Rumor: Dhaliwal: Edmonton Oilers are strongly after Chris Tanev

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'd rather overpay in free agency TBH, especially if that means getting a 1st instead of a 2nd round pick, or a B prospect over nothing.

Frankly we're f***ed if we move Markstrom, so I'd rather gather as much for futures as we can from the other deadline deals and overpay on a 1-2 year placeholder.
I suppose it depends on how management sees it. Maybe they think the other goalies can approximate Markstrom, or they are getting a decent goalie back, or that Markstrom really won't be traded.

I'd also say that perhaps a lot depends on how they view Ceci (or Kulak I guess). If he's a pure cap dump in their eyes then I doubt we do this deal, but maybe every team after Tanev needs to send back cap (?). Personally I get that a lot of Oilers fans and media like Ceci for his defensive prowess and cite different things, but I don't like him, at all. So in that I get Flames fans not being inspired by the idea of him as a positive as part of the deal. But there is some argument that maybe the Flames understand

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I suppose it depends on how management sees it. Maybe they think the other goalies can approximate Markstrom, or they are getting a decent goalie back, or that Markstrom really won't be traded.

I'd also say that perhaps a lot depends on how they view Ceci (or Kulak I guess). If he's a pure cap dump in their eyes then I doubt we do this deal, but maybe every team after Tanev needs to send back cap (?). Personally I get that a lot of Oilers fans and media like Ceci for his defensive prowess and cite different things, but I don't like him, at all. So in that I get Flames fans not being inspired by the idea of him as a positive as part of the deal. But there is some argument that maybe the Flames understand
Another thing neither of us has brought up, but should have, is the Oilers can't make this deal without moving Ceci or another player to fit Tanev under the cap. That really kills any value, that's basically how we got Kuzmenko for free in the Lindholm deal.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Why?

Would they deal him to Colorado who are a bigger obstacle to them winning a Cup? Or Vegas? or Dallas?

If they don't trade him to Edmonton when they have the best offer because of a petty rivalry they should all be fired immediately. Now if the offer is the same as the others fair enough, but not if it is the best offer out there.

ask any flames fan how would they feel, if on the outside chance, hell does freeze over, christ comes back, there is world peace and Tanev helps the oilers win the cup?

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
ask any flames fan how would they feel, if on the outside chance, hell does freeze over, christ comes back, there is world peace and Tanev helps the oilers win the cup?

I am a Flames fan and talk to many of them, I think any Flames fan would be pissed if the Oilers won the Cup. The chances of that happening because they added Tanev and not because McDavid and Draisaitl were on heaters is pretty slim.

Sure some of the more emotional/delusional fans might overreact but it would be silly.

If you are telling me I can have a 1st and Broberg (not a realistic return just using hyperbole to show a clear better offer) or a 2nd from Dallas, I take the OIlers deal everyday of the week.

The Flames aren't competing with the Oilers and only the Oilers. My goal is for the Flames to win the Cup not for the Oilers not to win the Cup. To do that we need top players so we have to take whatever the best deal is. Worrying about if that deal wins the Oilers the Cup is a loser way to run a hockey team.

Now if it is a 2nd from Edm and a 2nd from Dallas then 100% go with Dallas. But if the Flames have a fear that the Oilers will win the Cup with a player they deal away they are focusing on the wrong things.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If we don't win, I don't give 2 shits who does.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Literally nobody has suggested the Flames will take a lesser offer fromm Edmonton champ. Take the attitude back to Calgary Puck.
Maybe read the offers in the thread? Like the absolute delusional notion that the Flames would both retain and take pure cap dumps like Ceci or Kulak for free.

And it seems like OIlers care more about CP then anyone else. That inferiority complex really is a mess.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Maybe read the offers in the thread? Like the absolute delusional notion that the Flames would both retain and take pure cap dumps like Ceci or Kulak for free.

And it seems like OIlers care more about CP then anyone else. That inferiority complex really is a mess.
I have read this thread. You're offended because people disagree on the value of your players. That doesn't in any way translate to "doing the Oilers favours". Oiler fans know that the Flames will take the best offer. The issue here is that you think the best offer will be more than some Oiler fans are suggesting. Doing a favour would be taking a lesser deal than another team offered. Nobody has suggested that as a possibility other than you.

Last edited:
Reactions: capazzo

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Why?

Would they deal him to Colorado who are a bigger obstacle to them winning a Cup? Or Vegas? or Dallas?

If they don't trade him to Edmonton when they have the best offer because of a petty rivalry they should all be fired immediately. Now if the offer is the same as the others fair enough, but not if it is the best offer out there.

They can’t get fired when the directive to be petty and f*** with the Oilers comes straight from ownership as it always has.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
He's clearly making a Trojan Horse comment, where Tanev would intentionally destroy the Oilers from within.

That poster is constantly trolling anything Oilers related and Tanev is a high character guy who would never be one to intentionally suck or sluck. With a modified NTC he controls where he ends up so it's not like Calgary could ship him somewhere he doesn't want to go just cause the team offer them an over payment. An unhappy un motivated Tanev is still an upgrade on Ceci. The comment didn't go over my head. His comment was stupid as is typical for him.

If we trade for Tanev he will be of the 1st posters telling us how Tanev is no longer a top 4D. The guy posting/baiting is soo obvious he's transparent.

What success? They were so bad they picked #1 overall six times in a decade.

They have arguably the 2 best players in the world and haven't won anything with them.

Names these 6 picks, I'll wait.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Three On Zero

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
They can’t get fired when the directive to be petty and f*** with the Oilers comes straight from ownership as it always has.

I don't think Edwards cares about finishing above Edmonton as much as he cares about maximizing revenue.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Especially the Leafs. They probably would've gone on a deep playoff run or two if they didn't laugh at Tanev proposals years ago when he was actually worth something.
I usually don't like to say this but that was easily east coast bias to me, they just never watched him play at the time

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Toronto saying no to a 1st for Tanev at 28 only to trade a 1st for Tanev at 34 would be.... just amazing.
I mean, I'd love it. That said, what happened 6 years ago is irrelevant today and few GMs would know Tanev better than Treliving, and when he signed him in Calgary we were blast for his contract. He's been one of the best signings we've had in several years

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Would be hesitant to over pay for Tanev unless I’m the Canucks. With the way the current Canucks players talk
About Tanev and the way he talks about them it seems like theirs a high possibility he signs in Van next year.

I THINK based on all that I hear he is a pure rental.

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
I wouldn't trade anyone to the Oilers. No matter what they were offering.

Use them as leverage if anything.
Interesting….. as an Oilers fan I don’t care who we trade with as long as we get the best haul….. I guess it just shows how much the Oilers are in your head…. Maybe this explains why you come in every Oilers thread (non Flame related) and comment…. Hmmmm so be it

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Interesting….. as an Oilers fan I don’t care who we trade with as long as we get the best haul….. I guess it just shows how much the Oilers are in your head…. Maybe this explains why you come in every Oilers thread (non Flame related) and comment…. Hmmmm so be it
I agree with you, especially for a rental.

I really don't understand how some can hate a rival more than they love the team they're supposed to be a fan of. Frankly it's f***ed up.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I don't see it, barring a massive overpayment.

I think when it comes to character guys like Tanev, you ask them where they want to go to among suitors to ensure your expiring vets have the best experience possible. If the Canucks offer is remotely competitive I think he gets sent there. If the Canucks offer a 4th and Edmonton offers a 1st, you take the Oilers offer.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't see it, barring a massive overpayment.

I think when it comes to character guys like Tanev, you ask them where they want to go to among suitors to ensure your expiring vets have the best experience possible. If the Canucks offer is remotely competitive I think he gets sent there. If the Canucks offer a 4th and Edmonton offers a 1st, you take the Oilers offer.
And Tanev prefers the Canucks because??

I'd guess if he's picking the destination, like most players he'd like to go to the USA. Maybe Toronto as he's from there and it's out east, with less travel

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

I'd guess if he's picking the destination, like most players he'd like to go to the USA. Maybe Toronto as he's from there and it's out east, with less travel
He's loved in that locker room and Hughes recently requested they get him. So he might be able to join a very good team and be on the top pair with Hughes right away.

If I were him and I had a choice.. I take Vancouver to be honest. Play with Hughes or play with Nurse. I like Nurse but Hughes is a better option.

FTR.. want this trade to happen for the Oilers badly.

Ek - Bouch
Nurse - Tanev
Kulak - Ceci
VD

Bro on taxi squad

That is a hell of a D core that could compete. Obviously, cap will be a problem and we have to get rid of something.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
He’s fairly abysmal, no one wants to admit it though
He's miscast. The joke I make is that he's a police officer and someone is asking him to put out a fire.

He's done amazing given the situation. So I give him kudos and I was VERY opposed to him coming here.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Tanev never wanted to leave and tried to get himself traded with Lindholm. He is and always will be a Canuck at heart

He's miscast. The joke I make is that he's a police officer and someone is asking him to put out a fire.

He's done amazing given the situation. So I give him kudos and I was VERY opposed to him coming here.
The comment I made really is unfair to Ceci actually after thinking about it. He’s not abysmal, he is just tasked with doing more than he should be doing. He has shown that in a lesser role he would likely excel

Reactions: Czechboy

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He's loved in that locker room and Hughes recently requested they get him. So he might be able to join a very good team and be on the top pair with Hughes right away.

If I were him and I had a choice.. I take Vancouver to be honest. Play with Hughes or play with Nurse. I like Nurse but Hughes is a better option.

FTR.. want this trade to happen for the Oilers badly.

Ek - Bouch
Nurse - Tanev
Kulak - Ceci
VD

Bro on taxi squad

That is a hell of a D core that could compete. Obviously, cap will be a problem and we have to get rid of something.

These are fair points but we just don't know what would drive Tanev's preference. He'd get to play with Hughes in Vancouver, but a lot of players want to play with McDavid and Draisaitl. Also sometimes players don't like to go to an old team and would like a fresh start. Plus the Canucks are the team that didn't want to keep him

A big issue would also be who he sees as the best chance to win a cup. I won't get into what his opinion might be on that but I don't see Vancouver as the spot we should assume he'd prefer at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad