Rumor: Dhaliwal: Edmonton Oilers are strongly after Chris Tanev

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
f*** the AB tax, we prepaid that with the bogus awarded conditional pick.
We also gave them Smid... they owe us.lol

On a serious note.. I read 2 things in the last 24 hours:

1. Holland has never paid a first for a rental
2. No one has offered the Flames a first for Tanev yet

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
We also gave them Smid... they owe us.lol

On a serious note.. I read 2 things in the last 24 hours:

1. Holland has never paid a first for a rental
2. No one has offered the Flames a first for Tanev yet
If you're going to pay a 1st, no reason to offer for him when you can offer it in a package for Hanifin.

Reactions: Czechboy

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Canucks have already made their big move picking up Lindholm and giving up all those assets. Oilers have yet to make theirs... Also, if the Canucks couldn't make it work for Tanev to be a part of the Lindholm deal.. not sure what they would be willing to offer now to bring Daddy Tanev home. Just for the amount of salt in both Vancouver and Calgary, I actually hope Tanev ends up in Edmonton now.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Sorry but media reports say otherwise. I suspect Ken Holland can barely keep it in his pants over the thought of adding Tanev to his top 4 D.

“Media reports” say the Oilers would like to add at forward.

And over 20 years of Holland’s history disagrees with what you “suspect”.

Reactions: Homesick

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Zero value to the Flames. Like I said, if there is value, move him elsewhere, including him in a Tanev proposal does nothing for us. If he was half as good as you're trying to convince us, you'd be trying to get rid of another player.

Dude, don't act all innocent, we all know your schtick is to say things Flames fans disagree with so you can get them going. You've been doing it a long time, that's why you're viewed how you are, even when you happen to be right.

There is a reason why other Oiler posters such as @ChaoticOrange have much better discourse with rival fans.
The thing is he's a fine replacement if they move Tanev. His contract is small fries, it only has one year left, it could likely return another pick next season, he steps in as a capable body on the blueline to help insulate whoever they're going to bring in.

Including him in a proposal for Tanev is perfectly reasonable. Whether you like it or not is another story and that's fine.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Sorry but media reports say otherwise. I suspect Ken Holland can barely keep it in his pants over the thought of adding Tanev to his top 4 D.
Media reports have linked Holland to many Top 4 D. Last year Holland was hot after Chychrun too, but that didn’t happen cause Chychrun was a risky injury concern like Tanev.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

That too but looking for a forward doesn't negate their interest in Tanev.

Reactions: Homesick

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
That too but looking for a forward doesn't negate their interest in Tanev.

Was there something in the article you linked to that says anything about Holland giving up 1sts for rentals?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

I sincerely hope they add at forward and keep their current top 4 intact. The Oilers are scaring me this year. McDavid also needs to pursue his Art Ross trophy and forget this 200 foot game business.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Was there something in the article you linked to that says anything about Holland giving up 1sts for rentals?
No but we do know the Flames asking price for Tanev is a 1st and the Oilers are interested.
Now lets see if you can put 2 and 2 together.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
If you're going to pay a 1st, no reason to offer for him when you can offer it in a package for Hanifin.

Right shot vs left shot, and really 2 different prototypes of players - Hanifin is really the perfect jack of all trades, master of none player there is and is a bonafide top pairing defenceman regardless of who his partner is, while Tanev is a shutdown defenceman that you'd ideally want on a shutdown pairing

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
No but we do know the Flames asking price for Tanev is a 1st and the Oilers are interested.

Calgary can ask for gold bars but if no one is willing to give them that, they will have to take whatever the biggest offer is, which by all accounts currently starts with a 2nd round pick.

Also Frank Seravelli said that the ask from Calgary was a 2nd, they are just trying to see if they can get a 1st before they close the deal. Tanev is an injury prone defenceman so do you really want to wait a few weeks and risk losing him for nothing?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Just trade Tanev to Toronto already, they have a 3rd round pick and Connor Timmins at the ready and you’ll only need to retain 50% for 1 year.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Yeh Nucks homer Dhaliwal said so who’s never had a source on anything Edmontin related before.
Hey far be it from me to try and convince you guys that the Oilers trading a first for Tanev is a good idea... particularly in your playoff run.
I'd just as soon see the Oilers stand pat or at best... trade for some non impact 3rd pairing dman

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hey far be it from me to try and convince you guys that the Oilers trading a first for Tanev is a good idea... particularly in your playoff run.
I'd just as soon see the Oilers stand pat or at best... trade for some non impact 3rd pairing dman

There’s plenty of D-men on the market better and more durable than Tanev. Probably why Flames are finding it hard to get their ask.

Reactions: David71

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
There’s plenty of D-men on the market better and more durable than Tanev. Probably why Flames are finding it hard to get their ask.
Who? Genuine question. There are definitely more durable options, but who on the market is clearly better than Tanev? For the record I probably wouldn't trade a first for him either.

Reactions: Rubi

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Who? Genuine question. There are definitely more durable options, but who on the market is clearly better than Tanev? For the record I probably wouldn't trade a first for him either.
But then again you're not Ken Holland in the 5th year of his 5 year contract. He was hired to get the Oilers to the Stanley Cup and so far it hasn't happened.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

Uh, yeah, because he has no problem trading first round picks. He just doesn’t do it for rentals. It seems clear.

I mean, putting 2 and 2 together looks like if he gets traded to the Oilers, it won’t include a 1st, no?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Nobody thinks Tanev is going to choose his location, however if the values are similar of course they'll take the players wants into consideration.

Also, the Flames have a conditional 3rd on the line if the Canucks make the WCF, but they have to beat the Oilers to do so, so it would make more sense to bet it all on Vancouver as trading to Edmonton could screw them out of a 3rd.
Yeah but is moving from round 4 to 3 really more of a benefit than the first round pick dropping a bunch of spots?

Dubcity

Feb 4, 2018
Also, the Flames have a conditional 3rd on the line if the Canucks make the WCF, but they have to beat the Oilers to do so, so it would make more sense to bet it all on Vancouver as trading to Edmonton could screw them out of a 3rd.
Not exactly cause that would mean our 1st from Vancouver will be later as well. It's a 4th that upgrades to a 3rd if they make the WCF, Conroy just hedged his 1st. I would prefer the highest possible 1st and the 4th. Over a later 1st and 3rd even if it's just a couple spots.

However if it's between Vancouver and Edmonton I would prefer to deal with Vancouver again.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Calgary can ask for gold bars but if no one is willing to give them that, they will have to take whatever the biggest offer is, which by all accounts currently starts with a 2nd round pick.

Also Frank Seravelli said that the ask from Calgary was a 2nd, they are just trying to see if they can get a 1st before they close the deal. Tanev is an injury prone defenceman so do you really want to wait a few weeks and risk losing him for nothing?
I wonder if the Canucks giving up 3 hat tricks in the same game effects what they're willing to pay? I'd rather load up the Canucks to beat the Oilers than send Edmonton their missing piece.

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions
So a 2nd plus what from the Oilers gets you Tanev at 50% retained? Or does it have to be a first?

Would love another team to double retain but that’s another story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad