anything...

Reinhart isn't a player that will 'drive' a line. He won't raise the level of play of lower players. No, he's not that type of guy. He's a guy that will make good players even better.

Maybe that's not something you want out of your 2nd Overall Pick, and that's fair, you're entitled to that opinion. That's not the same as saying he's failed at the NHL level. He has rarely been placed in a position where he excels the most, so you can't accurately assess his full potential.

If he was 3C on the 2006-2007 Sabres and wasn't producing, yeah maybe he's not an NHL center. But at this point, Vanek and Afinogenov aren't the 3rd line wings.

Smart response.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad