Rumor: Dhaliwal: Edmonton Oilers are strongly after Chris Tanev

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
With Tanev, Edmonton would be without an elite defensemen, but that dcorps would still be very deep
That would be their best defensive squad since forever

Kulak is a solid 3rd pairing defenseman, they would have to figure out something about their 6th I guess

And the goalie thing too

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
And Tanev prefers the Canucks because??

I'd guess if he's picking the destination, like most players he'd like to go to the USA. Maybe Toronto as he's from there and it's out east, with less travel

He played his whole career in Vancouver until moron GM ghosted him when he didn't want to leave.

He offered the team a discount deal.

A young core most of which lived with him until he left

Boeser, Pettersson, Demko, Hughes all grew up calling him dad

1st place team in the league

Lost in game 7 SCF in his rookie year and has the chance to return for a first-pass cup win like Bourque or Willie Mitchell

Imagine the NHL defenseman he literally raised giving you the first pass in team history while shouting "Dad!" after his triumphant return to his "hometown" team, it goes in the discussion with best cup passes, especially since Tanev was so close in his rookie year and it's his son's rookie year as captain.

edit: extra expecially because your son became the best defenseman in the NHL, and if the Canucks win the cup Hughes will absolutely be in the discussion, AND he will be your d- partner

In another post you mention who he thinks is most likely to win the cup, and that's definitely relevant however I'd argue it's more relevent when choosing between teams you have no history with.

Even if Edmonton has a better chance, would Tanev rather win with players he knows and loves or with strangers? Keep in mind the team he knows and loves is 1st in the league and clears #2 by like 6 points, they're also 15 points ahead of the other interested team.

Last edited:

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
He played his whole career in Vancouver until moron GM ghosted him when he didn't want to leave.

He offered the team a discount deal.

A young core most of which lived with him until he left

Boeser, Pettersson, Demko, Hughes all grew up calling him dad

1st place team in the league

Lost in game 7 SCF in his rookie year and has the chance to return for a first-pass cup win like Bourque or Willie Mitchell

Imagine the NHL defenseman he literally raised giving you the first pass in team history while shouting "Dad!" after his triumphant return to his "hometown" team, it goes in the discussion with best cup passes, especially since Tanev was so close in his rookie year and it's his son's rookie year as captain.

In another post you mention who he thinks is most likely to win the cup, and that's definitely relevant however I'd argue it's more relevent when choosing between teams you have no history with.

Even if Edmonton has a better chance, would Tanev rather win with players he knows and loves or with strangers? Keep in mind the team he knows and loves is 1st in the league and clears #2 by like 6 points, they're also 15 points ahead of the other interested team.
some fan bases don’t like acknowledging they Vancouver is a highly sought after market to play in, even when they lose out on players they are still usually on the short list of teams they are considering.

When you talk about being a cup contender, the difference between Vancouver and Edmonton is fairly even on odds to win it all. So who wouldn’t take the better place to live?

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
some fan bases don’t like acknowledging they Vancouver is a highly sought after market to play in, even when they lose out on players they are still usually on the short list of teams they are considering.

When you talk about being a cup contender, the difference between Vancouver and Edmonton is fairly even on odds to win it all. So who wouldn’t take the better place to live?

I don't even think it even comes down to better places to live, he wanted to stay even when the Canucks were ass, it's like if Sam Gagner requested to come to the Canucks instead of the Oilers when he has a chance to show that the decade of darkness is gone and it was all worth it.

To throw away the chance to be an Oilers legend after all these years for a run with a team who would put your name up in history with guys like Chris Higgins and Maxim Lapierre is not close.

Reactions: Three On Zero

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007

I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting to live in Vancouver vs any other city in the league.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

There are plenty of good reasons that Tanev would prefer the Canucks but we aren't in his head. I don't think we should assume anything, which is what some fanbases love to do

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
He's loved in that locker room and Hughes recently requested they get him. So he might be able to join a very good team and be on the top pair with Hughes right away.

If I were him and I had a choice.. I take Vancouver to be honest. Play with Hughes or play with Nurse. I like Nurse but Hughes is a better option.

FTR.. want this trade to happen for the Oilers badly.

Ek - Bouch
Nurse - Tanev
Kulak - Ceci
VD

Bro on taxi squad

That is a hell of a D core that could compete. Obviously, cap will be a problem and we have to get rid of something.

Ceci would easily be the odd man out.

Love the Oilers this year

We going to be selling so wondering if any interest in Matt Gryzlk or Derek F

We have less then zero interest in LD.

Things the club is rumoured after. top 6 RW, 4th line C, RD upgrade and a veteran 1B goalie.

Now if you wanted to shop Brandon Carlo ...

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
There are plenty of good reasons that Tanev would prefer the Canucks but we aren't in his head. I don't think we should assume anything, which is what some fanbases love to do
When a guy tries to include himself into a trade to get back onto the Canucks, we do know what’s in his head :laugh:

Reactions: Czechboy

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
When a guy tries to include himself into a trade to get back onto the Canucks, we do know what’s in his head :laugh:
If we even would assume there is any truth to that, it mostly just proves he wanted off a team selling off its good players
But sure, we can use that as something to put on the Canucks side. It's just not that firm

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
If we even would assume there is any truth to that, it mostly just proves he wanted off a team selling off its good players
But sure, we can use that as something to put on the Canucks side. It's just not that firm
It was pretty firm, Conroy backed out to try and get more assets

Reactions: Mr Positive

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I imagine he’ll be happy with a chance to win this year, no matter where it is. He can sign where he wants in the summer

Would you rather win with your hometown team who you raised and didn't want to leave even when they were a lottery team when that team is 1st in the league? He got to g7 SCF in his rookie year and knows how unlikely that is, why miss out on maybe the team's best chance.

Or would you rather win with a team you have no connection to?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I imagine he’ll be happy with a chance to win this year, no matter where it is. He can sign where he wants in the summer
I do think his preference does matter, but I agree he would be quite flexible. Calgary's preference probably matters more.

If some eastern conference team offers a similar value I think that's where he goes

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
It’s interesting that this would come from Vancouver insider Dhaliwal.

Everything that has been coming from media guys who are well connected with the Oilers suggest they are after guys like Walker/Carrier who are more transitional defenders.

Maybe Tanev could be on Edmontons list but either way they would be smart to feign interest, keep the negotiation going and drive up the price for Vancouver, help the Flames and thenselves out. We know Vancouver really wants Tanev back and it’s likely they absolutely don’t want Edmonton getting their hands on him. They balked at a second 1st to include him in the Lindholm deal but when push comes to shove they’ll pay up to get their man and keep Edmonton from getting him.

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
Tanev will be faded by the time the Flames hit their compete window. If we're committing to a retool./minor rebuild then who cares if we boost division rivals?

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
Would you rather win with your hometown team who you raised and didn't want to leave even when they were a lottery team when that team is 1st in the league? He got to g7 SCF in his rookie year and knows how unlikely that is, why miss out on maybe the team's best chance.

Or would you rather win with a team you have no connection to?
which team has McDavid? :laugh:

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad